Stores, Malls or Markets in Iowa

Most Viewed Shopping in Iowa

• deecat's Profile Photo

Kalona Bakery: Homemade Quality at...

by deecat Updated Apr 4, 2011

While in Kalona, we went to the Kalona Bakery. While we were there, we checked out their menu. They had freshly made sandwiches and soups.

They are very famous for their donuts, pastries, cookies, cakes, pies, rolls, bread, and homemade noodles. My mother always made such delicious homemade noodles [very thin], and when I saw theirs, I just had to purchase a bag to take home to try.

I learned that Kalona Bakery supplies more than 100 grocery stores throughout Iowa and nearby states with their famous homemade noodles!

What to buy: If you eat lunch there, you may order sub sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, taco wraps, soups salads, and bottled beverages.

If you are a tourist who just wants to take home some delicious food, you are able to find canned meats, pastas, Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls, jams and jellies, and the noodles, of course.

In addition, they sell Kalona mugs and they make up gift boxes.

I've tried the jam that I purchased, and it is excellent.

What to pay: Usually in a tourist area, the prices are very high. Both Jill and I thought that the prices were quite fair.

Eating area in Kalona Bakery Jill at Kaona Bakery
    • Religious Travel

• Jordan Creek Shopping Center: OUR NEW MALL!

by melissaK Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is our brand new mall in West Des Moines. It has a lot to offer with two floors. You can find a bargain or an item to splurge on.

What to buy: Well, Oh I don't know! We just shop for normal things like clothes, shoes, jewelery, accessories, etc., etc.

What to pay: Price depends on what you buy!

• DueSer's Profile Photo

High Amana General Store: Historic Shopping

by DueSer Updated Feb 1, 2009

This old-fashioned general store located in High Amana was built in 1857. Still open today as a general store, you can buy souvenirs as well as something for the road.

Inside, you'll find exactly what you might expect - old, wooden floorboards, punched-tin ceiling, big wooden bins and counters, jars of preserves on shelves behind the counters...you feel as though you just stepped back in time as you walked through the door.

A small selection of items you can buy here are: local crafts, such as lacy snowflake Christmas ornaments, regular store items, such as scissors, pens, etc., and food items, such as candy, and root beer and cream soda brewed and bottled at the Amana Brewery (so creamy and so good!)

What to buy: The local handicrafts can't be beat, especially Christmas ornaments. Some lace, some wood, all totally unique and beautifully made.

What to pay: Everything is reasonably priced.

High Amana General Store

• ArenJo's Profile Photo

Burlington Coat Factory: Burlington Coat Factory in Des Moines

by ArenJo Written Nov 16, 2007

This is one of the best Burlington Coat Factorys I have been to. The prices are cheap, lots of sale items and lots of good products. Lots of Enyce, Sean John, South Pole and other clothing of that sort.

Basket Expressions: Great Gifts and Gourmet Coffees

by deecat Updated Sep 18, 2007

While on our Ladies Getaway Weekend, we drove to Dubuque, Iowa to visit the shops on Bluff Street. It was a Sunday, and most stores did not open until noon, and all the stores were not open. Probably the best store that we visited that Sunday was called
    Basket Expressions. All four of us were able to find items that we purchased, and that is rare.

A mother and daughter own this store [mother Millie Dolter and daughter Jennifer Jennifer Klaas]. It has been open since 1990. Its main purpose is to have a place where customized gifts can be purchased. This is an 11-room Victorian shop.

Inside Basket Expressions is an "in-store Stone Cliff Winery tasting room. This winery is located 7 miles north of Dubuque. The wines that you are able to taste are Cherry, Cranberry, Sweet Concord, White Zinfandel, Cabernet, and Chardonnay. Here you are also able to personalize a bottle of wine with a label that includes a photo or logo with a message. These are good for birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and housewarming.

Basket Expressions is a delight to peruse. If we had more time, we would have spent it here.

What to buy: Here at Basket Expressions, they have candy, dips, preserves, snacks, soups, teas, coffee, flavored coffees [both decaf and regular] and other gourmet foods.

They also specialize in customized baskets where you can select food items, teas, coffees and also candles wine glasses, and wine [with or without personalized labels].

In addition, they offer small items such as beautiful jewelry, small apparel items, luggage tags, and holiday decorative pieces.

Jill purchased luggage tags; Marcia bought gourmet coffee; Mickey purchased gourmet coffee [both decaf and regular]; and I purchased semi-precious stone earrings for my daughter Jill and four different decaf flavored coffees [Turtle Sundae, Almond Amareto, Snickerdoodle, and White Russian]

For the last week, I have sampled all four flavors of coffee, and they are so delicious. Because I like them so much, I plan to order more through their web-site.

What to pay: I paid $11.00 for the earrings.
    I paid $2.85 and $3.40 per 1/4 pound of flavored decaf gourmet coffees.

Gourmet Decaf Flavored Coffee

• deecat's Profile Photo

Heritage Designs Quilting & Needlework Shop: Ultimate Quilt Shop in Amana Colonies

by deecat Updated Jun 18, 2007

Jill Martin the majority of this tip. She was my travel partner on this trip, and she is the quilter who knows the most about the worth of quilt shops.

Heritage Designs Quilting and Needlework Shop in Amana Colonies, Iowa, occupied a large space. There were several rooms of fabrics stored on shelves and in bins. Quilts hung on the walls. I’m not sure how the space was organized, but the staff was helpful in directing us to sections of the rooms and searching for items.

Not surprisingly, the shop reminded me of those we visited in Ohio Amish country with a friendly old-fashioned feeling.

The shop had recently moved to this larger space and was located next to the Information Center in Amana.

What to buy: [Dee] I personally was really impressed with the layout and amount of choices that this quilting shop had to offer. The lighting was wonderful so it was easy to match colors and designs. I purchased a few materials as a basic beginning for the bedroom Queen-sized quilt that Jill is making for me.

I was also very impressed with the two women who answer all of our many questions. [see photo]

What to pay: Typical prices

Heritage Designs Quilting & Needlework Shop The Women Who Helped us in the Quilt Shop Quilts on Display in the Quilt and Needlework Shop

No Chain Stores Here: Wine, Cheese, Jelly, Herbs, Sweets, and Toys

by deecat Updated Jun 4, 2007

When you shop at Amana Colonies, you won't see a "chain store" in sight! Instead, you will discover handcrafted merchandise, specialty shops, boutique fashions, quality foods/beverages, and unique toys.

As Jill and I wander the streets of Amana, we took our time and enjoyed this one-of-a-kind type of shopping.

I cannot talk about all of the shops, but in this tip, I will concentrate on the ones that I photographed and where we made some purchases.

Photographs:

1. Wine, Cheese, and Jelly House . I purchased delicious jams here. We are busy eating them now..

2. The beautiful stone building that houses The Herb Lady that specializes in all kinds of herbs. When you walk into the store, your senses are tantalized with the mixture of aromas.
    I was looking for some biGreek herbsbi, which I enjoy using when I am cooking the Rainbow Trout that my husband Allan catches when he goes on his twice annual fishing trips to Missouri. I was so pleased that the store carried the particular spice that I wanted.

3. The Fudge Factory is another store that awakens your senses. You can watch them making the fudge, other candies, and caramel apples; you can smell the delicious aromas that abound; you can, best of all, taste the sweetness [in my case, chocolate] of the homemade treats.

What to buy: 4. The Little Red Wagon is a unique toy store for adults as well as children. It has old-fashioned games,toys, and puzzles. We had fun remembering our own childhood and wishing that today's toys could be as simple yet educational.

5. The Coffee/tea/pastries Shop is where I had a most delicious cold chocolate drink that was quite satisfying on this warm spring afternoon.

Of course, we visited many more shops and even purchased items from other places [some will be individual tips], but no matter where you look or walk, you will enjoy going in and out of the quaint special shops here in Amana.

What to pay: We found the prices to be surprisingly affordable and in keeping with specialty shops

Wine, Cheese, and Jelly House in Amana The Herb Lady in Amana The Fudge Factory in Amana Little Red Wagon Toy Store in Amana The Coffee/Tea Shop in Amana

Yana's Ladies Boutique: Jill's Coat Purchase

by deecat Written Jun 4, 2007

It's almost a tradition that whenever Jill goes on a trip, she automatically searches for a new jacket [I think she has a fetish for jackets, which is a nice fetish to have!]

When we were in Amana, one of the seven Amana Colonies, we went inside a store called Yana's Ladies Boutique. It is a new shop in Amana and they advertise, "Classy Clothing & Accessories". That is not false advertising either. Some of the most beautiful items that we saw during our eight-day trip were found in Yana's.

We saw several jackets, and, of course, Jill tried them on. They were beautiful, but the fit for Jill was not so great. Then the helpful young woman in the shop pointed out another longer jacket. We both loved the green color and design, but Jill was even more delighted when the woman told her that it was a reversible jacket! The minute she tried it on, she knew that it was the "one".

Jill tries to purchase items that are made in America so when we looked at the tag, and it said those magic words, she was sold. The girl who designed the coat is new to the trade, and we both agreed that she is quite talented.

What to buy: In Yana's Ladies Boutique, you will find slacks, tops, dresses, scarves, coats, jackets, belts, hats, jewelry, and other accessories. You certainly will never find these items in the typical chain stores in the "dime a dozen malls throughout America"!

What to pay: This was a designer Coat made in America and the Price Reflected the Quality and Artistic Value of the Product [expensive]

Yana's Ladies Boutique in Amana Jill Happy About her Purchase at Yana's Jill Paying For Purchase of Her Coat at Yana's Jill Modeling her Coat from Yana's

The Book Worm Books & Things: Great Bookstore in Bellevue, Iowa

by deecat Updated Jun 2, 2007

Be sure to check out all the photographs!

The Book Worm Books & Things Store is quite unique. Like other bookstores, they have a variety of books {fiction, non-fiction, mystery, cooking, historical, authobiographies, children's books] and they also have "experienced" books that are still in great shape and much less expensive.

They have a very special "Historical to the Hysterical" section about the Bellevue War, ghost of the Mississippi River and more. They claim to have the most extensive collection of Bellevue, Iowa, and Mississippi River history books in the Midwest.

What to buy: They also sell antiques and collectibles. I noticed that they have a huge selection of hand painted signs, some of which are quite humorous. In addition, they have a wide selection of scented candles. They also sell greeting cards by Leanin' Tree and Northern Exposure. I also saw neckwraps, memory stones, handmade craft items, humanity bracelets to name a few items. Some of their offerings are hand crafted by local artisans.

What to pay: Prices were quite reasonable. Jill purchased a mystery that she had been wanting to read.

Bookworm Bookstore in Bellevue Leading Into the Store:  Mosaic entrance Inside The Book Worm

Gotta Have It: Jill Found the Perfect Hat at

by deecat Updated May 30, 2007

When Jill and I were shopping at Cable Car Square, she kept saying that she really needed a new hat; one that was capable of keeping sun off of her face, but it also had to be fashionable. We had looked in several places when visiting Galena, Illinois, but had not found one that suited her.

Well, that all changed when we walked into the shop called "Gotta Have It"! I asked the owner Julie Berstler if they had hats, and she said, "we really don't stock too many hats". I just happened to look up and saw a set of stairs with items placed on each step in a lovely manner. There were three hats. So, I pointed that out to Jill. She looked at all three, tried them on, and selected a darling Red one. {See photograph #3}

What to buy: Gotta Have It carries Ladies clothing, jewelry, and accessories.

It is open:
    Monday through Friday from 10am-5:30pm
    Saturday from 10am-5pm
    Sunday from 11am-3pm.

What to pay: Jill did not tell me what she paid for her hat; however, she said that it was quite reasonable. The shop carries Ladies Clothing, Jewelry, and Accessories. The prices, I felt, were typical of small, independent shops...expensive but of high quality.

Jill on Steps of Gotta Have It Clothing Store Inside Gotta Have It Shop Jill in her Red Hat from

• deecat's Profile Photo

Pixie Stix: The Place For Grandmothers to Shop!

by deecat Written May 30, 2007

Open:
    Monday-Saturday
    10:00 am to 5:00 pm

Sunday:
    12:00 pm-5:00 pm

Pixie Stix is an adorable shop for children's toys, accesories, Games, collectibles, and Doll Adoptions. One of the cutest things we saw while in the shop was an actual nursery viewing room as is found in hospitals. The room was filled with baby dolls in their beds all in a row. I just had to take a photograph.

Most of the toys are quite educational and well made. They are especially big on letting children actually participate in the making of toys such as dolls and teddy bears.

Pixie Stix is the perfect place [especially for grandmothers] to shop for children.

What to buy: I purchased a wooden 'paper doll' toy. It is like the usual paper doll with clothes that you can change; however, it is made of wood.

I also purchased ribbons attached to a hair barrette in various colors. When I arrived home from my 8-day trip, I took care of Sabrina Dee for two days so she received both gifts immediately. She really enjoyed her wooden paper doll. My daughter Jill really appreciated the bows for her hair.

Photographs:
    1. Signage of Pixie Stix
    2. Baby Nursery Inside Pixie Stix
    3. Deecat receiving her purchases inside Pixie Stix

What to pay: The day that Jill and I were at Pixie Stix, they were having a 20% off everything in the store in honor of Dubuque Fest. The Wooden paper doll was originally only $4.99 minus 20% [what a deal!]

The ribbon bows on barrettes were each $3.25 minus the 20%.

Darling Sign for Pixie Stix Children's Store Make Believe Nursery at Pixie Stix Receiving My Purchases at Pixie Stix

• deecat's Profile Photo

Willows: Unique Gifts are Found at...

by deecat Written May 30, 2007

While visiting Cable Car Square, we stopped in at an architectural beauty called Willows. They feature antiques, home decor and florals. The thing that Jill and I enjoyed about Willows is the unique, one-of-a-kind gifts on display. There were several rooms downstairs and upstairs, but they were not so jam-packed that you could not see the displays as in some of the other stores.

This shop was in one side of a duplex. We just happed to meet a woman shopper who said that as a child she lived on the other side of the duplex. She was thrilled that the shop-owner had kept it in the proper time period. The wood floors were beautiful as were the other wood accents.

What to buy: Jill purchased a beautiful bag that folded down into about a 12" square, but when it was unfolded, it made a gorgeous bag for shopping, traveling, or to use as a purse.

What to pay: The prices were reasonable for such quality. Jill only paid $14.95 for her bag.

Signage for Willows Owner of the Willows Shop Inside the Willows Shop

• reon80's Profile Photo

Coral Ridge Mall: Biggest Mall In Iowa!

by reon80 Written Dec 11, 2003

This is the largest mall in Iowa! Okay, so maybe that's not a huge distinction in the grand scheme of things, but trust me, it's the best you'll do in all of Iowa. This mall has loads of great stores (my favorites, Old Navy and Rue 21) as well as a movie theatre, a Target and Best Buy attached, a huge food court, and a fun ice skating rink (indoors). It's an entire day of fun for your typical Iowan;)

Iowa Hotels

7 Reviews - 8 Photos
Bellevue Hotels
11 Reviews - 31 Photos

Instant Answers: Iowa

Comments

Iowa Shopping

Reviews and photos of Iowa shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Iowa sightseeing.
Map of Iowa