In 1907, eleven years before annexation into Gary in 1918, Miller incorportated as a town. In the summer of 1910, the town before voted unanimously to approve construction of this two-story brick town hall. In 1920 it was refurbished as a firehouse. Revonvation work in the mid 1970s led to the building's listing on the National Register of Historic...more
In 1919, after thirteen years of saying it wasn’t in the business of recreation, US Steel presented the 120 acre Marquette Park to the city of Gary. Ironically, this represented one of the first attempts at conservation of the Lake Michigan shoreline from industry interests. Father Marquette, the Jesuit priest who explored and did missionary work...more
The structure was built in 1921 by George Washington Maher on the sight where Octave Chanute conducted notable flight experiments in 1896 that had a big impact on the Wright Brothers' own attempts and successes. Besides the spectacular lake and Chicago skyline views and interesting architecture the east wing...more
The Shore South train stops at the Miller station, located on the northwest corner of the intersection of US 12 and Lake Street, very near Miller's shopping district. Be sure to check a train schedule, not every run stops here.
The Lake Street Gallery focuses on handmade, limited production arts and crafts with a concentration of area (particularly Dunes) related pieces. The gallery also plays hosts to Region-related book and magazine releases.
What to buy: South Shore posters (classic and new), work of local artists, frames, Dunes-relate pieces, etc...
For the most part, Miller is a safe and tight-knit community. A premeditated murder that occured in late 2002 shook this usually quiet community. These unfortunate things can happen anywhere, sadly.
That said, I have noticed graffiti, some of it gang-related, and broken liquor bottles at Marquette Park and around town so it's probably best not to mindlessly wander around the area at night.
from City of the Century by James Lane:
Several reasons have been given for naming the area Miller. There was an innkeeper named Samuel W. Miller who asked train conductors to drop off milk when they passed by, causing them to refer to the stop as "Miller Junction." A section boss named Miller was in charge of keeping roadbeds in good repair. Finally, a foreman named John Miller, who was in charge of building a station house, may have christened the area Miller, after burying his child there.