Mary Hill Travel Guide

Maryhill and the Columbia River
  • Interior of war memorial replica of Stonehengs
    Interior of war memorial replica of...
  • Maryhill Museum, originally the Hill Mansion
    Maryhill Museum, originally the Hill...

Mary Hill Things to Do

• Marilu33's Profile Photo
    The museum building 4 more images

by Marilu33 Written Mar 2, 2013

This was part of our side trip to see the Stonehenge replica. We had heard about the museum from friends. I was pleasantly surprised with this little jewel of a museum. I expected to see some art from local artists and maybe a few other nice paintings from a private collection, nothing much.

To my surprise the main floor was packed with a wealth of European art and royal treasures, belonging originally to Marie, queen of Romania, including her coronation gown and crown, silver, furniture and paintings. My favorite exhibit on the lower floor was a collection of sculpture and sketches by Auguste Rodin. And there is a more to see. Check their home page for a more complete description of offerings, listed below. I also really enjoyed reading about the history of the building, the Hill family, and the history of the collection.

Outside we enjoyed the eclectic mix of sculpture and the wandering peacocks. We ate lunch in the little cafe on the lower floor, food that was fresh, good quality and tasty.

If you visit, be prepared for an art museum that rightly takes itself seriously as a venue for some very worthwhile and delightfully varied and eclectic displays.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Mary Hill

Comments

Mary Hill Travel Guide
Map of Mary Hill