Baxter Springs Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by basstbn

Most Recent Restaurants in Baxter Springs

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Cafe on the Route: Did Jesse James Rob a Bank at This Location?

by basstbn Updated Feb 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I have never eaten at the cafe. I know a number of people who have, and all gave good reports.

I wanted to add this Cafe on the Route, so that visitors will know there is someplace to eat in town. In addition, I thought the wall mural itself to be worth viewing.

The Jesse James part? Good question. It is known that a bank occupied this corner in 1876, but whether or not the James gang held it up is a matter of conjecture. Scattered across the midwest are numerous towns whose folklore includes an encounter with the James Gang - more banks than these famous outlaws could have possibly robbed.

In 2007, Cafe on the Route was visited by Food Network star, Guy Fieri, for a segment of his hit show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Favorite Dish: Again - not on my experience, but Marci Penner's reports on the apple-smoked salmon, the nut-crusted catfish, and strawberry barbecued pork ribs make me wish for another opportunity to give this place a try.

• Baxter Springs Smokehouse: Great BBQ

by bigec Written May 12, 2006

Saw this trailer parked in the Marvin's parking lot and decided to give the food a try. I ordered the Brisket Sandwich and it was very good. The only problem I encountered was that the trailer was not there one time when I was craving some BBQ. Hopefully I will catch them some other time

Favorite Dish: the Brisket was very good

Instant Answers: Baxter Springs

Comments

Baxter Springs Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Baxter Springs restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Baxter Springs sightseeing.

View all Baxter Springs hotels