Evansville Restaurants

by butterflykizzez04

Best Rated Restaurants in Evansville

• The Gerst Haus Bavarian Restaurant: The German Heritage Shows

by rianp Updated Aug 13, 2007

In a Westside location that appears to have the same age as the city, and every bit of the heritage.

The Gerst Haus is a place we often go on a Friday after work to wind down with plenty of good beer and lots of good people.

This place is very hopping during the week of the Fall Festival, don't expect a quiet meal during the first full week of October.

Favorite Dish: Krautballs. Sausage, Saurkraut and Cheese deep fried in bread crumbs. As much as I didn't want to like it the first time, I can't get enough now.

Traditional "german" food choices dot the menu. Sauerbraten, Wienerschnitzel, Kassler Rippchen etc. There are more "normal" choices for the less adventerous such as Catfish (excellent) and the Chicken Strips.

The side items are to me the main show here. There are these awesome little noodles with gravy that I can never remember the name of, but ask the server and they will gladly oblige. The corncakes are flat like pancakes. They are sweet with a hint of spice due to the Jalapeno added.

I'm not sure how many beers they have, but the answer I always come up with when asked is Enough. The beer list is broken down by country of origin, Germany alone has over 40 choices. The stock is rotated frequently and the prices are very reasonable.

• Turoni's Forget Me Not Inn: Turoni's Pizza. The true best of Evansville

by rianp Written Aug 13, 2007

There are two Turonis locations in town. The Turonis Brewery on Main Street and Turoni's Forget Me Not Inn in midtown on Weinbach.

I much prefer the Weinbach location due to the space provided for seating and parking. Some prefer the original location, to each their own.

The Main St. location is in a bit older and as time passes in a more shady part of town. The Weinbach location is right next to the University of Evansville and the more well off North side, this makes some people more comfortable.

Favorite Dish: The Pizza of course.

Thin crust pizza baked in a brick oven with the perfect amount of fresh toppings.

Turonis also offers 6 varieties of MicroBrewed Beer, 5 staples with one changing per season.

Thunderbolt Red is a favorite but the Spring Time Seasonal Monk's Dubble is never passed up.

• GD Ritzy's: Fast Food that's actually worth it.

by rianp Written Aug 15, 2007

Hamburger and Ice Cream shop that will not dissapoint. Super thin burgers served with shoestring fries.

Favorite Dish: Regular Hamburger and Fries Combo.

Ultimate PB&J sandwich. Peanut Butter with chopped Peanuts on top, with jelly covered in sliced strawberrys.

All ice creams are made in house and will never let you down.

• Rafferty's: Yum Yum ---Double Yum!!

by AFWifeMomof3 Updated Jun 29, 2005

This is the only restaurant we have ever been to that did not have one bad thing about it.
    They have the best service, best food, fair prices, great atsmophere, and spot-on consistency!

Favorite Dish: We have tried a little of this and a lot of that..... it was all delicious!!!

• werebear's Profile Photo

Szechwan: Looking for Excellent Chinese

by werebear Written Jan 21, 2005

Are you looking for good chinese without the buffet? This place is great. The food is excellent. Make sure and try the dumplings appetizer; it is heavenly. If you enjoy got spicy they have some great dishes to sink your teeth in.

Favorite Dish: Dumpling Appetizer

• werebear's Profile Photo

Acropolis: Best Restaurant in Town

by werebear Written Jan 21, 2005

Yes, it's Greek. The restaurant is the greatest. The food is unbelievable. The service is top-notch. And the prices are completely reasonable. I have enjoyed every trip to this place. It is hard to find words to discribe it. Of all my trips, I enjoy this place the best.

Favorite Dish: Gyro Tortellini - Tortelllni in a white sauce. It tastes great and sticks to your bones.

Fried Olives - Like cheese balls but with pieces of olives inside served with some the greatest tomato sauce I have tasted.

• Business Travel

• Cork and Cleaver, Evansville -...

by ReneeSmithey Written Aug 24, 2002

Cork and Cleaver, Evansville - It's on the higher side for this city, running approximately $50 - $60 for two. The atmosphere and the food are worth it. I don't take my children there.

Darryl's, Evansville - This is a great place to relax and they have great food. I take my children there.

Haub's Steak House, Haubstadt - Basically the same price and same menu selection, but I do take my children there.
    At all three the atmosphere is relaxing. At all three a couple can expect to spend from $50 to $100, depending on appetizer, drinks and dessert being added. Cork and Cleaver is more for romance than the other two.

Favorite Dish: At all three restaurants I would recommend the stuffed mushrooms for appetizers, followed by ribeye steak or prime rib. At all, everything I've ever ordered was great.

• Szechwan: Real Chinese really

by ywdmn Updated Jan 28, 2006

Jimmy will ALWAYS makes you feel welcomed. If you are not sure what to have ask Jimmy for suggestions, he has NEVER steered me wrong. Very friendly place and service is great. After the first time I was there they remembered me and what I like. I go there for special occasions usually about 3-4 times a year, yet they remember me like a DAILY customer.

• Hacienda Mexican Restaurant on...

by litown Written Aug 25, 2002

Hacienda Mexican Restaurant on First Avenue, there is no other food I enjoy more and I am not a fan of hot food but it can be ordered 'Sissied' if you want.
    The Atmosphere is great, they are constantly having Mexican holiday specials, the price can't be beat and the staff is the friendliest you will find

Favorite Dish: Tostado and their chips and salsa, which I add lemon juice to 'cool ' it alittle.

• miner's Profile Photo

Temptations Buffet: worth missing

by miner Updated Jan 24, 2008

I thought the buffet was very overpriced with very little to choose from. The catfish was overcooked and the dressing tasted like Stovetop Stuffing gone wrong.
    I hope we just ate there at a bad time and otherwise the food and selection will be better but there are too many other buffets with more options at much lower prices to choose from. I do not plan on going back again.

Favorite Dish: could not describe any dish as a favorite although the fried chicken was not too bad.

• Casino and Gambling

• Hilltop Inn: Old Fashioned Tavern Food

by rianp Written Aug 15, 2007

Small Place, good people, great food. You could go on forever about this Historic location, or any number of things, I prefer to keep it as simple as their food. If you are in town, stop by and grab a bite, you won't be dissapointed.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the simple cheeseburger and fries with a side order of fried cheddar cheese cubes.

Plenty of other options are available on the menu, including pork brain sandwiches, a local favorite, but not my personal favorite.

• BonA68's Profile Photo

The Bar-B-Q Shack: Bummer if you want good Barbecue !

by BonA68 Written Aug 7, 2012

THE BAR-B-Q SHACK (4430 N. First Ave. at North Park Shopping Center, Evansville, Indiana. Ok… so I heard on the news that last week a presidential candidate was in town and was taken to eat at The Bar-B-Q Shack here in town. I love good barbecue and am always hoping to find it in Evansville, especially close to home. It was a Monday and I was ready for lunch. I found the restaurant’s website and checked hours of operation to be sure that they were going to be open for lunch. To my satisfaction the restaurant was open Mon-Thur 11AM-8PM and I drove out to North Park Shopping Center and parked next to the restaurant. I walk up to the door and it was locked, so I located a sign that listed hours of operation… MONDAY CLOSED. Ok, so I wasted my time driving out to the place because they were closed. I returned Tuesday because I was really hungry for some barbecue. When I entered at about noon the restaurant was busy, which is normally a good sign. It was seat-yourself which is fine by me. The table was clean and the waitress was prompt in taking my drink order. I ordered sweet tea and it was delivered right away. When I eat at a barbecue restaurant for the first time I always order the same thing which is a pulled pork sandwich. The menu was pretty wordy and I could not easily locate “pulled pork sandwich” so I went for the next best thing, the Pulled Pork Platter. [Slow smoked for 16 hours our pulled pork is “Fall Off the Bone GOOD” served with two of our homemade sides, rye, pickle, onion and a sweet pickled tomato slice...$9.29] For my sides I ordered a side salad and to eat with the barbecue slaw. My wait time for the food was very reasonable. Right away I was impressed with the meat coming out bare without sauce and that it looks appetizing. I enjoy adding my own sauce to just the barbecued pork. When trying anyone’s barbecue for the first time like to fill up my fork with just the meat and give it a taste. So, I filled up my fork and took my first bite. What I had was a fork full of fat residue (which tastes awful and has a terrible texture). This residue occurs when the meat has been refrigerated and then is warmed up prior to being served. This dry/chalky residue was throughout the meat and covered up any barbecue flavor that might have once existed in the meat. Cooking the meat for 16 hours is probably a great thing. However, the combination of refrigerating the meat and then just warming it up prior to serving is probably not a good idea if you are wanting to deliver “Fall Off the Bone GOOD” barbecue. The salad was adequate. The slaw was bland and boring. Overall, not worth $10+ dollars for lunch (including the drink and tax). Would I recommend this place as a good place for barbecue? NO [P.S. – I always go back a second time to every restaurant that I review, so stay tuned for visit #2 when I try to ribs that everyone seems to enjoy so much.]

Favorite Dish: Perhaps the ribs that I order when I make my next visit will be the best I have ever had ? We shall see...

• Zoo

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Gerst Bavarian Haus: Gerst Bavarian Haus

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

My husband and I was in Evansville In on 10-14-2011 and after reading reviews on here opted to give the German Restaurant Gerst Bavarian Haus a try..I used to live in Germany so I was very excited about trying the food. It was below par, It was a disappointment to me. I don't recommend this to anyone who knows what really food made in Germany taste like..if you just want to try German Food then its okay, but if you TRULY know what your tasting..you will bitterly DISAPPOINTED !!!
    I was excited to eat there. I told my husband he would have a real treat..thank goodness he has never eaten food made in Germany so he had nothing to gauge it against..We shared a platter of three..We got the Bratwurst, The Goulash and the Weiner Schnitzel with sauerkraut and hot potato salad with rye bread and butter. He had a Gerst draft and I had iced tea with lemon..
    The Wiener Schnitzel was DRY..horrible ..and bland! The Goulash was okay, I have had better but my husband enjoyed it. We both enjoyed the Bratswurst..but how can you truly mess that up??? The sauerkraut okay and he literally spit out the hot potato salad..it was too sweet and vinegary..the rye bread and butter was excellent!!! The Beer was good and cold and not bad tasting for a Amber brew..the tea was good!! We paid $28 plus taxes and tip..
    Got to krogers or the meat market buy your own and cook it yourself..just as good!!!

• Beer Tasting

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Acropolis: Acropolis

by lashr1999 Written May 13, 2005
    Acropolis

The restaurant served some great Greek food and the service was excellent. The food was so delicious we sampled and shared several dishes. The stuffed grape leaves, lamb chops, vegetables, gyro, bread and desert were tops. The only minor problem we encountered was that the hummus contained too much garlic. The restaurant had a great atmosphere which allowed us to talk.

Favorite Dish: I love the Gyro!

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Denny's: Good Chain Restaurant

by Basaic Written Aug 22, 2011

Denny's Diner

I like the retro-look of these Denny's Diners. This one was pretty nice. My waitress was nice, friendly and efficient.

Favorite Dish: I had the Tilapia Ranchero which was very tasty.

Instant Answers: Evansville

Comments

Evansville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Evansville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Evansville sightseeing.