Indianapolis Favorites

Sun setting on Indy
    by amyj79indpls
  • Courtesy of Hist Am. Buildings Survey (HABS) USDOI
    Courtesy of Hist Am. Buildings Survey...
    by Toughluck
  • Favorites
    by Toughluck

Most Recent Favorites in Indianapolis

• DOWNTOWN

by RonaaRoo Written Sep 2, 2003

Favorite thing: If you are in the Indy area, you have to visit downtown! I was extremely impressed by Indianapolis' downtown! They have one of the nicest downtown malls I've ever seen, as well as many resturants and things on the street. I would even compare Indy's downtown to a smaller (well, much smaller) Chicago. Not as many on-the-street shops in Indy, but still, I was very impressed! Also, the Castleton Mall Northeast of Indianapolis is very nice!

• Indy rocks

by FoxWMulder Written Jul 28, 2003

Favorite thing: People who give Indianpolis a bad rap probably have not been there. I'd say it's one of the most underrated places I've been. The attitude about Indianapolis is not bad, but an "average" rating does not do this place justice. I think it doesn't get enough attention.

Fondest memory: Ever since I was real little I would go there to see my Grandmother, my Aunt and Uncle. I used to love catching fireflies at night. OK OK I still do. Indianapolis is the place to visit, and to live. Go there. You'll thank yourself

• Hoosiers are very, very friendly

by denver1982 Written Jun 5, 2003

Favorite thing: In April I arrived at Indianapolis Airport which is far away and didnt have car.

The Buses had stopped running at 11pm in Indianapolis to the airport and this very nice couple asked if something was wrong and I told them I was trying to get to a motel that was out the way, they called a cab and had the cab detour to my motel and didnt ask for a penny.
    In the pittiful state I live in until August(Ohio) I have seen people with major medical emergencies collapsed on the street being ignored for a half hour...Also, They had a big line at the mall at this resturant and because of the wait they gave everybody a double sandwich for the inconvience

Fondest memory: The people are just so friendly

• Hoosiers are very, very friendly

by denver1982 Written Jun 5, 2003

Fondest memory: The people are just so friendly

• The people are wonderful and they care

by denver1982 Updated May 8, 2003

Favorite thing: I have been through Indianapolis many times (going from Columbus, Oh to Denver, colorado) and the people are very, very friendly.and the people in Columbus or Pittsburgh cant even act is friendly as the hoosiers are)

Indidnapolis I would rate as the 2nd nicest and polite city I have been though, 1st place is Denver where people are excessively friendly

Indy as the locals call it has the largest childrens museum in the world, one of the cleanest downtowns I have seen with a 5 story mall city downtown (that is not vacant like the one in columbus, ohio its envious neighbor 200 miles to the east) there are people who will fill you up on samplers in the food court

Indy has the cleanest greyhound station in the country.....

I would definitly go visit Indianpolis, in fact I would mind living there (except for the north-east part)

• EvaWalls's Profile Photo

You Have to Love the Downtown.

by EvaWalls Written Mar 21, 2003

Indianapolis War Memorial

Favorite thing: I love Downtown Indianapolis. A girl can walk alone at night and not worry about making it through the parking lot. The city has really been making an effort to improve it over the last decade.
    Old factories are being turned into lofts and condos. The old Victorians are being restored and almost coveted. The new buildings are being styled to match the architecture. Even the sporting events have new looks.

Fondest memory: I love to walk from the Circle, and up to the War Monuments. The mall that runs along this corridor is a wonderful place to sit and eat lunch, watch the parade, or just attend one of the festivals.
    We used to leave the coffeehouse, full of caffiene, and walk to the War Memorial. We'd lounge at the fountains, or just climb to the top.
    During the day, you can go inside and see tribute to "Hoosiers" (There, I said it) who have lost their lives serving their country. Their names line all of the walls on the grandstairs. At the top. it opens to the creepiest monument that I've ever seen, the Shrine Room. Photos cannot do this justice.

• Museum Visits

• KaiM's Profile Photo

Home of the Politicians

by KaiM Updated Mar 10, 2003
    Indiana State Capitol

Favorite thing: The Indiana State Capitol is beautiful. It opened in 1878 and its dome rises 130 feet high. In 1988 the building underwent a major renovation. You can either take a self-guided tour or plan a group tour during times when the legislature is in session. Group tours are available by calling Senate Student Services at (317) 232-9410.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Preservation...revitalization...what's that?

by Cabana_Boy Updated Dec 19, 2002

Just a building torn down by City of Indianapolis

Favorite thing: I wish to register a complaint...and it's not about a dead parrot! And, since there are no good VT categories for complaints; I will register my complaint here, using that unique writing style that is sarcasm...

Here we go, Indianapolis used to have several wonderfully architected buildings throughout its downtown core. Buildings that were well constructed in the early years of the 20th century with such grace and nice, small touches that no builder could pull off today, even if a commercial investor would flip for it. Now, granted several of these buildings were sitting abandon, but as the city started to revitalize many of those buildings fell victim to the wrecking ball instead of a painter's paintbrush...

If this weren't bad enough, the city allowed mere flat lots (for parking cars) to replace almost all of these buildings. I swear Indianapolis must have the most parking spaces per capita than any other U.S. city...hell, I bet it ranks high on the list on the world stage too. Applying my economics degree to all this destruction for mere flat lots, I would say, the parking lot people should be buying the old historic buildings in order to prevent the city from tearing them down only to flood the flat lot parking industry, thus lower prices. But not so... And one of my friends living in Indy has even come up with a conspiracy theory here... The city has been "bagging" lots of parking meters downtown to prevent people from parking along the streets. Therefore, in order to park, people are forced into the flat lots. Thus, prices for spaces in flat lots remain stable. What a scam!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of all the destruction Indianapolis has done to its historic architecture for the sake of a few additional parking spaces was this building on Meridian Street.

Check out http://www.preserveindiana.com/pixpages/pb_indy.htm and support the local efforts to preserve our architecture and history.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Right place at the right time...

by Cabana_Boy Written Nov 6, 2002

Another keg of Indianapolis Brew Co. Amber at 3107

Favorite thing: Indy has a lot of bars and I have been to more than my fair share of them...and...well...I like to hang out and drink. But there's not a lot to do in Central Indiana other than hang out and drink...and since I grew here I guess that's why I like to hang out and drink.

Fondest memory: The four years I spent living in downtown Indy were great. It was directly after college and many of my favorite college friends were living downtown as well.

Also, Indianapolis seemed to be on the same level with us. It seemed that living downtown was something special back in those days. Downtown bars and restaurants weren't crowd and felt genuinely local. And some of the more popular bars today (2002) were virtually unknown or had recently opened to an underground audience. It was just a good time spent with great friends.

• Go downtown. Downtown Indy is...

by Granger44 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Go downtown. Downtown Indy is safe, fairly clean, and contains the best concentration of things to do including a mall, three sports venues, a few museums, and several restaurants and night spots.

Fondest memory: Game 2, Pacers vs. Knicks, 1997-1998 playoffs. Chants reverberating off the walls of the now defunct Market Square Arena. My throat being sore for a week because I was cheering loudly and wouldn't leave my seat to get a throat-soothing drink. And still thinking it was well worth it despite being seated in the top row of a corner.

• Drive down Meridian Ave. in...

by dzni Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Drive down Meridian Ave. in downtown Indy. There are some huge monuments built right on this road, including one at Circle Center... center of the city and very near the capitol building. Here there's a huge roundabout with shops all around the cobblestone center of the city. There's even a huge mall (Circle Center Mall) enveloping it. There are several dining options around here as well, and I at least reccommend driving down here to see this.

• Visit the Broadripple...

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Broadripple Neighborhood or anyplace around the canal. Here you'll find plenty to do, with plenty of bars and clubs to coffee shops, comedy clubs, restaurants and cafes. Anyway, it's the ecletic part of Indy and there seems to be plenty to do here on the north side of the city. It's off of Keystone Ave (US 31) if you cross over at Westfield... also by Broadripple Ave.

• BizzareLove's Profile Photo

visit museums. Indianapolis...

by BizzareLove Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: visit museums. Indianapolis has one of the world's largest children's museums, two art museums and an art center, and a nature & history museum. Crown Hill Cemetery is neat during the summer months; a lot of famous writers are buried there so they have story telling tours.

Fondest memory: hanging out at music shows for local and surrounding area bands the three best places are
    The Emerson
    The Purple Underground (its hard to find :) hee)
    and Fountain Square Theater (for that classic vintage experience)

• descolada99's Profile Photo

Go downtown!! I remember when...

by descolada99 Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Go downtown!! I remember when I was growing up that the Indy downtown was barren and empty. Nothing to do there at all. But now, all within walking distance, you can: See a AAA baseball game, see an NFL game, see an NBA game, go to Hard Rock Cafe, go to one of the biggest malls in the midwest, see some of the largest war memorials in the country, go to a selection of great restaurants and clubs, and just take a walk in a beautiful city. All without having to drive around.

Fondest memory: I grew up here, so there's alot of fond memories. Probably the best growing up, my family would always go to Pole Day qualifications for the Indy 500. If you're in town in May, you MUST go out to the track and check out the happenings.

• eshriner's Profile Photo

Downtown Indianapolis and the...

by eshriner Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Downtown Indianapolis and the Canel Walk simply cannot be missed.

Fondest memory: I used to live in a tiny little apartment in downtown Indianapolis. Every night, I used to fall asleep under the lights of th Scottish Right Cathedral.

Instant Answers: Indianapolis

Comments

Indianapolis Favorites

Reviews and photos of Indianapolis favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Indianapolis sightseeing.