P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Indianapolis

49 West Maryland Street (317) 974-5747

• P.F. Chang's China Bistro
    by FreeCloud
    Seriously. Can't miss it.
    by sticki
  • FreeCloud's Profile Photo

P.F. Chang China Bistro: P.F. Chang China Bistro

by FreeCloud Written Sep 2, 2002

The dining hall is rather large with the bar at the center (also the source of cigarrett smokes).

A huge mural of a Tang Dynasty life style high above on the wall, where at the bar, a terra cotta horse style yet modern sculpture was displayed; together with some comtemprary style deco.

Apparently it is a rather popular place.

I was not intentionally dine at this particular restaurant, but stumped into it on my way to another one.

I know P.F. Chang has several restaurants nationwide, since I had never been to the rather popular one in Raleigh, NC, where I live, I decided to give it a try.

I asked the waitress if the menu for the chain restaurants are all the same, she said some items are while each restaurant also would have some regional dishes added.

The waiting staff were rather friendly and helpful. My waitress Meredith did bother spending effort asking the chef where the sea bass was coming from. Two other staff helped with more accurate info on sightseeing.

Favorite Dish: I ordered two dishes:
    1. Oolong Sea Bass
    I like tea flavored food, and sea bass is one of my favorite fish. The dish was prepared fine, not necessarily a Chinese way, but the tea flavor is mild (almost not noticable), the sea bass was seared to crisp properly so the moist was kept. Generally speaking not bad.

2. Ma Po Tofu
    Ma Po tofu is a famous and typical Sichuan dish: basically fresh tofu sauteed with minced pork and hot chilly peppers with lot of peppercorn (make your tongue numb!) and other spices. The legend said the recipe was invented by an old lady suffered from small pox, therefore some spots left on her face, in Chinese, that's called 'ma', po=old lady.

Many times the dish is used to test a chef's skill. Therefore I ordered it despite I am not crazy about hot and spicy food. However, to my biggest surprise, what was served was totally a different thing: ten or so fried tofu cubes with steamed broccholi as base and pured with soyal source on top. It is embarrasing that a dish like this bears such a famous dish name. The taste was mediocre unfortunately.

• sticki's Profile Photo

PF Changs: PF Changs

by sticki Updated Dec 19, 2002
    Seriously.  Can't miss it.

Chinese Bistro.

Favorite Dish: I feel guilty that I haven't explored the rest of the menu, but the Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps are just too good to pass up.

Instant Answers: Indianapolis