Whiting Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Whiting

• Dabs's Profile Photo

"Peeps" contest

by Dabs Updated Sep 3, 2007

As part of the annual Easter festivities, Whiting has a "Peeps" contest for the most creative use of Peeps, those delightful little neon colored marshmallow bunnies and chicks that appear in their cavity inducing glory this time of year.

My husband, by day a serious professional, by night the creator of wacky Peep projects, came up with three for 2007, two of which were prize winners, "Prettiest of Peeps" for his Whiting Peeps which is based on the Whiting Pops concerts held in Whiting Park and "Best Peepared" for the Peepsicle, he donated the prize money to the local historical society.

My contribution to this process is coming up with ideas and then David is on his own to create the diorama. The 3rd one that didn't win a prize was based on Billy Goat Tavern, we turned the famous Saturday Night Live skit into "Cheepsborger, Cheepsborger, no fries, Cheeps, no Peepsi, Coke". Well, I thought it was clever...

We've already got ideas for next year but you'll not hear a "Peep" out of me!

Peepsicle Billy Goat Tavern Whiting Peeps

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Twelfth Night

by Dabs Updated Jan 10, 2007

I'm a Christmas traditionalist, despite the rising cost of live trees and despite finding needles in my carpet until the next December, usually with a sharp jab to my foot, and despite the pain of stringing the lights every year, I still insist on a live tree. When I worked in corporate America and had auditors breathing down my neck in early January, I was lucky to get my tree down before February!

But this year, I managed to pluck off all the decorations in time for Twelfth Night, held on January 6th, in nearby Whiting Park. Since my husband lugged the tree over to the bonfire sight, we had to go watch it burn so we braved the cold weather, listened to the Christmas carols, sipped hot chocolate and watched them crown the Twelfth Night Princess before the Whiting Fire Dept. set the bonfire ablaze with the aid of a little accelerant and a couple of flares. We were a little disappointed when our tree, deprived of water for at least a couple of weeks, smoldered instead of going out in a blaze of glory.

Twelfth Night is celebrated on the 12th day after Christmas, January 5th or 6th depending on who is doing the counting. English and French custom has a cake baked with a bean and a pea, those who receive the slices with them are crowned king and queen of Twelfth Night. We didn't get any cake but instead picked a bean out of a basket, I think the contest was rigged ;-)

Twelfth Night bonfire Twelfth Night bonfire

Instant Answers: Whiting

Comments

Whiting Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Whiting local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Whiting sightseeing.