Gary Warnings and Dangers

Romantic ruins?
    by yooperprof
  • Four of the many businesses along Broadway in Gary
    Four of the many businesses along...
    by SouthSyda
    Helpful graffiti
    by sambarnett

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Gary

• Gary, Indiana

by Watcher9 Written Mar 28, 2014

Unfortunately, my wife works in the Glen Park District of Gary, Indiana. I do not let her drive to or from work alone. We ride together and I drop and pick her up from her job. However, this routine journey is not done without some safeguards in place. I have a license to carry a firearm from the Indiana State Police. Every time we travel, I am armed with my .45 caliber Glock and an extra high capacity magazine. The key to having to go into Gary, (if one must go there), is plan ahead. Think safety and security. Do not present yourself as someone lost. You will be easy prey. You get in there. You do what you have to. Then you leave the city. It's as simple as that. When traveling through Gary, (if I see a Gary policemen), they typically are doing nothing. The only police presence that you will see or feel in Gary will be from the Lake County Sheriff's Department. You can't miss them either because there is normally two or more squads handling any specific incident. Gary police are nowhere to be found. My vehicle doors are usually locked when I drive through Gary. That's about the best advice that I can give anyone who does not reside there. I hope it helps!

• Cityslicker73's Profile Photo

Crack Kills and so do Guns...

by Cityslicker73 Written Mar 6, 2014

Gary is Ruff at night, Smells like *** from Gary works and other plants on the lake..It's so close to Chicago I would say it's a big suburb. I wouldn't want to live there but it's not as bad as the Chicago's Southside Englewood Neighborhood.

• Enter at your own risk

by redinmyhead Written Sep 14, 2013

I lived about 3 miles outside of Gary and had my apartment broken into twice and was robbed at gunpoint once, I got the hell out of that state shortly after. I had to go to the DMV in Gary once and a police officer stopped me and asked what I was doing there - I was white. He offered to escort me to my destination, and then escort me out of town for my own safety. He also informed me that I should not stop at red lights or stop signs, just drive through them. It's a bad place. Don't stop at a gas station, kids will immediately start washing your windows without your permission and then demand money for it. Don't stop anywhere in Gary if you don't have to. It was probably the worst place I have ever been to in my life.. and yes, i've seen the south side of Chicago and Gary is worse. Stay out.

• NO WHITES ALLOWED

by Realfeedback Written Aug 10, 2013

I'm 30 years old, been to gary 15 times. 10 to miller. twice gangbangers have tried to rob me, but I'm always with big friends when I go out there and never scared. once at a gas station, and once at an electronics store. both times the gangbangers follow me wait for me to purchase and than go outside and see what I drive, than they try to rob me at my car. once this fat gangbanger had a gun. we told him he better kill us for what we had, he swung a few punches and landed on his fatass. I guess he shoulda stole bullets first LOL, we were the only white people in the store each time. DO NOT GO TO GARY if you do not have an automatic weapon, permit to carry, and SHOOT to kill. do not drive any car newer than an 2000 and don't buy anything over 5$. I suggest not stopping at all. also one of my old friends was going to work in gary and got shot in the face at a stop light. he lived. THE END!!!!!

• Don't judge a book by it's cover

by ian317 Updated Mar 2, 2011

Broadway & 15th Ave

sambarnett wrote:

"Should you find yourself here, the Gary street system is pretty easy. Most of the city follows a grid pattern. The main street is Broadway (Route 53) which runs north-south and is intersected by numbered avenues. The higher the number the farther south you are heading. The Gary-Merrillville border is 53rd Avenue.
    North-south streets west of Broadway are named after US Presidents, in the order they became president. North-south streets east of Broadway after US States and their admittance to the Union. Hope you paid attention in Social Studies. Note: A few neighborhoods don't follow this naming scheme."

Also, the numbered avenues are each one-tenth of a mile apart. For example from 15th avenue to 25th avenue is 1 mile.

I used to drive a taxi in Gary during the day and night. I never got robbed, no one ever jumped out of the cab w/o paying, and I never once felt threatened. In my opinion, the main thing you have to look out for (if you're white) is the police. If they see a white person (especially if you're with someone who's black) chances are you will get pulled over, searched, hassled, etc... If you treat people with respect, for the most part, they will leave you alone other than maybe asking for a dollar or some change. I once had a tire blow in the heart of Gary at 10:30 pm (note I'm white) and 4 gentlemen helped me put on my spare. One even gave me the tire iron he lent me because he said he had an extra one. Now I'm not saying Gary can't be a dangerous place, but if you're not there trying to buy drugs or pick up a hooker chances are you're going to be just as safe as you would be in a major city like Chicago, or New York. People talk about how dangerous and horrible of a city it is, yet the only time they spend there is driving through. Since the vast majority of Gary's residents are black while driving through they see several black people and I personally believe racism fuels the over exaggeration of the lack of Gary's safety. Yes crime occurs there, but like I said, if you're not there to commit a crime yourself, you really don't have much to worry about. On the other hand, there really isn't much happening in Gary (other than Railcats games) unless you like strip clubs and adult stores with booths (gross!) that sell everything perverted under the sun. That being said it isn't much of a destination for any kind of vacation or getaway. Finally, if you act like a victim, people are MUCH more likely to make you a victim which is true for any city that has a crime problem.

• Not a great destination, but misrepresented

by ian317 Written Mar 2, 2011

sambarnett wrote:

• Armpit of America

by wiggahata Written Jul 6, 2005

Dangerous Areas:

Most of it.

I was born in East Chicago (Nearby). Trust Me.

One day they will just bomb it, scrape away the putrid soil, and start over.

However, if you want a real good look at what Jesse Jackson and his ilk have done for America, you've come to the right place.

• Eco-Tourism

• You have no business here...

by grkboiler Written May 6, 2005

Gary is one of the most dangerous cities in America. Unless you have to be there for work or are going to dinner in Miller, DO NOT STOP! This is NOT a place for people who are unfamiliar with Northwest Indiana.

If passing through on the Indiana Toll Road, I-65, or I-80/94 and you need to stop for gas, food, or anything else, make sure you stop elsewhere.

Off the toll road, there is an oasis near Portage, IN.

Off 80/94, avoid the following exits: Broadway, Grant, Burr

Off I-65, avoid the following exit: 15th Ave, Ridge Road West.

• SouthSyda's Profile Photo

Gary's cool...

by SouthSyda Updated Mar 17, 2004

Four of the many businesses along Broadway in Gary

Despite some negative stereotypes about "Scary Gary", it can be a pretty cool place, too. I won't lie and say that there is no crime out here, but it's nothing we gotta be fatalistic about either, you know?

If you're visiting G.I. for the first time, try driving up Broadway from the south side of the city at Glen Park, through east Tolleston, through downtown, and cut back out down Interstate 90 on the north side. That'll give you a good introductory view of the city.

Gary's one of those fun places to chill, and overall, it gets way more negativity than it deserves. If you stand out on the corner of N. Grant Street and 11th Ave. at 1:00 AM, people will probably assume you're "selling something." But G.I.'s about the dopest spot in the Midwest, and I plan to be back!

• Anything can happen!!!

by 1Getout Written Jun 8, 2003

Many people carry guns. Be aware. Some people will attack for no reason. If you have no business there, stay away! If you like violence, go there. Don't expect good behavior. The vacant buildings tell a story. A horrible one indeed.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Scary Gary

by yooperprof Written May 3, 2003

Romantic ruins?

This is the First Methodist Church in Downtown Gary Indiana. This isn't one of the safe places in the USA. It didn't feel right to take many pictures of the destruction and desolation - people do live here, albeit with a minimum of hope and prospects. You probably don't want to spend a lot of time here too far away from the "safety" of your car. Please read Sam Barnett's page for a fuller description and explanation of this area.

Filling up

by sambarnett Updated Apr 14, 2003

The gasoline stations at the exits just off I-80/94 are safe enough to fill up at during the day, although you'll probably notice some hookers. If you need to fill up at night I'd recommend waiting until you reach Porter County, about 10 miles to the east.

Murder Capital USA

by sambarnett Updated Jan 6, 2003

This is a rough place. "Must See Activities" must be taken very lightly. If anything, I put these pictures here so you can see bits of the area without having to go through there.
       Parts of the city are safer than others, so check out my warnings.
    Pictured: A hang out for a local biker gang: The Sin City Disciples. Obviously spelling isn't a prerequisite.

• Maggies's Profile Photo

It's quite dangerous to go...

by Maggies Written Sep 12, 2002

It's quite dangerous to go there. Few years ago that was the city with the highest crime rate. So be carefull going there at night and I think you shouldn't go there alone. Ok, it's no point in going there at all.

I got there by coincidence. We just run out of gas and were looking for the gas station. It was about midnight then and driving all around this 'nice' town suddenly I saw a police car saying Gary on the side. Well, never seen a gas station like this before and I hope I won't see it anymore. It was scary. And all I was thinkning about was what my cousin told me the first time I came to Chicago. It was: 'don't you ever dare to go to Gary!' Write to me if you want the details...

Safe and secure areas

by sambarnett Updated Sep 7, 2002

Beach and steel mill

Should you find yourself in trouble while driving the Indiana Univeristy campus at 34th and Broadway is safe and secure.
       Steelheads games are secure with a high but not overbearing or intimidating police presence. I'm sure it will be like that at the new baseball stadium.
       Marquette Park and Miller (including the Miller Woods trail and Lake Street beach) are generally safe during the day. I'm sure you will notice a lot of broken bottles and graffiti though.
    Pictured: The beach at Marquette Park with US Steel in the background.

Instant Answers: Gary

Comments

Gary Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Gary warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gary sightseeing.