Hillsboro Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Off The Beaten Path

Hillsboro Things to Do

by brdwtchr Written Oct 4, 2002

I consider the Pioneer Mennonite Adobe House Museum a MUST SEE when you are in Hillsboro. The first settlers to this area were Mennonite immigrants from Russia, Germany, and the Netherlands. At the museum you can learn about how they lived and their daily lives.
    There is a one room school, the Friesen Dutch Mill (photo), a large home made of adobe, and a small park.

Hillsboro Hotels

Hillsboro Off The Beaten Path

by brdwtchr Written Oct 4, 2002

The Historic Victorian Schaeffler House is open for tours on Sundays from 2-4 pm or by appointment. We did not have an appointment so we looked at it from out side. For more information call 620-947-3775.

by brdwtchr Written Oct 4, 2002

This stone marks the spot a mile and a half South of Hillsboro where the Gnadenau village was established in 1874. At top of the stone is a sketch of how the village looked. People lived in a-frame grass homes till they could build one of adobe. This is what it says on the stone...
    'Elder Wiebe and his congregation leaders purchased teams and wagons at Peabody, site of the nearest rail station. From there they drove 14 miles Northwest. A half a day's travel through uncharted and uninhabited lands filled with tall prairie grass with no sign of trail or road. Barren praire lay in every direction as far as the eye could see. Not a sound could be heard except the chirp of crickets and grass hoppers and the mournful whistling of the wind through the prairie. So we rode through the deep grass to the little stake that marked the spot I had chosen. When we reached the spot I stopped. My wife asked me, 'Why do you stop.' I said, 'We are to live here.' Then she began to weep.'

• Hillsboro Hotels

1 Hotels in Hillsboro

14 Reviews and Opinions

Instant Answers: Hillsboro

Comments

Hillsboro Travel Guide
Map of Hillsboro