Related Indiana Favorites Tips

by deecat

Most Viewed Favorites in Indiana

President Benjamin Harrison's home

by seagoingJLW Updated Mar 2, 2003

Favorite thing: The house is located at 1230 N. Delaware Street in Indianapolis. For information phone:
    317-631-1888

Tours are conducted every half hour and are about an hour long.

the museum is open on Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 3:30 pm and on Sunday from 12:30 to 3:30.

Fondest memory: This home of the 23rd US President contains 3,700 artifacts and 2,440 books. Ten of the rooms have period furnishings and Harrison items. The third floor houses exhibits.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Visit the Children's Museum.

by seagoingJLW Updated Mar 2, 2003

Favorite thing: The Children's Museum is located at 3000 N. Meridian Street in Indianapolis. For information phone:
    317-334-3322

FAX 317-921-4019

Fondest memory: The Children's Museum is open daily from March 1st through Labor Day, 10 am to 5 pm.

It is closed on Monday between Labor Day and the first Monday in March.

• Archeology

Indiana Museum of Art

by seagoingJLW Updated Mar 2, 2003

Favorite thing: Visit the Indiana Museum of Art. It is located at 4000 Michigan Road, Indianapolis.

For information phone:
    317-920-2660

Fondest memory: Free guided tours of the permanent collection are offered Tuesday through Sunday at 1 pm.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo

Northern Indiana

by sambarnett Written Feb 24, 2003

Favorite thing: My homeland. So I'm aloud to say it's not the most exciting of places to visit. With two days I imagine you could get a decent sense of the land. Amish country around Nappanee, Shipshewana and Middlebury make for a very interesting and peaceful excursion. The Notre Dame campus is a pilgrimage for some. The more adventurous and sociologically inclined will find the desolate downtowns of Gary, South Bend, Richmond and Fort Wayne disturbing and fascinating. The Indiana Dunes are the ecological, scenic can't miss.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo

Southern Indiana

by sambarnett Written Feb 24, 2003

Favorite thing: Easily the more scenic section of the state. Limestone cliffs, winding roads, forests, quaint towns and the Ohio River valley create a landscape in stark contrast to the level farmland of northern Indiana. Defintely worth a couple of days if you have the time. Highlights include the architecturally innovative city of Columbus, the first capital Corydon, the Hoosier National Forest, Brown County State Park (packed in the fall), the covered bridges around Rockville, the well preserved riverboat town of Madison, the IU campus in Bloomington and historic Vincennes.

Lincoln State Park

by miner Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Lincoln State Park and the Lincoln Boyhood Memorial are located near each other in southern Indiana in Lincoln City,In. The State Park is a great place to camp, hike,swim,or just picnic.The memorial has a living farm and a replica of the kind of cabin the Lincoln family lived in.They cook and farm like farming was done in the early 1800's.The cabin is located near the site of the original Lincoln cabinThe Living Historical Farm is open every day from mid-April through September;in October it is only open on weekends; from November through mid -April the buildings are closed and not staffed. however you can still visit the farm and browse the area

Fondest memory: The foliage in the fall.I have not been able to capture how beatiful it is on film.My best memory would be camping at lincoln with my wife and kids.

• Camping

CROSSROADS OF AMERICA

by miner Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: On Dec.11,1816,Indiana became a state in the infant United States.It started out with 15 counties and by mid century there were 92 counties in Indiana.The first state capitol was at Corydon.This is where the first constitution that became the law of the state was adopted.It began the process of creating the local governments and from here Indiana began to develope into the 'crossroads of America'.

Fondest memory: it is hard to pinpoint one favorite memory of Indiana.From my boyhood days of romping through the woods all day to spending time with my grandkids on the holidays.
    I am not away from Indiana enough to miss anything.

• Eco-Tourism

• YOU MUST GO TO THE INDIANA...

by FIESTYJ Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: YOU MUST GO TO THE INDIANA DUNES NATIONAL LAKESHORE. THERE ARE PLENTY OF TRAILS THROUGHOUT. AND THERE IS ALSO A CAMPGROUND THERE. IN THE SUMMER THERE IS THE BEACH TO HANGOUT AT. AND THERE ARE A COUPLE OF WATER PARKS NEARBY ALSO. WINTER TIME THERE IS SKIING AVAILABLE AT THE PINES. IT IS TINY BUT IT IS SOMETHING TO DO. THERE ARE ALSO PLENTY OF PLACES TO GO SLEDING OR ICE SKATING.

Fondest memory: THE FALL IS MY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR HERE. THE DUNES LOOK BEAUTIFUL WITH ALL OF THE TREES FULL OF COLOR. IT'S UNFORGETABLE TO SEE.

• Scottyj36's Profile Photo

Go to the Circle Center Mall...

by Scottyj36 Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to the Circle Center Mall in downtown. Lots of good shops, and steps away for nightclubs, and good restrunts. Beaches of Northern Indiana on Lake Michigan are nice in summer.

Fondest memory: Lots of memories, it is home.

• John195123's Profile Photo

John195123's General Tip

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: I can't say much about Indiana, but one really cool trip I took with my dad and a couple of his coworkers to a farm owned by one of them We shot guns, bows, but mainly we rode 4-wheelers around. That was cool. The trails were all muddy and wet, and for much of the time, we rode up creeks. I was surprised at how well my own ATV handled the terrain. I'd like to think it was the driver. Before that, I hadn't had the chance to really test it out, but here I did. It worked great until a point where I was in a two-foot deep mudhole at the base of a ten-foot dip. My machine didn't ride where I wanted it to, and it sorta, kids, flipped on me. I was all wet and muddy, not to mention bloody... but oh, it was fun. We managed, somehow, to push and pull it out of this hole, a hole I had been through without incident earlier that day, and I pushed it part of the way back while the others rode back to get the bigger ATV to tow me. Ah, it was fun. We shot some trap after that. 18 inch barrel, light shot, 2 3/4 loads... beat the long barrels, of course. Fun!

• John195123's Profile Photo

John195123's General Tip

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Another fond memory of Indiana is at another friend's farm. We rode up with our ATV and motorbike, they brought theirs. Guns aplenty... I took out one of their ATVs which was bigger and had four wheel drive, on one of the many trails on their land. It was all fun and good until I began up a steep, steep hill. I made it within sight of the top, then figured I was about to flip, for some stupid reason. It was fall, and the slippery leaves covered the ground. I turned the ATV to the left, and managed to jump off. Fortunately, it decided not to follow me, and roll over itself, on top of me. It took some work, but I soon got it facing downhill and got back on, enjoying other shorter hills. Part of the problem with this one was that it was so long. But still, fun.

INDIANA HISTORY

by miner Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: Most of Indiana was inhabited by Indians of several different tribes. Along river banks where they had lived you can still find artifacts such as arrowheads. Evansville and Vincennes are rich in historical sites of this era .Indiana Indians played a large role in the early developement of the European expansion into the Northwest Territory.Theirs is a very colorful and exciting history,especially when they interact with the white man.

• Magnumite71's Profile Photo

Go to Indianapolis! Rapidly...

by Magnumite71 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to Indianapolis! Rapidly becoming one of the greatest cities in the nation. Take a walk on the canal, visit the Indianapolis Museum of Art, see Dillinger's grave at Crown Hill cemetery, take a downtown walking tour of the city's several memorials, and don't forget the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!

Fondest memory: I have countless fond memories of Indiana given that I have been lived here for about 30 years. When I'm away I miss Big Red soda.

• Visit the RCA Dome to see the...

by dlx737200 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the RCA Dome to see the Colts play or visit Monument Circle!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory was when I went up there in the winter time just after Christmas and when I walked out of the airport there was 3 inches of snow on the ground! I saw snow for the first time in my life being that I live in hot Florida.

• Cactus140's Profile Photo

See Indianapolis, it truly is...

by Cactus140 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: See Indianapolis, it truly is a beautiful city, and getting better by the minute. The construction can be a pain, but that is what is making my hometown better.

Fondest memory: The birth of my daughter, and grandson!!!

Indiana Hotels

136 Reviews - 234 Photos
Mishawaka Hotels
9 Reviews - 9 Photos

Instant Answers: Indiana

Comments

Indiana Favorites

Reviews and photos of Indiana favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Indiana sightseeing.
Map of Indiana