Valparaiso Restaurants

Bar area
    Dave at the guitar

Most Recent Restaurants in Valparaiso

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Casa del Mar: New Place in town (Mexican)

by Toughluck Written Mar 27, 2014
    Once the County Jail

My brother was in town and we always go out. The Casa del Mar opened a few weeks ago and I'd heard that they have live music 3 nights a week. It was Saturday, to off we went. From the outside, it looked small and crowded. Inside, there are plenty of room. We didn't have to wait. While seated, we watched 8 of our friends leave, whom we did not see when we came in. It's big.

The service was friendly and the staff was a mix of anglos and hispanic. The music started at 7:30 p.m. Began with some easy listening and them moved on to more popular and spanish style.

Favorite Dish: Quesadias, Tacos, Burritos. The guacamole had a nice mix of onion in it. Portions were good sized, the food was hot and tasted delicious.

• PTKeil's Profile Photo

The Stacks: Kick Back in The Stacks

by PTKeil Updated Jun 2, 2013

We were a group of friends who toured around this town where Valparaiso University is. The Stacks is not easy to find, for it's a bar/restaurant that's inside another building that is downtown near Central Park.

The themed atmosphere is terrific. Shelves and shelves of books of all kinds. Conversation pieces everywhere around you. My favorite find was The Popup Book of Phobias. There is outdoor seating.

The food we had were appys....bruschetta, pretzel bites and Romano cheese fries (warning the "ketchup" isn't ketchup, but delicious nonetheless). I'll be taking hubby back there to dinner.

Favorite Dish: Haven't formally had a dish, but loved every appy we tried that is mentioned above. Will revise when we go back again.

• Women's Travel
    • School Holidays

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Valley Kitchen and Bar: Restaurant that feels like a coffeehouse.

by Toughluck Written Feb 3, 2012

Amongst the newest in town is the Valley Kitchen and Bar. Pleasant atmosphere. They pride themselves on the freshest and therefore local sources of their produce and meats. Excellent flavor.

Favorite Dish: I've tried several things, including their French Fries. That can be a meal unto itself. Not just potatoes, but spiced to a unique flavor.

Blackbird: Friendly

by Toughluck Written Feb 3, 2012

Without a doubt, this is the place to come if you're interested in the local art scene. Monthly or less often, the Cafe highlights a local artist on it's walls. The works are always interesting, if not to my personal liking. Plenty of sandwiches to choose from and a variety of coffee. Not being a coffee drinker, I can't comment on the various choices. Never the less, I'm a regular - once or twice a month regular. Of all the places I go to, inevitably, I end of talking to somebody I've never met before. It's always interesting.

Favorite Dish: Baked goods top my list. Cookies, and sweet rolls amongst the best. Bagel and butter is right up there.

Cornucopia Coffee Co.: Music, Coffee and Lunch

by Toughluck Written Feb 3, 2012

Live music in the evening, but I always go late morning. Usually around until lunch, when a number of people from the offices come in. Always friendly, never noisy.

Favorite Dish: Toasted bagel with butter. There is a selection of sandwiches, which look good, and pastries on a daily basis. I like the cheesecake - smooth and rich.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Round the Clock: Desert Anyone?

by Toughluck Updated Dec 31, 2009

Looking for a full meal with wonderful flavor? Then Round the Clock is the place to go. A full menu of dinners, delicious fresh baked roles, crisp salads and hot entrees. If you can go early or late, you'll find less of a crowd as this is one of the busier places in town. We've gone at the dinner hour, showed up late in the evening, come on Sunday at noon. Everytime, the service has been great, the food excellent, and the meal filling.

Actually, it's part of a local chain of 'Round the Clock's'. Each offers delicious food and a beautiful setting.

Favorite Dish: So many to choose. The barbeque beef, sirlon tips and noodles, open face roast beef, are just a few.

One of our favorite things to do is to stop by late on the weekend just for desert. Round the Clock has the best deserts in town. Triple Chocolate cake, Strawberry Cheesecake, although I prefer their 'plain' Cheesecake. Try the cream pies or even a bowl of ice cream. Seldom when we have a meal is there room for desert, so we make a special trip just for the sweets.

Here's what's good:
    -Corned Beef on Rye
    -Roast Beef French Dip

Spodiddly's: Cafe eating

by Toughluck Updated Nov 12, 2009

It was a a place to just drop in and have a nice meal. It's gone. The entire plaza is gone and now a CVS Pharmacy. Nice pharmacy, but not a restaurant. Spodiddly's is a breakfast and lunch cafe with some evening hours. Homecooking. Simple, low priced and very good.

Favorite Dish: The cheeseburger or hamburger are real burgers, not premade, but put together just for you. Great flavor and fresh.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Michael's Greeks Pizzeria: Downtown Pizza (Greeks)

by Toughluck Updated Sep 28, 2009

Greek's Pizza

A wonderful and busy little restaurant just off Courthouse Square (to the Southwest). The place is a little rustic with wood floors and wood booths. In back is a large dining room that is always busy. On Friday or Saturday, you may have a hard time finding a place to sit. A hot steaming pizza will keep you company as you see most of Valparaiso walk through the doors for carryout.

By the way, It's not 'Greek' Pizza! It's Greeks (from Greek town, when it was next to the Valparaiso Univ. campus).

Favorite Dish: Pizza what else. Any kind will do. Pepperoni?, How about beef, green pepper and onion?

CT Pizza Works: Chicago Style Pizza

by Toughluck Updated Sep 28, 2009

Here's another restaurant that's gone. It's now a CVS Pharmacy.

Deep Dish Pizza's their specialty, but that's not what we go for. As a store front restaurant, it's very comfortable. Of course, it's in the place of a favorite restaurant that closed (Jim Dandy's), so maybe that's what makes it comfortable.

Favorite Dish: We always get a medium pizza and salad to share. The salads are huge and one is enough to feed two.

• China House: Great Chinese -not very nice ladies!

by Umevan Written Jun 15, 2008

The food here is very good. You don't get overloaded with tons of it that you end up carrying home in a box. This can be good or bad depending on whether you are a big eater. The food is also very light - unlike other Chinese food. That being said .............the women who wait on the tables aren't really very nice. They're direct and to the point. If you ask a question, for instance, "May I have the fried tofu?", they just blurt out, "No tofu!" But the menu said TOFU!" "NO TOFU!" she yelled. She wasn't nice about it. I've eaten there many times in the past, but it just seems like I"m bothing them when I go in anymore - so I don't. Again, great service, if you can stomach the occasional rudeness.

Favorite Dish: Buddha's Delight.

Little Tokyo: Japanese Food comes to town

by Toughluck Updated Apr 11, 2008

The habachi grills are a wonderful treat. The Chief comes to the table and cooks your meal right there. Some prepare each course and serve it hot, with the next course still on the grill. Others will prepare the meal so that it all comes at the same time, hot and delicious.

Favorite Dish: I've only had two dishes. Both were the Habachi steaks. Both were good. My wife had the chicken.

Each meal comes with:

salad and ginger dressing
    shrimp appetizer
    Hot mustard dipping sauce
    Sweet and sour dipping sauce
    white rice, which can be substituted with fried rice.

Chuck's Bakery: Bakery with Donuts

by Toughluck Written Apr 11, 2008

For years, we'd head over to Chuck's for breakfast on Saturday morning. There are regular's each day of the week for coffee and donut's. They're the best in town.

Favorite Dish: Sugar twists and the coffee roll (cinimon cake, the big one, fried cinnimon, and several other names).

Viking Chili Bowl: Chili and much more

by Toughluck Updated Apr 8, 2008

Great American food. Fast, friendly and seats large groups or one person. Looking for a great lunch? Try the Chili Bowl. It's a family restaurant with lots of space and room for the kids. Get there by 2 pm. They close after lunch and don't open until breakfast the next day. Even when it's crowded, the wait is still short.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast is among the best, omelets, eggs and bacon, hash browns, give them a try. For the lunch eaters, there is always a soup of the day which comes with most meals. Chili is available and good, but not the reason to stay and eat.

Rueben's, burgers, Patty Melts, Bacon & Eggs, all add up to a great meal. There is more, but I'm happy with the basic.
    Try the Open Face Turkey or Roast Beef! Maybe, you'd like their 'chili' after all, it's in the name. These are all good and will fill you up.

• Restaurante don Quijote: Great!

by Umevan Written Feb 9, 2008

This is authentic Spanish and in no way Mexican! Carlos Rivera has been a wonderful part of our community for many years - often taking part in fundraisiers and introducing Spanish food to the people from all over.

Their aoli is so wonderful I dream about it. They have opened a store next to the restaurant and now I can buy it whenever I'd like. There are so many favorites, too numerous to list, but my favorite is the tapas of potato salad; mushrooms swimming in a delicious sauce, the gazpacho is so good I want it even in winter.

I can't say enough about this great place. Carlos even takes a group of people on a culinary tour of Spain once a year! The albondigas is wonderful. Everything is freshly made. It's not cheap but what a treat. Every Spanish class my kids were in came here as an experience and they loved it.

Favorite Dish: Their homemade SANGRIA!!! As for food, I haven't found a dish that I didn't like there. I believe they have paella for two which is a treat.

• El Charro: Great Mexican

by Umevan Written Feb 9, 2008

I love this place and it's my favorite Mexican Restaurant. The chips and salsa are delicious and the staff is friendly and helpful. I have never been disapponted with the food here. It's housed in an old Burger King, so it's plenty big for a large family. It's not much in atmosphere but it makes up for that with the great food.

Favorite Dish: I love the shrimp fajitas. It is filled with succulent large shrimp (not small or canned as in someplaces) which is grilled to perfection and smothered with tender-crisp green pepper, onion, etc.

Instant Answers: Valparaiso

Comments

Valparaiso Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Valparaiso restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Valparaiso sightseeing.