Iowa City Restaurants

• Restaurants
    Bread Garden Market

Most Recent Restaurants in Iowa City

• leics's Profile Photo

The Bluebird Diner: The best possible breakfast...

by leics Written Aug 29, 2012

Well, this place was recommended to me by locals as the best place and I certainly thought it was pretty brilliant. So did lots of other people..it was busy each time I (or my companions) ate breakfast.

The food is simply excellent, imo. Wonderful hash browns, tasty eggs, superb home-made buttermilk pancakes...I could get fat very quickly if I lived in IC!

If you're a vegetarian but still want your hash browns and eggs, they'll replace the bacon with a bowl of fruit. My veggie companion appreciated that.

My non-veggie companion loved the steel-cut oats with maple syrup and blueberries, and equally loved her biscuits and gravy (even though she was not feeling crump-footed that day).

Me, I really enjoyed my 'Bluebird eggs' and, on the second visit, truly relished my three (!) pancakes with whipped butter, fried bananas, pecans and maple syrup.

Had time allowed (o, I *do* want to go back to IC!) I'd have tried the corned beef hash and eggs, and the huevos epteinos, and ...o, just look at the breakfast menu and drool!

I didn't eat lunch or dinner there, but I cannot imagine that the food is any less wonderful..nor any less reasonably-priced.

Service was friendly, courteous and efficient with coffee replaced as and when.

What more can I say? Eat at least one of your breakfasts at the Bluebird. You'll regret it if you don't!

An entirely superb place!: The Bread Garden Market

Bread Garden Market

The Bread Garden is a small food supermarket cum coffee shop cum breakfast/lunchtime/early evening meal place...and it is absolutely superb (imo).

Supermarket first: everything you could want, all of very high quality (at reasonable prices). Lots of organic and vegetarian options, lots of unusual ingredients, its own breads (sliced to order if you wish) and rolls, 'heirloom' fruits and vegetables: just brilliant. a deli counter, of course, fresh meat, wine and beer...

Coffeeshop: lots of coffees available (and teas, and cold drinks), its own cookies, brownies, muffins etc...and they can actually make a proper Americano!

Eating: there are hot and cold self-serve counters where you can make up your own box of food to eat at the tables outside, or take home. Contents are weighed and priced accordingly. I made myself a huuuge box of salads...there must have been 30 different containers of bits to choose from, including 'plain' ingredients (leaves, tomatoes, nuts, seeds, cucumber slices etc etc) and ready-made salads (potato, pasta, salads with chunks of meat, salads with chickpeas...you name it!). I didn't get chance to try the hot dishes (I was being fed...a lot...elsewhere on a regular basis) but everything was super-fresh, very tasty and excellent value for money imo.

All the staff were incredibly polite, helpful and friendly ..lots of chat with me, lots of banter with the obvious regulars.

Was it busy every time I walked past (at leas twice a day, often more)? Yes, busy with people eating, drinking coffee, chatting with friends, shopping...

I thought this place was absolutely brilliant. And it's open from 6.30am until 10pm every day, which is even better.

Don't miss it!

The Java House: Excellent coffee, excellent ambience

by leics Written Aug 29, 2012

Again, visiting with non-VT-ers means no photos.

The Java House is 'an IC institution' and I'm not in the least bit surprised. You can choose from a vast range of coffees, teas and other drinks (see the menus on the website) as well as what looked like really delcious 'bakery treats' (for which I had no room, unfortunately).

The interior has tables of various heights, comfy sofas and free wifi....and was busy with people every time I passed by (which I did quite frequently).

Definitely somewhere to relax, read a book, surf the net, chat with friends... and enjoy.

:-)

Basta: Italian....

by leics Updated Aug 29, 2012

I ate here with non-VT-ers, so didn't dare take photos of the food!

This pizzeria/restaurant in in the heart of downtown IC, on Iowa Avenue. It was buzzing when we ate there (a midweek evening) and is clearly a very popular place.

The menu is quite extensive, prices reasonable and the food was very good indeed. I only had the starter of foccaccia with garlic, parmesan and tomatoes (which was very good indeed). My companions had the spaghetti bolognese and the roasted butternut squash ravioli, also both very good indeed.

Portions were big, of course (some of the spaghetti came home with us) and service was both efficient and courteous.

Recommended.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Panchero's Mexican Grill: Most Popular Mexican Restaurant in Town

by atufft Written Mar 20, 2011
    Panchero's of Iowa City, IA

Located across from the Old Capitol Mall, Panchero's is a very popular hangout. The wheat tortillas are freshly made, and the cafeteria style service excellent. Panchero's is actually an Iowa based franchise operation with restaurants throughout the midwest. The artsy interior is upscale.

Favorite Dish: Except for those whose religious convictions require otherwise, I totally recommend choosing the Iowa pulled pork as the meat for one's taco or burrito. Iowa produces the best pork in the world, without a doubt, and pulled pork is my favorite way to prepare it.

• 126: 126 is wonderful

by Knowsthescore Written Apr 16, 2008

I disagree completely and wholeheartedly with the negative review of 126 posted here. The definition of good food in a college town can be difficult. Maybe that guy should just go down the block to Panchero's for a pillow-sized load of rice and beans. After-the-bars food for drunks. I honestly do not know what this guy is talking about.

The food and service at 126 are quite good. I have eaten there dozens of times and have never had a bad time. The quality and consistency of the "cuisine" keeps me interested. The shrimp po-boy, which has at least six shrimp on it, is worthy of New Orleans. And, as a native of that city, I do not waste my time on bad food.

126 is wonderful. You will have a good experience there. Believe me.

Favorite Dish: The salads are wonderful. I usually order the shrimp po-boy.

• La Reyna: Authentic Mexican

by PahaPlace Written Apr 30, 2007

This is a great authentic mexican restaurant. They start you off with fresh pico de gallo and chips and it improves from there. I highly reccomend the torta with pastor, but I've never had anything less than delicious. They have beer, but no margaritas. Coca-cola and Pepsi made with actual sugar are available here (heche in Mexico). The wine list is small, but unusual. The service can be slow. It is right next to a mexican grocery store.

• Skybox bar and grille: Awesome Deals/ Great food everyone will love!

by Neeka Written Mar 1, 2007

The restaurants food is great, it has everything that anyone would like. Wraps, Munchies, salads, soups, franks, sandwiches, burgers.....Everything is priced really cheaply. Their weekly deals are awesome! Monday: buy a dozen wings, get a dozen; Tuesday: $4 buffalo Chix Basket; Wednesday: half price on All munchies!; Thursday: $4 grilled cheese basket; Friday: $4 Burger Baskets; Sunday is super popular because of the $.25 wings! The staff is super friendly and nice, mostly all college students.

Favorite Dish: *Spinach Dip, Mini Tacos, Skybox club wrap, and BURGER BASKETs on Fridays are my favorites.

• Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• 126: Looks good from far, but is far from good!!

by tee2003 Written Feb 2, 2007

This restaurant is TERRIBLE. We've been there several times because the ambiance is very nice, admittedly. The lighting is dim, the decor is sophisticated, and the bar upstairs is attractive. But the food is laughable. It is incredibly overpriced, first. Second, the portions are TEENY-TINY. Third, the tastes are bland and safe. Last time I was there I ordered grilled asparagus for $9 as an appetizer, and I got eight of the most shrivelled, tasteless asparagus I've ever had. That same night a friend of mine ordered some sort of pasta with shrimp for about $17, and got TWO shrimp in a bowl of pasta! We just couldn't believe it. And the service is not great either. There's no special treatment for the prices you're paying. My husband and I have eaten the world over, and never have we had such poor quality service or food. The locals flock to this restaurant because it "looks" good (the choices in Iowa City are limited when it comes to "trendy" restaurants and this one APPEARS to be). Honestly, I feel like the butt of 126's joke when I eat there.

Favorite Dish: Their beer.

• mommof4's Profile Photo

Brown Bottle: WARNING

by mommof4 Written Sep 30, 2006

This place has been around for years and has been declining steadily. They won't take reservations for a party of 2, but ask when you arrive if you have one...DUH! The wait is painful and you are not seated as you arrive, reservations are seated first while you wait and wait and wait. THEN...when you finally get a table, the food is awful! Not sure if it is new management or what, but I won't go back...gave them 3 chances the past year and each experience was the same. This used to be one of our favorites....steer clear!

• Disabilities

• Pagliai's Pizza: Best of Iowa City

by ironclancy Updated Jul 6, 2006

I've been to a lot of pizza places around the world and this is still my favorite. They cook the pizza differently here. The place was passed from father to son - you can still see Mr. Pagliai out front tossing pizzas. It's one of the places I make a point to visit whenever I'm in town.

Favorite Dish: Any pizza here is good. I don't know if I've ever tried anything else, or if they even make anything else anymore. I suppose I usually get the mushroom. Watch out when you first get it, it's real hot. Plenty of people burn the roof of their mouths and feel it for a few days when they come here.

• Hamburg Inn #2: Best of Iowa City #1

by ironclancy Written Jul 6, 2006

This place has been around forever. Reagan, Clinton and John Waters ate here when they came into town (not all at once) - they're honored with tables. The place was mentioned in The West Wing. It's charm is the local service, the great american food and the atmoesphere. Plus, they serve pie shakes.

Favorite Dish: I'm a vegetarian and I think they make a mean veggie burger here. Breakfast is always good too.

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo

Pagliais Pizza: Best Pizza In Iowa - Period!

by mikehanneman Written Jun 25, 2006

Making the BEST Pizzas around!

Don't miss this pizza place. Not much to look at inside or outside. I ate there when I went college at Iowa and it is just as good today as it was in the 70's.

Thin pizza for about $12 to $13.00 for a large. When you approach Pagliais, you quickly notice through the window around 10 guys working at a fast pace to make all the pizzas. No messing around here!

Best pizza in Iowa. Period. I live 75 miles away and stop to eat every chance I get.

No credit cards - opens at 4 pm.

Enjoy the great pizza.

Favorite Dish: Any pizza you want you will love.

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Masala Indian Vegetarian: Yummy!

by Bela_LUng Written Mar 23, 2005

Buffet for cheap located near the University. How can you go wrong? The food is good but has a relatively small selection. The Eggplant "mush" was -Awesome-.
    If you need a quick fast fix of Indian food loving, do it here.

Even thought it's called "Masala Indian Vegetarian" there was some meat dishes.

Favorite Dish: Eggplant mush and the spinach in batter stuff! WOOO!

• jodssmile's Profile Photo

Iowa River Power Restaurant: Romantic-ask for seat by window!

by jodssmile Updated Jan 21, 2005

warm inner atmosphere

This is the original power company building. They turned into a restaurant. Make reservation and make sure at time you do that you request window seat. The window seat is the key.
    You watch the water flow and often fishermen trying to catch those catfish while you eat.
    Food is yummy, a little pricey.
    Atmosphere at night is romantic.
    Do not let older building red brick exterior fool you, is very warm and modern inside!

Favorite Dish: I love the filet mignon--okay so I like steak.
    My husband likes the duck.
    They have warm bread and some nice wines.

Instant Answers: Iowa City

Comments

Iowa City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Iowa City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Iowa City sightseeing.