Richmond Favorites

• Carpenter Hall, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
    Carpenter Hall, Earlham College,...
    Old Barn on homestead property
  • Once the homestead property of Jill's relative
    Once the homestead property of Jill's...

Most Recent Favorites in Richmond

Jill's "Homestead" Search

by deecat Updated May 26, 2006

Once the homestead property of Jill's relative

Favorite thing: CLICK PICTURE WHICH IS PANORAMIC

Just over the Indiana border in Prebble County, Ohio, Jill had us go on a "homestead hunt" for John Woodward's homestead. It took some doing, some turning around (because of wrong direction) [Jill and I are both directionally handicapped!], and some perseverance on our part, but we did find it.

Jill Martin wrote this portion:

Equipped with the map, we travelled the National Road west from Richmond,
    just as my ancestor had done in 1814 and turned on Washington Road. The turn
    was made more difficult because of construction on Highway 40 in preparation
    for the June celebration of this, our first "interstate" road. We went a
    half mile down the road and turned around, parked along the road and began
    taking photos of the woods and fields. We moved the car toward a house and
    distant barn, taking more photos.

Fondest memory: A woman from the house greeted us, heard of my genealogy, said she
    was adescendant of Michael Crull who had purchased the land from a "John Wood," and invited us in to the house after we walked to photograph the nineteenth
    century barn. This wonderfully hospitable woman was a genealogist (in fact, we have a Quaker surname in common, so may be distantly related) who showed
    me land patents and abstracts of the land on which our ancestors both lived.

Just one great example of the wonderful hospitality of the Hoosiers of Wayne
    County that I¹ll never forget!

Is it Woodward or Wood (ironically, deecat's maiden name is Wood)? The plot thickens!

Other Places Worth Visiting

by deecat Updated May 20, 2006

Favorite thing: Because of time restrictions, Jill and I were unable to visit all the wonderful places available in and around Richmond, Indiana. However, I would be remiss if I did not mention them here.

Old Metamora Village is near Richmond. It is a scenic village with quaint shops, train rides, carriage and horse-drawn boat rides.

Whitewater Memorial State Park in Liberty, Indiana
    This is a 200-acre Whitewater Lake with its paddle boat, rowboat and canoe rentals, provides fishing, swimming, picnicking, camping, and horseback riding. (15 miles south of Richmond).

Whitewater Valley Railroad A 16-mile, hour and a half (one way) journey from Connersville to Metamora.

Wilbur Wright Birthplace in Henry County, just west of Hagerstown.
    There's a full-scale Wright Flyer, photographs, and a replica of Wilbur's birthplace home and more.

The Quaker Trace & The Whitewater River Gorge is a dramatic wooded canyon formed by glaciers on the west edge of what is today the city of Richmond. It's a three-mile long gorge that spans 800 feet from rim to rim and plunges 80 feet!

Amish Settlement in northern Wayne County. This is Indiana's newest Amish settlement.

Indiana Football Hall of Fame in Richmond It featufes displays and memorabilia from Indiana high school, collegiate, and professional athletes. Tour guides. Located at 815 North "A" Street in Richmond.

Museum of Overbeck Art Pottery This is located in Cambridge City. This pottery was produced between 1911 and 1955 by six Overbeck sisters who lived and worked in Cambridge City, Indiana.

Fondest memory: Hayes Arboretum in Richmond This is a 500-acre nature preserve that contains 60 acres of old growth beech-maple forest! Hiking, exhibits, tours, nature drives, butterfly house, bird area, nature center. (801 Elks Road)

I could go on and on; these are just the highlights of what's available that we were unable to see.

• Architecture

Earlham College

by deecat Written May 20, 2006

Carpenter Hall, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana

Favorite thing: Another interesting fact about Richmond, Indiana, is that it is the home of the highly-regarded Earlham College.

The photograph is of Carpenter Hall, which today serves as classrooms and administrative offices on campus. Earlham College was founded in 1847 by Quakers (Religious Society of Friends). It is an independent, coeducational, four-year college.

From what I remember as a high school teacher, Earlham has always been strongest in liberal arts and is highly respected in academic circles.

But what I remember most about the college and the students from my school who attented Earlham was that major emphasis is placed on teaching the students to work effectively with others; sharing is emphasized. They also press the issues of the "value of lifelong learning, the value of appreciating cultural, ethnic, and religious diversity, and the value of becoming engaged in global citizens".

Fondest memory: We were told by locals that the library at Earlham is really quite wonderful for geneology research. I've also read in newspapers several times that Earlham students go on "missions" so to speak to help others. The Earlham students also do lots of volunteer works in the Wayne County area.

Indeed, Earlham College is a real asset to Richmond, Indiana.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Richmond Favorites

Reviews and photos of Richmond favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Richmond sightseeing.