This was a fight between John Brown, free slave promoter and Henry Pate, pro slave advocate. IN May 1856, Pate had burned presses in Lawrence, so Brown retaliated and Pate lost 6 men in a fight. This went back and forth for years. A sign designating the battle is just a roadside pulloff and green park, but the actual battle is down the side road. This is a link to show the battle scene.
AND the location on this link
This is a rail line from about 1870's, when the territory was thriving and needed to transport goods. Today the line at the depot runs for tours, I think on weekends only. This depot is called Santa Fe, but really Midland RR ran the operation. Grain silos are next to the lines now for movement of goods to markets. A volunteer group operate the rail line now. In summer they go form Baldwin City to around Olathe-20 miles. Fare is $10. Times are sometime Thursday and others SAt and Sunday for one run, and during the Maple Festival in October. Some old artifacts are on the grounds around the building.
This once was a gas station, or antique store and farm and now all are closed. The old gas pumps and Philips sign are worth a drive to see it. Located north of Baldwin City about 5 miles on Hwy 1066 after Hwy 56 heading from south. The drive into the lot is like going back 50 years in time
There is the main museum called Old Castle Museum. Next to it is the Palmyra Post Office (replica rebuild) and on the other side is Kibbee cabin that depicts living in the era of mid 1800's. All are supposed to be open, but it seems like that is not always case. General times are 10-5 Tues-Sat, but maybe closed October through April. The Castle museum holds some old artifacts from the 1800 period, and was built in 1857. It was the first building to hold classes, and the first university in the State in 1858. Methodist ministers started the college in Palmyra (now known as Baldwin City). The Post Office was used in 1857-62. Both that building and Kibbee cabin are replicas of the originals.
The library has 70,000 books collection on one side. The other side is the Quayle Bible collection of 700 volumes that were collected by Rev Quayle over the years. The oldest is dated 2,000BCE that are clay/stone tablets. The sanctuary shown is in the library and very quaint/
Many of these buildings are from the 1860-80's when the campus expanded. Not much has changed since; adding some newer, but not many. Most are built of limestone due to the ease in finding in proximity to this area. Some is rough fronts and others are hewn and shaved for flat vertical fronts. A lot of the campus buildings date back form the inception in 1858, and added since then. Case Hall was completed in 1904, and is the library today. Claire Osborn chapel was moved from England in 1996, and the chapel is form 1864. R.R. Osborn of a local city donated $1 million to have this chapel moved to the campus.
There are 60 historic homes in the town. They are from Victorian style to Greek and other circa 1930's with large porches. The town main street has most buildings form the 1930-50's era; brick and solid
The town has a nice grid pattern, and not hard to maneuver around. The main thrust of the town, other than its main street is the Baker University campus, adjacent to the town itself. The town has close to 4,000 residents and there are around 1,000 students on campus. It was founded in 1870, and Baker is Kansas' oldest university from 1858, that was established by Methodist priests.
Parmenter Hall is the most prominent building on the campus of Baker University. This 1871 building is on the National List of Historic Places. It contains an art gallery that is open to the public. President Abraham Lincoln contributed $100 toward its construction.
If the diesel engines are a little bit on the modern side, at least the coach cars are somewhat historical, dating back to the 1930s. Not fancy, not air conditioned, just old coach cars, an adventure for the young and nostalgia for the old(er). Next stop: Nowhere.
A trip on the Midland Railway has become a favorite family outing for kids and their grandparents.
Operated by the Midland Railway Historical Association. Sad by true, most passenger travel by railway is now history in the USA.
The association procures and restores railway artifacts, then operates them as a historic railway demonstration. Train rides are available, and for many of America's younger citizens, this is the only kind of rail trip they have ever experienced. Trains leave the depot at Baldwin en route to the historic train station at Ottawa, Kansas. When I rode the train in the fall of 2003, the train only went to Nowhere, Kansas, and back.
Constructed in 1864, this Gothic Revival Chapel was home to the Methodist congregation of Sproxton, England until 1988. Baker University later acquired the chapel, had it dismantled and shipped to Baldwin City, where it was reassembled. The Osborn Chapel was dedicated in 1995 by Lady Margaret Thatcher, whose family had been part of the Sproxton congregation.
This old post office was moved to its present location on the campus at Baker University from the site of the disappeared town of Palmyra. From 1857 to 1862, the post office/grocery store served travelers on the Santa Fe Trail, as well as the citizens of Palmyra.
On the grounds of Baker university about a block or two from the main street of Baldwin City there are some historic buildings. The small white building here is an old post office and general store. On day of festival we saw a demonstration here about broom making.
View shows the simple, but attractive, interior of the chapel. The chapel was named in honor of a major contributor in the efforts to bring the church to Baldwin City.
A group of Methodist preachers gathered in the Kibbee Cabin to form Baker University. Although this cabin is a replica, the floor and many of the furnishings are from the original cabin.