Evansville Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Evansville

• sambarnett's Profile Photo

"Fun" in downtown Evansville

by sambarnett Updated Nov 29, 2002

Fondest memory: My main memory? A greasy, unkempt man on a bike rode past a grotesquely obese woman and commented something along the lines of, "I'm followin' ya." She then began a torrent of loud and graphic obscenities, which she continued with for almost 3 blocks. None of it can be repeated here. Unable to hold in our laughter for long, my friends and I turned a corner and began walking back to the river. Even with over 2 blocks between us we could still hear her ranting. An older gentleman, milling about an empty building muttered, “Ah, just shut up, sweetheart.”

Across the street, a young, dorky-looking and very jittery man bounced around in circles on a street corner. A “don’t walk” sign flashed and he immediately darted into the traffic-less street. “Guys, let’s jaywalk,” I said, “he’s heading our way I don’t wanna I share the same street corner with the freak.” All agreed. As we passed we heard the man alternate between chirping, sucking and humming noises. He reached the next corner, waiting until the sign there said "don't walk" and repeated his odd mannerisms.

I turned to my friends again. "Guys, let's the get the hell out of here."

• You know the Madi Gras is the...

by Bill_Herald Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: You know the Madi Gras is the biggest street festival in American-BUT what's #2? It's right here in Evansville in October-the Westside Nut Club FALL FESTIVAL. Over 100,000 folks patrol the west side of Evansville for a week on Franklin Street enjoying entertainment and exotic foods (Brains are a favorite). The FREEDOM festival is a big event also. It a stop for the unlimited hydroplane professional race tour (Evansville sits right on the Ohio river) and there's always extra entertainment like the Navy's Blue Angels last year. The AZTAR casino riverboat is also an exciting stop for visitors and during the summer ELLIS PARK horse racing is just over the Kentucky border in Henderson. There are several good German resturants that also feature other foods.The Gerst house on West Franklin, Bockleman's on Big Cyntania Road are examples. Elliott's at Marina Pointe offers an excellent view of the Ohio River and The House of Como on Kentucky Avenue near Ellis Park is great for Oriental food.

Fondest memory: The Blue Angels flying down the Ohio River during last year's Freedom Festival was awesome. The friendliness of the people is wonderful too. The spirit of The University of Southern Indiana basketball team when they won another National championship.

• Evansville is a large city...

by litown Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Evansville is a large city with the small town friendlyness. Among the things to visit here is the Mesker Zoo, Casino Astar, Burdette Park, New Harmony close by and the many different types of bars and restaurants.

Fondest memory: Growing up here was great. When I am away I miss my friends at the VFW and the FOP Clubs Where you can set back, drink a few beers and enjoy the conversations

• My favorite part of Evansville...

by ReneeSmithey Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: My favorite part of Evansville is the historic district. If you enjoy turn of the century architecture, this is the place to go and this is where I always start when friends and family visit me. There are a lot of wonderful restaurants here. I recommend Turoni's for pizza, Darryl's for a relaxing atmosphere and a wide menu selection, and the Cork and Cleaver for a romantic atmosphere and a wonderful steak. If you have children and are visiting in the summer, I recommend Burdette Park. It has several diverse activities available including batting cages, putt-putt, fishing, hiking, picnic areas and a great (extremely well supervised) water park. It also has a campsite or A-frames to rent.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory when I am away from home is the small town atmosphere combined with metropolitan activities.

Instant Answers: Evansville

Comments

Evansville Favorites

Reviews and photos of Evansville favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Evansville sightseeing.