Iowa City Restaurants

Pagliar's Pizza

Most Recent Restaurants in Iowa City

Cactus Mexican Restaurant: Mexican Awesome

by tvdandy Written Jul 26, 2014

I have been here twice, and both times I ordered the Senor Burro, and it was the best burrito I have ever had. So I guess I can say this restaurant had some of the best mexican I ever tasted. They start you off with a generous helping of chips and salsa as well, which is always awesome. Another great aspect is that it is walking distance from downtown and it has outdoor seating for awesome seating.

Favorite Dish: The Senor Burro, get the Senor Burro.

Senor Burro at Cactus.

• tvdandy's Profile Photo

Java House: a unique coffee house

by tvdandy Written Jul 26, 2014

What I like about Java House is that it has a unique approach to coffee serving. Every cup is fresh, made to order, without having to wait forever. I also love that the location is right downtown, so it has a big college crowd, as well as occasionally the pretentious hipster and the professor who tries to relive his youth by wearing a ponytail.

The Java House

• tvdandy's Profile Photo

Mama's Deli and Catering: Just like mama use to make.

by tvdandy Written Jul 26, 2014

This is my favorite place for lunch in downtown. Excellent sandwiches, soup and wraps that have a home cooking touch. Great lunch specials everyday. The mother runs it and I believe the wait staff is her daughters. Try the Chicken Noodle or Broccoli and cream soups, to die for. Great mac and cheese as well. And the helpings are generous!

Mama's, Iowa City

Bo James Food and Drink: Good Ole Burger and Brew

by tvdandy Written Jul 26, 2014

Iowa City has many brew and burger pubs throughout the town. One of my favorites is Bo James. It is in the heart of downtown and has an outdoor patio so great people watching. Great deal too. Burger basket for only 6 bucks. Great burgers too! Casual, fun and in the heart of it all. Lovely college age gals as staff too. Woof, Woof.

Bo James

• tvdandy's Profile Photo

Z'Marik's: It's the cheesiest.

by tvdandy Written Jul 25, 2014

This is a cool little restaurant located in the heart of downtown which specializes in different styles of Macaroni and Cheese. It's better than it sounds, trust me. Very reasonably priced. Great for lunch. On Mondays, bowls are only $4.00.

Z'Marik's

Pagliai's Pizza: Best Pizza in Iowa City

by tvdandy Written Jul 25, 2014

A wonderful and legendary pizza place well known all over Iowa City and always voted the best by the regulars in this town. All the pizza is thin crust and the topping are cooked in the breading. Awesome. Very reasonable price as well.

Pagliar's Pizza

High Ground Cafe: Coffee House and more

by tvdandy Written Jul 25, 2014

Tucked in a corner in the wonderful Northside neighborhood. Not only does it offer some wonderful coffee with the standard wifi, they also try hard to make it a nice gathering place. Every Friday night they have live music and once a month they have a movie night. A nice, chill place.

High Ground Cafe

Bluebird Diner: Old school diner

by tvdandy Written Jul 25, 2014

Unfortunately, Iowa City has a limited amount of good ole fashion diners with a hint of greasy spoon. Thank goodness for The Bluebird Diner. Come in and have an old school all American breakfast. Heaps of eggs, bacon, ham, hashbrowns, you know the drill. In a pure no frills environment. The service is friendly and fast and the restaurant is located in the wonderful Northside neighborhood. The one negative is that their is such a limited amount of old school diners that most weekend mornings their is always a line outside the door.

Favorite Dish: Ham and Eggs, and just about any breakfast.

Bluebird Diner

• leics's Profile Photo

The Bluebird Diner: The best possible breakfast...

by leics Written Aug 29, 2012

Well, this place was recommended to me by locals as the best place and I certainly thought it was pretty brilliant. So did lots of other people..it was busy each time I (or my companions) ate breakfast.

The food is simply excellent, imo. Wonderful hash browns, tasty eggs, superb home-made buttermilk pancakes...I could get fat very quickly if I lived in IC!

If you're a vegetarian but still want your hash browns and eggs, they'll replace the bacon with a bowl of fruit. My veggie companion appreciated that.

My non-veggie companion loved the steel-cut oats with maple syrup and blueberries, and equally loved her biscuits and gravy (even though she was not feeling crump-footed that day).

Me, I really enjoyed my 'Bluebird eggs' and, on the second visit, truly relished my three (!) pancakes with whipped butter, fried bananas, pecans and maple syrup.

Had time allowed (o, I *do* want to go back to IC!) I'd have tried the corned beef hash and eggs, and the huevos epteinos, and ...o, just look at the breakfast menu and drool!

I didn't eat lunch or dinner there, but I cannot imagine that the food is any less wonderful..nor any less reasonably-priced.

Service was friendly, courteous and efficient with coffee replaced as and when.

What more can I say? Eat at least one of your breakfasts at the Bluebird. You'll regret it if you don't!

Bluebird eggs (and random melon chunk) Busy Sunday breakfast The pancakes (and random chunk of melon)

An entirely superb place!: The Bread Garden Market

by leics Written Aug 29, 2012

The Bread Garden is a small food supermarket cum coffee shop cum breakfast/lunchtime/early evening meal place...and it is absolutely superb (imo).

Supermarket first: everything you could want, all of very high quality (at reasonable prices). Lots of organic and vegetarian options, lots of unusual ingredients, its own breads (sliced to order if you wish) and rolls, 'heirloom' fruits and vegetables: just brilliant. a deli counter, of course, fresh meat, wine and beer...

Coffeeshop: lots of coffees available (and teas, and cold drinks), its own cookies, brownies, muffins etc...and they can actually make a proper Americano!

Eating: there are hot and cold self-serve counters where you can make up your own box of food to eat at the tables outside, or take home. Contents are weighed and priced accordingly. I made myself a huuuge box of salads...there must have been 30 different containers of bits to choose from, including 'plain' ingredients (leaves, tomatoes, nuts, seeds, cucumber slices etc etc) and ready-made salads (potato, pasta, salads with chunks of meat, salads with chickpeas...you name it!). I didn't get chance to try the hot dishes (I was being fed...a lot...elsewhere on a regular basis) but everything was super-fresh, very tasty and excellent value for money imo.

All the staff were incredibly polite, helpful and friendly ..lots of chat with me, lots of banter with the obvious regulars.

Was it busy every time I walked past (at leas twice a day, often more)? Yes, busy with people eating, drinking coffee, chatting with friends, shopping...

I thought this place was absolutely brilliant. And it's open from 6.30am until 10pm every day, which is even better.

Don't miss it!

Bread Garden Market

The Java House: Excellent coffee, excellent ambience

by leics Written Aug 29, 2012

Again, visiting with non-VT-ers means no photos.

The Java House is 'an IC institution' and I'm not in the least bit surprised. You can choose from a vast range of coffees, teas and other drinks (see the menus on the website) as well as what looked like really delcious 'bakery treats' (for which I had no room, unfortunately).

The interior has tables of various heights, comfy sofas and free wifi....and was busy with people every time I passed by (which I did quite frequently).

Definitely somewhere to relax, read a book, surf the net, chat with friends... and enjoy.

:-)

• Singles

Basta: Italian....

by leics Updated Aug 29, 2012

I ate here with non-VT-ers, so didn't dare take photos of the food!

This pizzeria/restaurant in in the heart of downtown IC, on Iowa Avenue. It was buzzing when we ate there (a midweek evening) and is clearly a very popular place.

The menu is quite extensive, prices reasonable and the food was very good indeed. I only had the starter of foccaccia with garlic, parmesan and tomatoes (which was very good indeed). My companions had the spaghetti bolognese and the roasted butternut squash ravioli, also both very good indeed.

Portions were big, of course (some of the spaghetti came home with us) and service was both efficient and courteous.

Recommended.

• Singles

• atufft's Profile Photo

Panchero's Mexican Grill: Most Popular Mexican Restaurant in Town

by atufft Written Mar 20, 2011

Located across from the Old Capitol Mall, Panchero's is a very popular hangout. The wheat tortillas are freshly made, and the cafeteria style service excellent. Panchero's is actually an Iowa based franchise operation with restaurants throughout the midwest. The artsy interior is upscale.

Favorite Dish: Except for those whose religious convictions require otherwise, I totally recommend choosing the Iowa pulled pork as the meat for one's taco or burrito. Iowa produces the best pork in the world, without a doubt, and pulled pork is my favorite way to prepare it.

Panchero's of Iowa City, IA Panchero's of Iowa City, IA

• 126: 126 is wonderful

by Knowsthescore Written Apr 16, 2008

I disagree completely and wholeheartedly with the negative review of 126 posted here. The definition of good food in a college town can be difficult. Maybe that guy should just go down the block to Panchero's for a pillow-sized load of rice and beans. After-the-bars food for drunks. I honestly do not know what this guy is talking about.

The food and service at 126 are quite good. I have eaten there dozens of times and have never had a bad time. The quality and consistency of the "cuisine" keeps me interested. The shrimp po-boy, which has at least six shrimp on it, is worthy of New Orleans. And, as a native of that city, I do not waste my time on bad food.

126 is wonderful. You will have a good experience there. Believe me.

Favorite Dish: The salads are wonderful. I usually order the shrimp po-boy.

• La Reyna: Authentic Mexican

by PahaPlace Written Apr 30, 2007

This is a great authentic mexican restaurant. They start you off with fresh pico de gallo and chips and it improves from there. I highly reccomend the torta with pastor, but I've never had anything less than delicious. They have beer, but no margaritas. Coca-cola and Pepsi made with actual sugar are available here (heche in Mexico). The wine list is small, but unusual. The service can be slow. It is right next to a mexican grocery store.

Instant Answers: Iowa City

Comments

Iowa City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Iowa City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Iowa City sightseeing.