Places to eat in Iowa

Most Viewed Restaurants in Iowa

• deecat's Profile Photo

The Fireside Grill in Kalona, Iowa: Excellent Steak House and Martini Bar

by deecat Updated May 31, 2007

While in Kalona, we originally wanted to eat at The Tuscan Moon; however, it was not open. Thus, we decided to eat at The Fireside Grill Steak House and Martini Bar. We were quite fortunate because it turned out to be just wonderful.

The Fireside Grill is open every day from 10:00 am until 9:00 pm. On Thursday nights, the owners and hosts [Riella and Wes Rich] welcome their guests and present by Eddie Piccard's Band. They play from 6:30-9:00 pm. There is no cover charge.

This is like an old fashioned but hip Supper Club. It is quite large and well appointed. I especially liked the mural on the wall.

They offer appetizers, salads, steak pasta, BBQ ribs, salmon, hot and cold sandwiches, wraps and a child's menu. They have a grand dessert menu which includes gelato, tiramisu, cheesecake, chocolate layer cake, homemade pie, sundaes, and floats.

They also have espresso and lattes, soft drinks, and a full-service bar. During weekends, they offer a musician such as a piano player or a saxaphone player.

Favorite Dish: Jill and I were very pleased with our waiter. He just happened to be from Chicago originally, and he just happened to be the owner's son! What a smile and what a pleasant personality. He made our eating experience even that much better.

Jill and I shared a Chicken Casadilla [we agreed it was the best we had ever tasted!]
    Jill also had a "loaded Potato Soup" in a cup. She loved it, too.

But, the very best part of the meal was, of course, the dessert. Our waiter suggested it to us: Coconut gelato with slivered almonds and chocolate sauce. We were "in heaven"!

Dee and Jill Eating Dessert at The Fireside Grill Jill and our Waiter at The Fireside Grill Food at The Fireside Grill The Fireside Grill Steak House & Martini Bar Mural inside The Fireside Grill
    • Women's Travel

• deecat's Profile Photo

The Boat House Davenport: Right on the Mississippi River in Davenport, IA

by deecat Updated May 31, 2007

BE SURE TO SEE ALL OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS

On our last night in Iowa, we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in Davenport. The owner of the B&B suggested that we have dinner at The Boat House Davenport.

What a great suggestion that turned out to be!

The location alone was spectacular. It is located right on the Mississippi River. We were able to watch boat traffic as we ate.

It's obvious that the locals come here regularly. It was quite full on a Friday night, probably because of the delicious fish that they prepare.

The menu is extensive and includes such appetizers as Crab Cakes, French Fried Lobster, and Thai Chicken to name just a few.

They also offer soups and salads such as Bavarian Steak Soup, Clam Chowder, Grilled Chicken Salad, and Caesar Salad..

The entrees include such items as Prime Rib Au Jus, BBQ Ribs, Mahi Mahi, Catfish Platter, and Chicken Forester [grilled chicken breast topped with cognac mushroom sauce]. Of course, this is only a few of the main courses that are offered.

They have a Feature of the Day, which the waiter/waitress explains. Also they have many Combination Platters with you choosing one land and one sea item. Some choices would be Chicken, Prime Rib, Top Sirloin (1) teamed up with either Catfish, Shrimp, or Crab Legs (1).

Jill and I both liked the fact that they also had a Lighter Fare with sandwiches such as Reuben, Catfish Filet, Salmon Burger, Hamburger. Also offered was Chicken Planks [chicken tenders deep fried in a seasoned breading served with ranch dressing] or Crab Cake, or the Slimmer Plate [Choice of Burger or Chicken on Tomato Slices with Cottage Cheese. Once again, these are just a few of the examples.

Our waitress was friendly, efficient, and helpful.

Favorite Dish: Jill ordered the Catfish Filet Sandwich WITHOUT the bread. She let me try a bite, and it was "out of this world" delicious. She also ordered a House Salad that had garden greens with her choice of dressing [Blue Cheese]. She finished the salad so I assume she enjoyed it.

I ordered a cup of SEVEN LILIES SOUP [seven types of onions topped with a crouton and swiss cheese]. I had never heard of this particular kind of soup, but I soon learned that it is spectacular...subtle, mild, rich in texture, and quite delicious. I also had a salad with Blue Cheese, which I enjoyed very much.

I made sure that I ate a small meal so that I could order dessert! For dessert, I devoured a yummy Hot Fudge Sundae [see photo], and Jill had a Root Beer Float.

All-in-all, we both enjoyed the ambience, the food, and the spectacular scenery, especially the large Paddle Boat that went by.

The Boat House Davenport Fresh Catfish at The Boat House Davenport Rootbeer Float and Hot Fudge Sundae at Boat House Celebration Belle Riverboat

• different every time....

by Zenpuppy2 Written Feb 25, 2007

My wife and I have lived in Des Moines for seven years and we love to eat out. There are so many options in Des Moines that we try to not eat in the same place twice (although we still do) Some of our favorites are El Azteca, Centro, Buzzard Bill's, and Cold Stone Creamery for Ice Cream.

• The Apple Basket: My favorite restaurant

by melissaK Updated Mar 28, 2005

Tucked away in Montezuma (the county seat of Powsheik county) is the local treasure known as the Apple Basket. Run only by locals and only on the weekends, the Apple Basket pulls in a hefty amount of business. It's very traditional and reminds me of eating in Grandma's kitchen.

Favorite Dish: My favorite foods at the Apple Basket in Montezuma are the steak, shrimp, and cheesy potato soup.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Websters Outback Bar in Laurel, Iowa: Mountains of Steaks..

by cochinjew Updated Jun 18, 2003

steaksteaksteaksteaksteaksteaksteak..nothing else of note..
    the wine list was just house wine from some backward vineyard in california and when i requested what was a safe bet.. the giggly blondehaired waitress ....said.. sorry we dont have that but we do have this... she showed us a mogen david concordia wine.. the kind winos buy, cheap wine to get drunk..I told her, young lady life is too short to drink this wine..

Favorite Dish: steaks steaks steaks steaks steaks
    smallest size is 8 oz and the mans size is 28 oz..I was quite sick after ingesting a 8 oz steak with what passed for salad.. few green leaves and olives and other condiments out of a bottle dripping with mayonnaise

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

CAFE DANH: Home cooked Vietnamese Meal

by cochinjew Written Oct 19, 2002

The owners are refugees from the former south Vietnam and hardworking and has made this restaurant a gem of a place to eat. Sioux City has a large vietnamese population and there are two other vietnamese restaurants: Da Kao and Dynasty, both run by less than friendly chinese vietnamese.

Favorite Dish: Bung Ga Xao rice sticks in vermicelli is my favourite dish from here, but over the many visits i have tried almost the entire menu, hu tiu ga xao which arrives a plateful. In addition you could have cafe sua da or cafe sua nong, the vietnamese strong coffee poured over condensed milk, hot or cold

• Ox Yoke Inn: Ox Yoke Inn

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

I'm pretty sure this is where I ate, as there are several German restaurants in this area, all close together! Anyway, if this was the place, it was excellent German food! I very much enjoyed it and would love to return! :)

• Amana Barn: Amana Barn

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

I think this is the other place I ate, which was also exceptionally good for German fare! :) This place was a little nicer in the way of formality, but you'd still be fine coming in with shorts on, as there are plenty of people around like that! :)

• reon80's Profile Photo

Ox Yoke Inn: Ox Yoke Inn

by reon80 Written Aug 26, 2002

This is one of the really fun family-style restaurants located in the Amana colonies, a small German settlement that now makes its living by attracting tourists:) But it is is a really fun setting, very German and old-looking, and has EXCELLENT food!

Favorite Dish: Family Style dinner

• Sanctuary Restaurant, South...

by entguy Written Aug 25, 2002

Sanctuary Restaurant, South Gilbert St., Iowa City
    The Sanctuary is a blessed fixture on the ever-changing landscape of ephemeral Iowa City restaurants. It is subdued, relaxing, yet with highest culinary stands despite a fairly basic menu. It lives up to its name remarkably.

Favorite Dish: Best pizza in the state and a grand selection of several hundred beers to wash it down with

• Nomad_2001's Profile Photo

In Iowa you are sure to find...

by Nomad_2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

In Iowa you are sure to find some good midwestern homestyle cooking. There are some really good cafes and diners around Iowa that offer great meals at an inexpensive price. While there are also the usual American chains, take a chance on a local diner if you see it overflowing with people, it is very likely to be very good.

• meta4r's Profile Photo

Boz Wells: Boz Wells

by meta4r Written Aug 24, 2002

My wife and I had a forty five dollar gift certificate to spend there last night and we managed to spend it all but we were so full we were barely able to get up from the table. It would be possible to eat reasonably there. The nachos looked very good.

Favorite Dish: Too many good things to describe. The 14 ounce ribeye was quite incredible last night. Also tried the raspberry swirl white chocolate cheesecake.
    Guinness on tap

• meta4r's Profile Photo

My hands down favorite is the...

by meta4r Written Aug 24, 2002

My hands down favorite is the Indochine Pavilion in Storm Lake. Excellent food at very reasonable prices.We regularly feed a family of four for fifteen dollars.
    Great atmosphere and authentic food.

Favorite Dish: The buffet is incredible, Any of their coconut milk curries would be an excellent choice. If what you want is not on the buffet they will add it for you.

• shutter_hunt's Profile Photo

When traveling across I-80...

by shutter_hunt Written Aug 24, 2002

When traveling across I-80 look for one of the Iowa Machine Sheds. These Heart of America restaurants offer the quitisential Iowa fare with award winning pork dishes.

Favorite Dish: The stuffed Iowa Chop, a thick pork stuffed with apple raisin stuffing severed with a number of sides family style.

• I guess i'd have to say my...

by alicetoo Updated Aug 24, 2002

I guess i'd have to say my favorite resturaunt in my hometown is Applebee's.They have good food,friendly staff and it's a nice clean,family atmosphere.
    The prices at Applebee's is really reasonable for the food you get.

Favorite Dish: I love their steaks...it's the only time i like steak.It's so tender and flavorful.

Iowa Hotels

7 Reviews - 8 Photos
Bellevue Hotels
11 Reviews - 31 Photos

Instant Answers: Iowa

Comments

Iowa Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Iowa restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Iowa sightseeing.
Map of Iowa