Places to eat in Indianapolis

Beautiful Space
    Caramel Apple Crepes

Most Viewed Restaurants in Indianapolis

• deecat's Profile Photo

The Old Spaghetti Factory: Don't Try this Restaurant Unless You Have Kids...

by deecat Written Apr 11, 2005

Jill and I had driven from Chicago to Indianapolis, checked in to our Bed and Breakfast, toured all day. We were tired and very hungry. The Old Spaghetti Factory looked like the perfect spot. It is conveniently located; the building is historic and beautiful; the inside is filled with fine antiques: So, we assumed we would love it.
    We were wrong.

We first had to wait in line; then we were seated in a very nice booth; however, it was very loud and difficult to carry on a conversation (filled with children and some pretty angry people..I know not why). The waitress was quite nice and aimed to please. The menu is extensive with platters, Classics, Chef Specials, Factory Favorites, and Desserts.

Perhaps we just did a poor job in selecting, but our meal was not good.

Favorite Dish: We both ordered Chicken Caesar Salad. The problem was that the chicken was not completely cooked, and it was cut in such thick pieces. The rest of the salad with Romaine lettuce, classic Caesar dressing, shredded Romano cheese, garlic herb croutons, and Roma tomatoes was just average. It came with soup which was also average.

What was really good was the Italian Cream Sodas that we ordered. We both ordered Raspberry, and we were given our own colorful keepsake glasses.

Since we were still hungry, we ordered Mud Pie for dessert. It was pretty good with a rich chocolate cookie crust filled with Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream and topped with almonds & chocolate syrup.

It was not a good way to start our adventure.

Inside of The Old Spaghetti Factory & Jill eating

Nordstrom's Grill: Perfect Place for Lunch Downtown Indianapolis

by deecat Written Apr 12, 2005

Jill and I enjoyed eating at Nordstrom's Grill so much that we ate there twice!

It's a great spot for lunch because it is so convenient when you are in the inner city shopping or touring.
    And, it doesn't hurt that you have to walk through the wonderful Nordstrom's Department Store. There is also a street entry, but who needs it when you can see the store?

The decor is beautiful and relaxing with all the dark wood and gorgeous large bar. The bathroom is very clean and nice also.

Jill and I are neither big eaters, so we shared. We ordered a turkey and cheese grilled sandwich and a delicious 4-cheese pasta (that is to die for). They also have wonderful lemonade.

The first time we were there was better than the second, and we decided that it was because of the great waitress we had the first time. Her presentation of the food was just perfect. She gave us individual dishes for our "split" meal.
    The young waiter the second time just put down one plate for the sandwich and one plate for the pasta. we had to ask for more plates and a knife to cut the sandwich.

So, if you are ever in Indie downtown, stop in at Nordstrom's Grill. You won't regret it.

Jill at Nordstrom

• deecat's Profile Photo

Broad Ripple Steak House: A Chicago Style Walk-Up Establishment in Indie!

by deecat Written Apr 12, 2005

Even though it took us forever to find the Broad Ripple Steak House (even though it was close to our Bed And Breakfast), we loved it.

This Chicago style walk-up establishment was worth any trouble what-so-ever. It's located in the heart of Broad Ripple Village, and the outside is deceiving because the inside was quite elegant. It has dark-wood furniture, white tablecloths and napkins and is known for its "melt-in-your-mouth" filets. I had one, and I certainly agree with their advertising.

There are two martini bars, and people say that the chocolate martini "rivals dessert anywhere". I discovered that there are three separate venues: the subdued steakhouse where Jill and I ate; an energetic bar, which we saw; and unknown to us, a secluded, after hours hang-out they call "Upper Room".

Favorite Dish: Jill and I really enjoyed our meal; me, especially, since Jill was paying. She offered this kindness to repay me for all the research and planning that I did for our trip.

The menu has an array of appetizers such as Jumbo shrimp cocktail, Crab Cakes with Brandy-Pepper Sauce; Maine Lobster Bisque Bowl; chilled Smoked Duck Breast with Onion-Cherry Marmalade. The Sides include: Baked, horseradish mash, baked Sweet, Sweet Potato Puree, or Asiago potato stack; creamed spinach; sauteed mushrooms, fresh asparagus with hollandaise.

Jill had Garlic Parmesan Shrimp With Crab Cake Tower and Horseradish Potatoes which she raved about.

I had the Petite Filet (I'd hate to see how big the regular Filet is!) which was ever so tender and fabulous.

We both had salads that were wonderful.

I thought that I was in Chicago!

Broad Ripple Steak House

• deecat's Profile Photo

Boone Docks on the River--A Bed & Breakfast: A Breakfast "Haven" in Indianapolis...

by deecat Updated Apr 9, 2005

Each morning for five days, Jill and I enjoyed fantastic breakfast "dishes" that were fixed by owner and chef, Lynn Boone. Her Bed and Breakfast called Boone Docks on the River is located on the White River in Indianapolis, Indiana.

As one can see from the photograph, the breakfast is served in the Sunroom where there is a view of the White River, the beautiful backyard with its dock, "garden" house, trees, (one is a 500-year-old oak), and wildlife. In the late spring and summer, breakfast can be eaten on the screened porch.

In the lovely sunroom, we ate at a round table with a white and blue table covering, beautiful blue and white dishes, fresh flowers, and cloth napkins. The presentation of the food added to the enchanting ambience.

Favorite Dish: Each day, we anticipated a new breakfast meal such as crisp bacon, fresh strawberries, oranges, bananas, or grapefruit, a freshly baked pastry, orange juice, and hot tea or coffee.

The meal was never hurried, and the chef herself, Lynn Boone, would join us in conversation and laughter. The cuddly "Mr. Bear" (a gigantic Lab and Beagle dog) would sit beside Lynn and entertain us with his antics.

There was always beautiful music playing softly in the background, which only added to the already delightful atmosphere.

What a way to start each morning!

Dee, Jill, & Mr. Bear at Boone Docks on the River
    • Architecture

Sahm's Restaurant in Fishers, Indiana: A Local Favorite

by deecat Updated Apr 19, 2005

We were told by the people at our Bed and Breakfast to go to dinner at a place called Sahm's. We did go to eat there, and were so glad that we had listened to the locals. It was only about 5:30 in the afternoon when we went to eat. We had spent the entire day at Connor Prairie and were starving.

As you can see from the photograph, Sahm's is an attractive stone and brick building. The inside has a "cozy" feel to it even though it is large.

The service was excellent; our waitress was efficient and friendly. She was also quite helpful in our selections.

Usually Jill and I share, but this night we were really hungry. The menu was quite extensive so it was a difficult choice, but we finally made it...s*

Favorite Dish: We ordered identical items. We ordered Greek Salads (which were large and delicious) and Cheese Quesidillas. They serve with each meal a slice of "cake" with cinnamon and nuts that is so excellent that I ordered a whole cake to take home to my husband!

It's obvious that Sahms is popular because the food and service are both excellent.

Sahm's Restaurant

Ganache Chocolatier: Candy, Coffee, Tea, Italian Soda....YUM

by deecat Written Apr 15, 2005

While visiting Zionsville, Indiana, one rain-filled Thurday in April, 2005, Jill and I discovered a fantastic place to purchase our favorites...
    First, we perused the place, checking out all the wonderful chocolates. Next, we ordered one of our all-time favorites.....Italian Cream Sodas. I ordered a Vanilla, and Jill ordered a Raspberry. Wow! real cream. We savored that as we sat down and chatted about our magnificent week in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Then we looked at the fun greeting cards, and Jill purchased one for my daughter Jill's baby shower. The woman who waited on us was just delightful, and we left Ganache Chocolatier as very happy people!

Favorite Dish: As for what chocolates we purchased, let's see if I can remember. I bought Dark Chocolate with nuts call "Chocolate Bark for my husband Allan. They also had wonderful caramels so I purchased different kinds: vanilla with and without nuts; hazelnut; and chocolate. Absolutely excellent.

Jill ordered several kinds of chocolates and tried a Peppermint "Bark" which she let me try. It was refreshing.

If you ever find yourself in Zionsville, Indiana, stop in at the Ganache Chocolatier; you'll be glad that you did!

Ganache Chocolatier in Zionsville, IN

Fountain Square Diner: Cheap & Good

by staindesign Written Aug 15, 2006

This building was reopened around 1995. There are several things happening in this building besides the diner. The actually diner items came out of the murphy building across the street, and this building was murphys' rival woolworths. I think the diner is a great deal, good food and friendly service. Every meal on the menu is under $5. If you go there you should sit at the breakfast bar and let the cook Dave wait on you, that is if they aren't busy. He always waits on me and he is the best!

Favorite Dish: Usually I eat tuesdays special, grill cheese with chips $2.50! And for a $1 more you can add tomato & bacon to your sandwich.

Dave the cook!

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Roof top Garden: Dinner with a View!

by staindesign Written Aug 15, 2006

This is located on top of the Fountain Square Theatre Building. The roof top garden cafe is on the top of this building and the shelby Street Cafe is on the street level of the building, both are the same food. I would describe it as American Euro bistro style. They have an amazing crab cake sandwich, definitely check it out! But the reason why i think the Roof top is the best, is because at night the view is great! And it is big, so once you get there you don't have to worry whether or not you will get a table. I am sure the wait isn't very long at all. Plus if you go on a friday night, you can go into the theatre for a swing dance lesson at 7.30pm and then dance the night away to a live Swing Band. The cost is $12 with the lesson and $10 for just dancing. And on the 4th floor they created hotel suites. They are each decorated differently and can be rented by contacting them ahead of time like any hotel. Being from out of town, it could be convient to stay there after swing dancing.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes when the season, and obviously the Roof Top isn't open during the Winter!

• Music

• sambarnett's Profile Photo

Fountain Diner: Diner grub

by sambarnett Written Mar 31, 2003

Once an authentic Woolworth's diner, the Fountain Diner dishes up a 1950s vibe largely free of the kind of shlock you'd get at other "authentic" diners. When my friend meekly announced his food selection the waiter, an old salt, barked, "Well, speak up!"

Favorite Dish: Burgers, fries and shakes.

it was a long, hard night

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Abuelos: A beautiful interior with very average food!

by staindesign Written Mar 24, 2008

This resturant has a very beautiful interior! The mural along that back wall is absoluted amazing; huge, bold, & emotional! In the center of the resturant the ceiling is painted as a daylite sky with special lighting illuminating it! There are also some beautiful sculptures, spanish tiling, and deep mohogony tables & chairs! Those are the great things about the place, and the salsa is pretty good. Now, the bad news.... The service is quite slow, the menu choices are average considering the up scale look of the building. The food quality was average to poor. We had one of their current specials of filet mignon, it was over cooked. I would say this resturant would be good if you like a nice atmosphere and lunch food like tacos. How can you really mess those up?

• staindesign's Profile Photo

The Greek Islands Restaurant: Opa!

by staindesign Updated Sep 2, 2013

A quaint little Greek place on the south edge of downtown. Family owned since 1987. This little slice of Greek heaven was found thanks to devour downtown. It was fortunate I misread the promotional menu and decided to come to this diamond in the ruff. We decided on a sampler platter that feed us both for $19. The flamed Saganaki was tasty even with the low ceilings. The belly dancer was amazing, she twirled and clanged her finger symbols like an artist.

*Devour downtown is a biannual event that encourages locals to come downtown to eat at all the fancy restaurants. It's a $30 3 course meal. If you are in town during these events, its a great ways to eat in some swanky places for not much green! Www.devourdowntown.org

**the mistake was that I thought the sampler was the meal, but it was only lunch and a pork chop was the dinner deal.

Favorite Dish: The sampler platter is the way to go at $19, that's just $8.50 per person for dinner. The server said that she wasn't sure if it would be enough for us (2 adults), it was plenty. We had left overs after we gorged ourselves.

Sample platter Edel belly dancing with the professional

• staindesign's Profile Photo

BARcelona: Small lids of food: tapas

by staindesign Written Apr 28, 2008

I really enjoyed this place. It is really a great place to go with friends of a lazy afternoon lunch or sit outside on a warm spring day. The interior is really nice and eclectic. With beautiful colors, a handsome mosaic over the bar and fanastic antique chandiliers. It is really a unique place that sits on the corner of Ohio and Deleware downtown Indianapolis. But a few bad things need to be worked out to make the place perfect. First being when you enter the restaurant, the hostess are friendly but too informal, they look like some random teenagers hang out next to the door. We were seated quickly and our server did immediately greet us. The serving staff seems quite uneducated about the food and wine, so we felt a bit on our own. We were told that about 2 tapas per person would be filling. The 3 of us felt that 4 was plenty. The inside of the restaurant is so loud, you have to yell to talk with the other people at your table. Hence the reason i mentioned it is best go for lunch or sit outside. to end this on a good note, the bathrooms were really clean.

Favorite Dish: I have enjoyed everything that I have had there; bacaloa (cod & potato cakes), marinated shrimp, & spinach empanadas. You might as well forget your diet because most of the items here are fried. The one thing i didn't like was the artichoke frita, it just tasted fried like an oily flavor. We enjoyed a bottle of Rivola Tempranillo. It was great, even though i had to open it for my waiter. hahaha!

There was one main dish offered, Paella for $16.95. I haven't had the chance to try it. The menu said it is served with chicken, chorizo, shrimp, & mussels. With a 15 minute alloted time limit for cooking.

Over all the prices are reasonable.

Yats: Cajun in Indy

by staindesign Updated Sep 2, 2013

Yat's provides real food at economical prices. The Cajun creole menu changes on the regular, but it is typical to have 7 options with at least 2 of them vegetarian. It's a laid back place that shouts out your name when your meal is ready and extra bread is only 50 cents. You'll probably love it like I do and want more.

This is a big hot spot for locals around the city. You can pick up a Nuvo here, our local social paper.

Favorite Dish: I always get the Spinach & Mushroom Etouffee. It is a thick sauce served over white rice and accompanied with a chunk of fresh bread with chili oil butter on top.

Old yats on Mass ave before block was rebuild

• staindesign's Profile Photo

3 dog bakery: Doggys like cookies too!

by staindesign Written Aug 24, 2006

So if you are a dog lover like me, you have to check this place out. It is on Mass Ave. and it is right next to Silver in the City. There isn't much on the outside, but inside it is so cool. It actually smells good enough to eat for yourself (humans). They also have everything for your pet; clothes, beds, food, and special bakery goodies! The case with the items looks so cute. The cookies and cakes are in the shape of dog bones and they have puppy chocolate covered things, things with what seems to be frosting. And it is approved by my dog Chaco. He loves the goodies!

Extra Bonus: Your pet is allowed in the store!

Favorite Dish: Chaco's favorite thing is the puppy truffles! The truffles are $1 each!

puppy truffle me giving chaco the goodie Chaco inhaling the truffle
    • Travel with Pets

• staindesign's Profile Photo

WB Pizza: They are Serious about some PIZZA!

by staindesign Written Jun 25, 2008

I love this little hole in the wall place. I can honestly say everything is good here! The staff is awesome, very helpful! I like this place because it is one of those places you could picture people going to after they won a baseball game pushing table together and eatting some great pizza! I do want to mention, it is a few dollars more than most pizza places. Yet it is completely worth it because they have such a variety of topping choices and they are so fresh!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the calzones. I always get the mushroom, spinach, with diced tomatoes and add ham. YUM! And the cheese is melted right on top!

Indianapolis Hotels

Latest: Jun 25, 2014
Renaissance Tower Historic Inn
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Indianapolis

Comments

Indianapolis Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Indianapolis locals.
Map of Indianapolis