Alcatraz Brewing Company, Indianapolis

49 West Maryland Street 317.488.1230

• djramey's Profile Photo

Alcatraz Brewing Company: It's Not Real Jail Food

by djramey Written Dec 18, 2003

Located in one of the highest people traffic area, the Alcatraz Brewing Company set itself up for success even before its doors opened to the public. Further, adding a unique theme in a city that has fewer than most, the restaurant needed not plead with citizens to eat between its steel bars and brewing tins.

Alcatraz Brewing Co. is located on the ground floor level of Circle Centre Mall, Indianapolis' premier shopping centre. It has a large open seating area on the main level and added a smaller but better upper level that is reached by climbing an open stairway and across a small metalic catwalk. Once upstairs, where I sat, you sit next to the brewing devices that are running constantly. There is also a closed with windows room for parties or meetings.

The restaurant is almost always full I was told, but the wait seldom over 20 minutes. Even when full, however, the noise level is decent and conversations easy with the people at your table.

The decor is original also. You are watched by photos of Al Capone, the famous mob leader from Chicago turned mop boy at the island prison, to photos of Peyton Manning, the hero quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts. The decorations are not too swanky nor are they overdone.

Favorite Dish: I ate the pomodoro with shrimp, and I must say that either I was not in the mood for what I ordered or it simply was not that appealing. I didn't finish the meal, but I also must mention that all the other members of the table did enjoy their meal, even the children.

I hear the nachos, hot wings, and tortallini are good to eat, so try those. I did not have any of the local beers, but those I've not heard anything good or bad about.

• Beer Tasting