Hammond Favorites

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

STATE BANK OF HAMMOND - 1927

by LoriPori Updated Aug 1, 2006

State Bank of Hammond

Favorite thing: The best example of the Neo-classical style of architecture remaining in the city is the STATE BANK OF HAMMOND building. Located near the southwest corner of the intersection of Calumet Avenue and Sibley streets, (5444-5446 Calumet Avenue) the building, designed by architect Karl Vitzthum, was dedicated on September 10, 1927.
    The buildings' majestic columned entrance is what attracted me most. I also love the detail on the facade with the American eagle proudly displayed.
    The city of Hammond had plans to demolish it, which would have been a travesty, but it is now currently under renovatiion by a private individual.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Local wildlife

by Dabs Updated Feb 10, 2014

Raccoon

Favorite thing: Living next to a lake, we see a variety of local wildlife along the shores including swans, geese, egrets, herons and snakes sunning themselves on the 1st warm days of spring. I've seen a few really cool critters when out walking the bike path, one day I saw a red fox slip underneath the fence at Federated Metals, another evening we saw a whole family of beaver out on the lake slapping the water with their tails. I've seen turtles and muskrats. There are deer on the other side of the lake and coyotes, I've seen one twice on our side on the lake, most recently no more than 500 yards from our house howling at the moon.

Occasionally we also get critters who like to break into our garbage cans, oppossums who really do play dead and raccoons like the one in my photo.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo

Northern States Life Insurance Company building

by sambarnett Updated Feb 21, 2003

1926

Favorite thing: I don't usually care for Neoclassical architecture, but this building on Hohman Avenue, just south of downtown, has some interesting detail work. It is now home to a Montessori school and my boss does the pictures here. I see this building often.

Instant Answers: Hammond

Comments

Hammond Favorites

Reviews and photos of Hammond favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hammond sightseeing.