In spite of the promises made by the Americans, the Indians were wary of what would happen with Indian children going to the school located here. So they sent only the abandoned and parent less ones to the school. Normally there were about 20-30 to attend at one time. The whole concept only lasted about 20 years and was the idea of Mr. Huffaker in around 1850. He also had the mission under his control in Shawnee Mission Ks. The Indians attended, but mostly resisted the ways of the Americans initially. Eventually they got adapted and relied on Government handouts. At the same time their land was being taken away with broken treaties and the area around Council Grove was shrunk down to next to nothing.
Carl Huffaker sold the home and grounds to a society in 1952 for $23,500. The rebuilt home on site is one of 138 built in 1861 for the Indians at a cost of $33,000.
This cave was a place that Father Francisco stayed after coming to the US from Novaro Italy. He lost the love of his life and then became celibate. What a shame, but he must have liked it. He was here in some years around 1850's and then moved on to Las Vegas New Mexico. He lived in a cave there too. Over 35 years he was in in caves. It is said he did perform miracles and the fame caused problems, eventually his death in 1869
Of great ornate showing is the great building of the Government structure for the County. This, I believe the Lynn County Courthouse-due to the weighing of the hand held scales in the lady of Midwest for small towns.
There are a number of old and ornate buildings that deserve notice along the tour route. They do not all have a lot of history described here, but of note are used today and well as a century or more ago.
This is now a restaurant that once was for commerce and also feeding the settlers coming through town. Seth Hayes, an heir of Daniel Boone built this facility in 1857 and kept it going for years. It has been a mail distribution, court, church, and all along a restaurant. Events were held in the upstairs for groups. Tours are allowed due to it being an historic site.
He was the main stay for the development of the community. Seth had commerce and then set up retail shops on the mains street. This home is one block off the main street and now under construction for the area to expand the school in town. In normal times it is open for tours with the local society that has mostly weekend times to view.
This is the icon of the community and it still has the grand style and elegance from 1892, when first under construction. The building was in two parts, with the first being the date noted, and second was from 1902. The style is celled eclectic and due to the Romanesque style along with the Byzantine spires on to and surrounding the building. The ceiling is of tin motif from that era in early 1900's. Due to the historic designation, people are allowed for a tour in the building, and employees are proud to show it off.
This site in the middle of town was once a famed bank. It has experienced fire o the exterior in 1974 and inside 1978, but it is said the interior is restored to condition of late 1800's. The place did not seem to be open for tours or seeing, and was for rent. The bank building was first form 1887 and a monument to anchor the mid section of the downtown. It is called Victorian Italianate style.
This was a home that became a retail store for settlers heading west. This really was the last chance for them to buy goods until they reached Santa Fe-many-like 1,000 miles away. Tom Hill built the home in 1857 and lived there as well as offered goods to sell to settlers and Indians. It was a trading post, post office and polling places over the years.
This home has a lot of steeped history being built in 1861 by Abraham Rawlinson, it was the last house to pass for the settler movement going west. The home was purchased by William Terwilliger in 1870, who was a local entrepreneur in freight and livery. It had 80 acres at one time, and later became a service station in 1927 and the adjacent grounds a campground called Maple Camp. It was due to be demolished in 1994 until a local group purchased the home from the family members. The interior has some modifications form the original, but still does show the old type facility like it may have existed in late 1800's.
It is now a restaurant and the food was good. They have a downstairs and upstairs to partake the menu.
Madonna of the Trail, a memorial to the pioneer mothers of the covered wagon days. This is one of twelve such monuments placed across the country along the National Old Trails Highway by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Any visit to Council Grove should start at the Kaw Indian Mission. You can get maps there and talk to the nice lady who works inside. She gave me lots of help. The mission is free but they accept donations for the up keep of the museum.
This depot was first built in 1869. It was destroyed by fire in 1894 and rebuilt to that period. Along with that is a jail that depicts where felons were housed until early 1900's on that site.
This is a 3500 acre lake that is not used very much and seems to be a spot for serenity and peacefulness. Camping in allowed for a small fee and boating and docking is set up for various areas.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this bank was built in 1887. The lobby has been restored.