Gary Restaurants

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Miller Bakery Cafe: An unlikely location

by Dabs Updated Nov 13, 2005

Most recent visit 11/12/05

People are probably surprised to find a fine dining restaurant in the Miller section of Gary but this little gem of a place is worth the trip to a city that many associate with high crime rates and industry. If you are making the trek from Chicagoland, be sure to print out good directions and follow them, some of the surrounding area is very rough.

The space is very inviting and broken into sections to minimize the noise. There's also a bar area with live music. It's not a huge restaurant, so reservations are a good idea on a weekend. And check out the Speed Racer decor in the main section of the dining room :-)

Favorite Dish: The menu starts off with small plates for $5, the only item we tried off here was the corncake which was good and had a very flavorful sauce. Next up are appetizers, averaging around $8, we tried the crabcakes (very good), a special sushi plate (didn't try it) and mussels in curry sauce with sweet potato fries (very good). Soup and salad is the next course, I tried a potato soup that had a nice flavor but a really small portion for $8, next time I will pass on the soup.

Entrees options are a variety of chicken, veal, beef, fish and pasta dishes, lots to choose from. I tried a 20 oz rib eye, much of which is still sitting in my refrigerator since I had eaten so much other stuff. Others at our table tried fish specials, bouillibasse (which looked very tasty) and a pork chop. Entrees range from around $15-$30.

Ending our gluttenous feast was the dessert menu, how on earth was I to pass up a chocolate molten cake with vanilla ice cream? We ended up spending about $90 per person with tax/tip but we ate and drank an awful lot.

Miller Bakery has a terrific selection of vodka martinis which changes from time to time, I had a smashing pumpkin martini that was divine but incredibly sweet and a caramel apple that tasted a little stronger and was less dessert like. Others tried pear vanilla, chocolate, pommegrante and several others including the Speed Racer, the prettiest of the martinis which comes with a red layer and a blue layer (Curacao).

• SouthSyda's Profile Photo

Harold's Chicken: Got THE BEST Chicken?

by SouthSyda Written Mar 12, 2004

If you're into barbecue chicken from the Chicago metropolitan area that simply tastes good and you got that soul in you, check this place out. akfjdlfhjeiheoh is all I can say, 'cause this piece is too hot for words!!!

Favorite Dish: Get a box full of barbecue chicken wings, with the sauce marinating down to the bone. They say that once you try it you're hooked, and now I believe them! They got a flavor I haven't seen in other places, and it's definitely worth checking out!

• SouthSyda's Profile Photo

White Castle: Either ya love it or ya hate it, but it's real!

by SouthSyda Written Feb 2, 2004

White Castle is definitely an urban type restaurant. You won't find these many other places!

Favorite Dish: Just get a bag of 20 or 30 cheeseburgers. They're small and cheap, so you can get just about exactly the amount you want.

Instant Answers: Gary

Comments

Gary Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gary restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gary sightseeing.