East Chicago Warnings and Dangers

• sambarnett's Profile Photo

Indiana Harbor

by sambarnett Written Oct 8, 2003

relic from back in the day

Life's been tough in the Harbor in the post-industrialization era. While their still are some nice-looking areas, things look pretty grim around the old millgate, the (former) commercial district and numerous housing projects. There have been a number of murders this year, about 15 I think, so this isn't the kind of place one should be wandering aimlessly around.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo

Problems in EC

by sambarnett Updated Oct 8, 2003

after a fire

EC has a disproportionally higher crime rate than most cities. Most of this revolves around gang and drug activity. I have seen open drug dealing on Kennedy Avenue. The main roads and the places I mention on this site and the casino are generally safe to visit.
       The biggest problem with EC are the industries and what they do to the air quality and environment. Blindfold me, put me in a car and drive me around the Region and I could probably tell you when we've entered EC, the acrid smell of petrochemicals immediately gives me an intense headache. And I'm not the only one who experiences this.

Instant Answers: East Chicago

Comments

East Chicago Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of East Chicago warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for East Chicago sightseeing.