Kalona Shopping

• Jill making her purchase at Kalona Bakery
    Jill making her purchase at Kalona...
    Eating Area at Kalona Bakery
    The Village Shoppe in Kalona

Most Recent Shopping in Kalona

Kalona Bakery: Quality Homemade Items

by deecat Updated Apr 4, 2011

While in Kalona, we went to the Kalona Bakery. While we were there, we checked out their menu. They had freshly made sandwiches and soups.

They are very famous for their donuts, pastries, cookies, cakes, pies, rolls, bread, and homemade noodles. My mother always made such delicious homemade noodles [very thin], and when I saw theirs, I just had to purchase a bag to take home to try.

I learned that Kalona Bakery supplies more than 100 grocery stores throughout Iowa and nearby states with their famous homemade noodles!

What to buy: If you eat lunch there, you may order sub sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, taco wraps, soups salads, and bottled beverages. They have fresh made-to-order sandwich and homemade soups and salads made all day.

If you are a tourist who just wants to take home some delicious food, you are able to find canned meats, pastas, Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls, jams and jellies, and the noodles, of course.

In addition, they sell Kalona mugs and they make up gift boxes.

I've tried the jam that I purchased, and it is excellent.

Marilyn Bender is the owners; Vicki Bender is the Manager

What to pay: Usually in a tourist area, the prices are very high. Both Jill and I thought that the prices were quite fair.

Jill making her purchase at Kalona Bakery Eating Area at Kalona Bakery

• BLSM's Profile Photo

Kolona Sale Barn: Horses and more Horses

by BLSM Written Aug 17, 2007

The first Monday of every month is Horse Sale day. Since the Old Order Amish still drive horse and buggies there is a demand for horses. They also farm with them. This sale draws sellers and buyers from several states. It runs for hours and includes the sale of harnesses and tack.

What to buy: Horses of all sizes including Draft horses. Harness and tack.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Horse Riding

Yoder's, Woodin Wheel, Stitch 'n Sew: Quilt Shopping in Kalona

by deecat Updated Jun 21, 2007

Even though Kalona is known as "The Quilt Capital of Iowa", Jill was somewhat disappointed in the merchandise available in places that sold quilts. Her take on it is that she will shy away from shops that sell too many diverse items in addition to quilts and/or quilt materials.

Yoder's Antiques, Gifts, and Quilts is a shop that is jam-packed with items. [ corner of Avenue B and 5th ]Everywhere that you look or walk, there are "things". They have antiques, quilts, primitives, graniteware, children's books, toys, glassware, & holiday items.
    I had some difficulty in this store because it was so crowded. I was pleased that the quilts were in a area alone so that you could concentrate on them.

Woodin Wheel Antiques, Quilts & Gifts: [515 B Avenue; 319-656-2240]. This diverse shop did have a great selection of designer cloth purses. Jill fell in love with this one design so I bought her the larger of the two sizes for her August birthday. [see photo] She purchased the smaller one in the same design. Fortunately, it matched perfectly with a coat she bought while in Amana of the Amana Colonies.

Stitch n' Sew [207 4th St, www.stitchnsewcottage.com; (319)656-2923; Monday-Saturday, 9am-5pm] was what I would call a Fabric Shop that carried lots of different fabrics for quilt making. I'm not the quilter, but Jill is, and she was not impressed. It tended to cater to country quilt material, and we were looking for reproduction material and batiks.

Willow Creek Quilting & Gifts 418 B Avenue; 319-656-3939; www.willowcreekquilting.com. This shop has over 3,000 bolts of fabric and specializes in homespuns and flannel [which is not my style]. They have good books and patterns for quilts. Have have models made up with kits for sale.

What to buy: In these three stores, you are able to purchase fabrics, quilts, antiques, accessories, items for the home, and unique gift items.

What to pay: Again, we were pleased that the prices were reasonable.

Woodin Wheel Antiques Inside Woodin Wheel Antiques Yoder's antiques, Gifts, & Quilts Stitch 'n Sew Jill's purse I bought her at the Woodin Wheel

Pink Begonia, Village Shoppe, Grandma's Corner: Shopping In Kalona

by deecat Updated Jun 21, 2007

True to our nature, Jill and I went in and out of almost all of the shops in Kalona.

One of the more attractive little shops is called the Pink Begonia. It carries antiques, collectibles, Cottage Decor, Cuddlebug Children's Gifts, Collectible Dolls, art.[See the photograph to see the delightful pink door entry.] 413 B Avenue, 319-656-4550

One of our favorite shops was called Village Shoppe. {two photographs]
    It carried quality items that were beautifully displayed. They feature custom window treatments/ wallcoverings, collectibles, gifts, and P. Buckley Moss Art Gallery. The woman who was working there was most informative and helpful. Of special interest to Jill were the beautifully designed purses, bags, and wallets. 412 B Avenue, 319-656-3853

I found the huge Grandma's Corner a great place for purchasing gifts. 405 B Avenue; 319-656-4536 [two photographs]. I was looking for a small gift for my friend Marilyn in Michigan. I found the perfect gift....stackable boxes. These were unique in that they had removable trays that reminded me of trays in sewing boxes. They came in sets of three, from small to medium to large.
    They specialize in Home and Garden Decor, kitchen items, linens, a Children's Corner, greeting cards, Scrapbook Products, Doll Collections, and Gifts. I was so astounded as to the size of this shop that I inquired about what it used to be. I think the woman said that it was a hardware store at one time. B Avenue downtown Kalona

All-in-all, Jill and I enjoyed our shopping in Kalona because of the variety, friendly personnel, and the unique items.

What to buy: In Kalona, you can find lots of quilts, household items, gifts, collectibles, jewelry, accessories, candies, bakery goods, BUT few clothing stores.

What to pay: Delighted to inform you that the prices were really reasonable%

The Village Shoppe in Kalona Inside The Village Shoppe Grandma's Corner Shop Dee Shopping at Grandma's Corner Shop Pink Begonia Shop

• BLSM's Profile Photo

Quilt Capital of Iowa.

by BLSM Updated Sep 11, 2002

Great Quilt Show and Sale last Fri & Sat in April. Many Amish ladies make quilts & sell them in their homes. Traditional amish quilts are plain colors with no prints. They also make the familiar quilts.

Instant Answers: Kalona

Comments

Kalona Shopping

Reviews and photos of Kalona shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kalona sightseeing.