Places to eat in Indianapolis

Caramel Apple Crepes

Most Viewed Restaurants in Indianapolis

Jonathan Byrd's Cafeteria: Good gathering place for comfort food

by gkitzmil Written Mar 22, 2009

This is a gathering place for large events. This is not "find dining" but for a gathering of 10-30 family members or some group this works well. We went with family where little kids needed to run around. This is a perfect venue at 5:00 PM for space without bothering other diners.

Has Bragging rights as the World's largest cafeteria.

The owner is into hotels in Arizona, racing, and radio in Indianapolis,

Favorite Dish: Fried chicken, nicely spiced and not too greasy. They have a "ginny dish" of one entree, two side orders, and bread for about $7.49 to $7.99 which is a real bargain for certain meats.

They offered meatloaf (an American tradition), chicken and noodles, fish, roast beef and more. This is the kind of food Grandma would make years ago if in the MidWest US you visited on Sunday.

GT South's: Truly Southern Style Bar-B-Que

by gkitzmil Written Mar 21, 2009

This place is good and has truly southern style slow roasted pork, turkey, and beef brisket. There are two locations (NORTH at 71st near Binford Parkway, Old 37; SOUTH near Beach Grove but just south of Beltway 465 on Emerson).

Low and slow and good sauce! That is the way I like my bar-b-cue pork.

Okay, a friend of mine actually does the best BBQ roasting I have had in Indianapolis and I have a small smoker so I will try my own soon.

But recently I visited GT South's location again on the North Side and I really enjoyed it.

Favorite Dish: The Pulled Pork is very similar to what I get in Tennessee and Georgia. We also like the Beef Brisket! Good sauce, too!

And very reasonably priced!!

Bourbon Street Distillery: quaint historic building in Canal District

by gkitzmil Written Mar 21, 2009

Great outside seating on two levels plus two quaint pub areas inside - the upper with a city view. I've enjoyed the sun on the upper balcony with a light dinner and pint of Guinness. They offer a few vegetarian dishes, a great Oyster Po Boy, and many sandwiches.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the Oyster Po Boy. It was so good I did not take a pic! I likely had slighty better Oyster Po Boy sandwiches in New Orleans but for Indy this is a great spot and not too expensive!!

• staindesign's Profile Photo

WB Pizza: They are Serious about some PIZZA!

by staindesign Written Jun 25, 2008

I love this little hole in the wall place. I can honestly say everything is good here! The staff is awesome, very helpful! I like this place because it is one of those places you could picture people going to after they won a baseball game pushing table together and eatting some great pizza! I do want to mention, it is a few dollars more than most pizza places. Yet it is completely worth it because they have such a variety of topping choices and they are so fresh!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the calzones. I always get the mushroom, spinach, with diced tomatoes and add ham. YUM! And the cheese is melted right on top!

• staindesign's Profile Photo

BARcelona: Small lids of food: tapas

by staindesign Written Apr 28, 2008

I really enjoyed this place. It is really a great place to go with friends of a lazy afternoon lunch or sit outside on a warm spring day. The interior is really nice and eclectic. With beautiful colors, a handsome mosaic over the bar and fanastic antique chandiliers. It is really a unique place that sits on the corner of Ohio and Deleware downtown Indianapolis. But a few bad things need to be worked out to make the place perfect. First being when you enter the restaurant, the hostess are friendly but too informal, they look like some random teenagers hang out next to the door. We were seated quickly and our server did immediately greet us. The serving staff seems quite uneducated about the food and wine, so we felt a bit on our own. We were told that about 2 tapas per person would be filling. The 3 of us felt that 4 was plenty. The inside of the restaurant is so loud, you have to yell to talk with the other people at your table. Hence the reason i mentioned it is best go for lunch or sit outside. to end this on a good note, the bathrooms were really clean.

Favorite Dish: I have enjoyed everything that I have had there; bacaloa (cod & potato cakes), marinated shrimp, & spinach empanadas. You might as well forget your diet because most of the items here are fried. The one thing i didn't like was the artichoke frita, it just tasted fried like an oily flavor. We enjoyed a bottle of Rivola Tempranillo. It was great, even though i had to open it for my waiter. hahaha!

There was one main dish offered, Paella for $16.95. I haven't had the chance to try it. The menu said it is served with chicken, chorizo, shrimp, & mussels. With a 15 minute alloted time limit for cooking.

Over all the prices are reasonable.

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Abuelos: A beautiful interior with very average food!

by staindesign Written Mar 24, 2008

This resturant has a very beautiful interior! The mural along that back wall is absoluted amazing; huge, bold, & emotional! In the center of the resturant the ceiling is painted as a daylite sky with special lighting illuminating it! There are also some beautiful sculptures, spanish tiling, and deep mohogony tables & chairs! Those are the great things about the place, and the salsa is pretty good. Now, the bad news.... The service is quite slow, the menu choices are average considering the up scale look of the building. The food quality was average to poor. We had one of their current specials of filet mignon, it was over cooked. I would say this resturant would be good if you like a nice atmosphere and lunch food like tacos. How can you really mess those up?

City Market: City Market

by Toughluck Written Oct 16, 2007

www.indianapoliscitymarket.com/

Favorite Dish: Recommended: Breakfast and lunch stands have everything from Irish (stuffed potatoes) to Italian, Middle Eastern/Greek, and American cuisine. Gourmet foodstuffs are for sale as well. Also, the adjoining plaza often has live entertainment in season. Farmers Market is held each Wednesday, May-September. City Market is a must-see.

Puccini's: Best Pizza in Indy

by staindesign Written Sep 23, 2007

This place is awesome. The best pizza in a really comfortable atmosphere. The pizza is quite gourmet, I love pizza so I am very serious about a good pizza. I make my own usually b/c it is hard to find a good pizza, but this place tastes better than mine and the ingredients are of high quality. I respect their pizza dough, they don't use bleached flour; you can feel good about what you are eatting. They are always rated as the top pizza in Indy, and they are really growing with 11 locations now. 6 here in Indy, 2 in Lafette(purdue-area), 2 in Bloomington(IU), and now 1 in Louisville, KY.

The service is relaxed, they aren't in a big hurry. So go to relax at night, but lunch is great and fast if you need it to be! They have amazing pizza, salad, soda special.

Lunch - under $10
    Dinner - $11 - $20

Favorite Dish: The two pizzas that I love are: King of Hearts - w/ articokes & Margarita- fresh sliced roma tomatos, basil, fontina cheese (w/ canadian bacon added-extra)

The best salad is the BBQ chicken salad- It is amazing!

Shapiro's: Authentic Deli

by Toughluck Updated Aug 31, 2007

You want really 'Deli' food? You don't have to go to New York. Shapiro's on the southside of downtown is the best Deli, and it's authentic. It's a breakfast and lunch place. Get in line and know what you want. I often stand out of line going over the menu. Full diner meals, sandwiches, kosher, all the right touches. But they move lots of people through during the lunch hours, so they don't give you much time to decide once in line.

The prices are high, but you get your full value. Examples:

Roast Turkey Sandwich: $7.30
    Pastrami Sandwich: $9.60
    Devilled Eggs: $2.50
    Potato Sallad: $2.05

Favorite Dish: I still go for the Pastrami. There's nothing like the spiced taste of this preserved meat. wow.

• Religious Travel

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Eddie Merlot's: A Place Called Merlot's with a Good Wine List!?!

by BigBlueOne Written Aug 14, 2007

We ate at the bar but the ambience, food, and service were still impeccable. This is one of a few places in Indy to go drop some pretty good coin on a steak, wine, etc.

Being that this place is in the midwest, and its a steakhouse, the sides are all huge! Consider yourself warned.

Favorite Dish: The steaks were all awesome, but the sauces (bernaise, etc.) were what made the meal.

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Fountain Diner & Fountain Room: Relive the heady days of city life (the 50's).

by Toughluck Updated Mar 17, 2007

This is a restored dinner from the old Woolworth. In the 1950's, heading down to diner in town was the to go to the center of life. Yes, Happy Day's with 'Arnold's Drive-in' exist, but in the east, and in the cities, that was replaced by the diner at the 'five and dime' (5 & 10 cent) store.

The Fountain Diner has refound itself and has become a revitalized part of the restoration of the Fountain Square neighborhood.

Favorite Dish: The stand-out items? Humm, I'd have to think. You don't come here for 'cuisine'. You come here for the burgers n fries and the milkshakes. That might be it the Milk shakes. Of coures, what you're really looking for is the people. The teen's coming and going to the bowling alley upstairs. The families with small kids sitting back where the kids can play and not bother anyone. The people on the street through the big picture windows.

H2O Sushi: World Class Sushi in Broadripple

by staindesign Written Jan 31, 2007

To begin with this place has a great rep. around town for the quality of food they produce. And the clientel are dressed from fancy to casuel, I saw a few families there with their young children to people there on dates. The interior design of the restaurant doesn't please me much. It is so modern that it looks cold. The colors are dark, the tables are metal. The place is small, but there really isn't many tables or lights in the restaurant. There is lots of space between the tables, so sitting at the tables makes me feel like i'm eatting my food by myself in the dark. I prefer to sit at the sushi bar because there is more light and the colors of the food behind the glass makes it feel more inviting. The staff is very knowledgable and very concerned with your meal experience. This is a great place to go with a group of friends or family, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first date if you have to sit at a table.

Favorite Dish: First I would like to start off saying that this place has the best sushi I have ever had. My friend Edy is the head sushi chef here and he is fantastic. If you have the chance sit at the sushi bar and talk with him and he will fix you right up! I tried the tuna tartar ($11) it was fantastic. Since we had never had much sushi he fixed us up with unagi (eel), shrimp, yellowtail, and salmon Nigiri. Then we split the Pork Ribs: slowly braised with brussel sprout slaw, sweet potato chips, and the ribs were in the best BBQ sauce. (spicy & sweet). And they have an extensive wine and saki list. For two people we spent about $80 which included the tip.

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Southbend Chocolate Factory: The best Chocolate on the Circle!

by staindesign Written Nov 8, 2006

This place is fantastic! One side of the store is a deli and the other side is a coffee shop with a candy store. They have out door seating in the summer and the fall. It is right on the circle so you can do some great people watching. The chocolates are pretty expensive, but they are delicious. Plus the store looks very cute in the front because of all of the different ways they have for boxing the chocolates in decorative boxes.

Favorite Dish: I love the hot chocolate, it is very chocolately and it is topped with whipped cream, cho. syrup, cho. shavings, and a cherry. In my opinion, a small will do you, because of the chocolate intensity. Small $1.93 w? tax. I love the chocolates there too. I always get the Cho. Haystacks, which are cho. with coconut. 2 pieces = $1.30 w/ tax. They have everything from turtles, to toffee, to chocolate covered cherries and chocolate covered blue berries!

• staindesign's Profile Photo

3 Sisters Café: Healthy and Delicious!

by staindesign Written Sep 27, 2006

I love this restaurant, and the great part is that even though the food is good and healthy it is fairly cheap! The restaurant is in a house in broadripple ( a cultural district in Indy). Everytime that I have eaten here i have sat on the porch of the house. They serve breakfast and lunch. And the staff is really nice, my friend Malorie works there, so you should ask for her to be your server. It isn't on the main strip of broadripple, but it is still active around there, so you can still do some great people watching.

Favorite Dish: I had the grilled cheese sandwich. I loved it. You get to choose any combination of 4 or all 4. I had swiss and mozz. and for 75¢ each you can have other toppings, I had wild mushrooms and tomatos. With the meal you get a choice of 5 sides; apple sauce, rice, soup, potato salad, or chili. I had the soup and it was homemade chicken noodle, it was good, but it needed salt. My boyfriend had the grill pork tenderloin, it was also fantastic. The spices they use to flavor the meat is great! I especially like the organic coffee that they serve!

• djramey's Profile Photo

Bazbeaux Pizza: Great Pizza and Sandwich's

by djramey Updated Aug 27, 2006

Bazbeaux Pizza is located on Indy's hip Massachusettes Avenue, and serves all types. This location is one of three in the Indianapolis area (the other two are located in Broad Ripple and Carmel). The original location was founded in 1986 in the Broad Ripple district and downtown finally got their shot just three years later.

In 1989 Bazbeaux ventured downtown to help establish the district now known as the Indianapolis downtown arts district. Massachusetts Avenue is now home to many unique and interesting retail shops, restaurants and music venues. The downtown location serves a quick lunch by the slice weekdays to many appreciative downtown workers and residents. They can choose to dine in our lovely sidewalk café, wine cellar or beautifully renovated dining rooms.

In 2006, Bazbeaux was awarded its 20th consecutive Best Pizza in Indianapolis by Indianapolis Monthly Magazine, and has won the same or similar award from Nuvo News and Indianapolis Woman.

Personally, I enjoy the sandwich's specifically the mufalletta. They are served fresh and are quite filling.

Favorite Dish: The Muffaletta is a hot or cold sandwich served on a french roll. Ham, genoa salami, pepperoni, provalone, brown mustard and olives make the meal. Though this is my favorite meal, the pizza here is also top notch. There is no doubt that Bazbeaux Pizza is the best pizza in the city and they offer styles that other joints do not. Try it, and keep trying it.

Indianapolis Hotels

Latest Indianapolis Hotel Reviews

Holiday Inn Select Indianapolis North (At The Pyramids)
Latest: Apr 8, 2014
Indianapolis - Days Inn Downtown
Latest: Apr 6, 2014
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Conrad Indianapolis Hotel
Latest: Feb 14, 2014
Country Inn & Suites Indianapolis NE at I-69
Latest: Nov 3, 2007

Instant Answers: Indianapolis

Comments

Indianapolis Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Indianapolis locals.
Map of Indianapolis