Indianapolis Warnings and Dangers

• Indianapolis time will get you steaming mad
    Indianapolis time will get you steaming...
    by pourparafor
  • congressional medal of honor monument on left
    congressional medal of honor monument on...
    by hummer2407
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by ronald13

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Indianapolis

• SPEED TRAPS!!!!!

by FoxWMulder Written Jul 28, 2003

If you are going up College Avenue, be careful of the speed traps. If you are going over the speed limit at all, you are in danger of paying for it. The cruisers hide on the residential sidestreets where you can't see them until they see you. It's worse from downtown to Kessler Blvd, though some hang out North of Kessler. SLOW DOWN!

• tomnewby's Profile Photo

Rotten Public Transportation

by tomnewby Updated Jan 11, 2007

If, like me, you prefer to do your traveling without being burdened by driving a car in an unfamiliar city, choose a different destination. Indianapolis has for some decades now had probably the worst bus system of any city its size in the country. This is not my opinion--the statistics bear it out. Many buses run only once per hour, some less than that, and service is almost non-existent after dark. Routes are byzantine and transfers impossible. The bus system recently had a financial crisis because nobody was using this impossible-to-use system, and the city responded by eliminating more routes. This is a hardship for tourists as well as locals. Because there are few alternatives, taxis are very expensive. It is difficult to get into town from the airport by bus most of the day, and impossible after sundown.

• Disabilities
    • Eco-Tourism

• Indy's safety

by Indygirl Written Jul 16, 2012

We were just looking for someplace to travel to and I looked up another city and the review kind of scared me so I decided to look up Indianapolis to see what it said. I agree with the gentleman who said our public transportation needs some help. I have heard this from several people who have visited here or moved here from other states or countries. Not ever needing to use the public transportation I guess I never really thought about it.

As far as the issue with the police giving tickets. I have lived here for 49 years and only have had 2 tickets my entire life (I was in my 20's). Yes they have undercover cars but all cities and states do. And as far as getting tickets - IF you drive the speed limit and obey the laws - you WON'T get a ticket. The police in the small towns (I live in Speedway close to the 500) are NOT profiling or targeting people for tickets. I am VERY PROUD of our police department here in Speedway, Indianapolis and the state of Indiana. They work VERY HARD to keep us safe and do an EXCELLENT job.

As far as the safety of Indianapolis - there are very few places that I wouldn't go at night. EVERY city has area's that you need to be aware of but from what I have seen from other cities, Indianapolis in comparison has very few. Downtown is safe. Now let's all be smart and not leave valuables in your car visible to those who might take them. Obviously you should never be alone no matter what city or town you are in at night! Obviously when traveling through a new town you should keep your car doors locked. The north side of Indianapolis is the best side of town and the most exspensive. The far west side is nice, as is the south side. The east side has had some trouble areas but there are also areas over there that are clean and safe with beautiful homes and neighborhoods.

PLEASE come and visit our city. We are very proud and the people here are very friendly and helpful. Use common sense as you would in your own city and you will have the time of your life. Indianapolis has a lot to offer and is growing all the time.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• hummer2407's Profile Photo

false information

by hummer2407 Written Oct 10, 2003

I live in Indy and thought I would do a search to see what I would find. I was amazed at the misinformation put forth on this page. A couple of individuals posting must have a problem with the law. As an officer I can assure you that the city is one of the cleanest and safest cities in the country. Yes there is crime, but if you dont go looking for trouble, trouble wont find you. The downtown area and the area around the speedway and raceway park are very safe. I have lived in many cities and been to many more and chose Indy because it was safe. Be smart, dont put valuables in view and dont act stupid and you wont have any problems.

congressional medal of honor monument on left
    • Zoo
    • Aquarium

Indy 500

by sticki Written Dec 18, 2002

Avoid Indianapolis around the end of May because of the Indy 500. The city turns into an absolute madhouse, though I'll keep my opinions about race fans to myself. If you're actually planning on coming for the race, paln waaay in advance. You'll need to book a hotel many months in advance to get a room at all, and will probably still be overcharged. Leave for the track at least 4 hours before you want to be there, and plan on at least 5 hour to get out of the track. And don't be surprised if it rains on race day.

Zooooom!

Deer Creek, er, Verizon Wireless Center

by sticki Updated Dec 18, 2002

Deer Creek (or Verizon it is now I guess) is the big outdoor music venue in Indy. Okay, technically Noblesville, but whatever. Anyways, it was brilliantly built with only a two-lane road to get in and out of it. Getting in, if you come early, isn't that bad. Finding a parking space isn't hard, though expect to walk. Getting out after the show takes an average of 3-6 hours. This is just to get out of the parking lot. Bring some food, use the toilet before heading to your car (unless you don't mind peeing in the parking lot with an audience), and try to enjoy some of the strange things people do while their car idles in line.

Lilith Fair...and I had VIP parking!

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Small town cops...

by Cabana_Boy Updated Dec 18, 2002

I grew up in a small town just North of Indianapolis and “Johnny Law” was always scrutinizing us. So, if you venture out to the suburbs, watch out for the small town cops looking to bust you for some pathetic traffic violation.

It’s really one of the reasons I eventually moved to Boston, there aren’t enough cops in the world to write tickets for all the traffic violations committed on a daily basis in Boston.

Big City Crime

by sticki Written Jan 15, 2003

Indy's relatively safe, but it still has its share of big city crime. Make sure your car doors are locked (including while driving). Don't leave vaulables or purses on the seat while driving or unattended while the car in parked. Avoid using ATMs alone at night. Always be aware of your surrounding, esp. in parking lots and garages.

• GeneralTsao's Profile Photo

Indiana State Police and Unmarked cars

by GeneralTsao Written May 22, 2005

Indiana State Police, like all police departments, have a fleet of unmarked patrol cars.

The difference is that Indiana uses unmarked Police Interceptor Camaros (top speed in excess of 150 mph--they won't publicize the actual top speed).

• Business Travel

• ronald13's Profile Photo

Naptown

by ronald13 Written Jun 16, 2005

there r a lot of things to see in the city, a lot of places to go , there is no need to venture outside of indianapolis unless u want to be harrassed by cops and/or to get lost ...if you do decided to venture out , watch the speed limit !!!!! it's is very important you will get a ticket for nuthin(trust me ) i have lived there for about 22yrs i know!!!!!!! but when u r in indianapolis try not to go to far east or west , you might find yourself in trouble. north indy is nice , so is parts of the west.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Hotel availability...

by Cabana_Boy Updated Mar 7, 2005

Book your hotel early... Indianapolis has become a popular convention destination and hotels often get booked up in this little cow patty. The last few times that I have been back to Indy and tried to get accommodations downtown, it was impossible and this was not during any of the race weekends.

Instant Answers: Indianapolis

Comments

Indianapolis Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Indianapolis warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Indianapolis sightseeing.