Kansas City Restaurants

• Restaurants
    Plenty of parking
    by Dester
  • I got it to go, but at $5.99 it's one good lunch!
    I got it to go, but at $5.99 it's one...

Most Recent Restaurants in Kansas City

• Maria250's Profile Photo

Abuelo's: Mexican Restaurant

by Maria250 Updated Aug 2, 2011

Abuelo's

Food was absolutely fresh and good. I've had a wonderful tasting salad with very tender turkey meat. Mineralwater. Waitresses are very nice and attentive. But the restaurant was very crowded, pretty noisy and rather when it comes to dining out, uncomfortable like any other over sized buildings. Still it's a nice restaurant when going out with a big bunch of folks.

Panera Bread: Staple food

by Restless-in-kl Written Dec 1, 2007

This is a bakery cafe that specialises in bread. Definitely not for those on a non-carbo diet! I can't resist bread here as they are made in so many different ways which you usually can't find in Asia.

We had lunch here and I was glad to see that they provide an option where you can order 1/2 a sandwich and 1/2 a salad or soup which is great as their serving portions are huge (typical American size). It's a good place for lunch especially the one at Oak Park Mall which has a garden dining area.

Favorite Dish: Had 1/2 Portobello and Mozarella hot panini and 1/2 Fuji Apple Chicken Salad. They were pretty good and filling!

Noodles & Co: Long live noodles

by Restless-in-kl Written Dec 1, 2007

It's a nice change to see a restaurant that specialises in noodles. After all, there are too many pizza, burgers, sandwich joints around.

Noodles & Co has a menu of Asian, Mediterranean and American noodles. On top of that, you can to choose your size : Regular, Small, and Trio which is great for an Asian girl with a smaller appetite. And if noodles alone does not satisfy, you can combine with a salad or soup or both!

Favorite Dish: I had the Asian noodle called Indonesian Peanut Saute which was surprisingly good. I like the peanut sauce and the fact that it comes with flat noodles (miniature fettucine). It says spicy on the menu but for me, it's still not spicy enough :-)

This was a rare occasion where I could finish everything on my plate since it comes in a Small size.

Jack Stack Barbeque: Land of BBQ ribs

Jack Stack BBQ

BBQ ribs are big in Kansas City. And Jack Stack Barbeque claims to be world class. In fact, you can even order it online and have it shipped anywhere in the US. This is my family favourite BBQ restaurant so being a baby back ribs fan, I was excited to go there especially when there is usually a 30 min wait (at least) to get a table.

Back home in KL, I have my favourite ribs place and of course I would benchmark Jack Stack to it. Unfortunately, I was not to my liking. In fact, Chili's ribs in KC was better in my opinion.

So my seach for the truly best baby back ribs (one that can beat Chili's) in the US continues.

Favorite Dish: Baby back ribs

• kcnative's Profile Photo

LC's BBQ: !st review on BBQ

by kcnative Written Sep 12, 2007

There is alot of BBQ in KC. Some have big marketing budgets and some spend the money on qaulity. This is a VERY small location in KC off of 47th street, east of the plaza about 5 mins.
    Blue ribbon winning sauce. Also this location was featured on Bobby Flay Grilling/Food Channel. No doubt my best pick in KC for taste ! Atmosphere is not alot, but taste is unbeatable!!

Favorite Dish: Home made sausage by far !!!

• jackofspades's Profile Photo

Kaiyo Restaurant: Good Sushi in KC

by jackofspades Written Apr 25, 2007

There's many sushi place in KC, but most of them are really bad. Some I've heard had people getting sick from eating there. Kaiyo is different. It tastes good, and the sushi or sashimi combo is a good deal. The owner is the sushi chef and he's very nice as well.

Favorite Dish: sushi/sashimi combo

• jackofspades's Profile Photo

Lucky Wok: Best Authentic Chinese in Kansas City Area

by jackofspades Written Apr 25, 2007

It's hard to find authentic Chinese food. No, General Tso's Chicken or Sweet & Sour Chicken is not considered authentica Chinese food. :) This restaurant is small, but the food is delicious.

Favorite Dish: Try their Steamed Flounder. I can finish a whole medium fish by myself.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Earl Quick's Bar-B-Q: Neighborhood barbecue joint

by basstbn Written Mar 18, 2006

For better than ten years, maybe even twelve, I worked at a company located not far from Earl Quick's Bar-B-Q, and I made the short trip there for lunch many, many times. Not just because it was close. The barbecue was excellent, and it was a fun place to go, as servers and cooks made you feel welcome and at home. I haven't eaten here in quite some time, but only because it is so far away from my normal travels. Must make it a point to go back!

Favorite Dish: Most frequently, I ordered the smoked turkey on a bun sandwich. I loved their sweet and smokey sauce, and the the thick potato fries that went with it. Another favorite was their chili, served without beans. It's so thick, the spoon stands up in it. I've also enjoyed their ribs, too, and recommend the special on Wednesday - $9.99 for a full slab.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Sophie's Deli: Polish Deli

by basstbn Written Mar 17, 2006

Don't let the exterior deceive you... it's good.

Sophie's has been a KCK landmark for decades, now being operated by the daughters of the original owner, Betty Kolenda. I must confess that I was expecting a quaint little place with some old world, Polish charm, not a non-descript Butler Building. The interior had more charm, but was nothing special. When I looked at the menu, I saw only one real Polish offering. Think I'm getting ready to dump on this place? Not at all. My food was terrific, if just a little over-priced for its location, and the gal who waited on me was really quite pleasant. I was told that Tuesday is the day for Polish specialties like pierogies and golambki, so I'll keep that in mind.

Sophie's is closed on Saturday and Sunday, open weekdays from 7 to 2:30.

Favorite Dish: Polish sausage and kraut sandwich. This was without doubt the leanest, tastiest kielbasa I have ever eaten. I asked my server if this was locally made, and she affirmed that it was, at Krizman's - just around the corner a bit. (See my separate entry for Krizman's, under Shopping Tips.)

Even though I was well satisfied with the amount of food, I noticed that they sold povitica by the slice, so ordered a single slice, warmed with butter. Oh, my. Sinfully good. Povitica is a kind of Polish nut bread, but just saying that doesn't do it justice. You have to try it.

• yoyosh's Profile Photo

Oklahoma Joe's: Best BBQ in KC...l& located inside a gas station!!

by yoyosh Written Mar 14, 2006

I am in Kansas City frequently for work, and have been to Herford House and Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ multiple times, and they are both GREAT. But a client told me that the REAL local favorite is called "Oklahoma Joe's", and it's definately my favorite. The catch....Oklahoma Joe's is located in a GAS STATION! The restaurant is in the suburbs, I think it'd be considered Overland Park or Mission, KS. Just find it and check it out, I love BBQ and could not have been more impressed. It's low key (how could it not be, its in a gas station), and set up like a fast food restaurant, nothing fancy at all. Reasonably priced and nice sized portions, you will be more than satisfied. I highly reccomend Oklahoma Joe's for anyone who likes BBQ chicken or ribs.

Favorite Dish: I loved the BBQ chicken, but am eager to go back and try the ribs, my friend got them and they looked and smelled amazing.

• Business Travel

Famous Dave's Barbeque: Famous Dave's Barbeque

by Jewelslover Written Jun 5, 2005
    Famous Dave's BBQ

Famous Dave's has great barbeque in a fun and rustic environment. They serve ribs, chicken, salads, brisket, pork, catfish, sandwiches and burgers.

Try the All American BBQ Feast: A Full Slab of Spareribs, A Whole Chicken, ½ pound of either Beef Brisket or Chopped Pork, Coleslaw, Famous Fries, Wilbur Beans, four Corn Bread Muffins and four Corn-on-the-Cob. This serves four. There is also a half portion for two.

Favorite Dish: I really like the BBQ Chicken. You get a half chicken smothered in yummy BBQ sauce with fries and corn on the cob.

The BBQ brisket is great too!

Check out the website for full menu.

W. J. McBride's Irish Pub: Check Out This Irish Pub

by Jewelslover Written Jun 5, 2005

W.J. McBrides

Nice restaurant. Has only been open a year or so. There are tables outside in the front and back which is nice for summer months. The food is good, but it is a bit pricey. They have a brunch buffet on Sunday.

Favorite Dish: Check out the KC Restaurant Guide for McBrides menu:

Cheeseburger in Paradise: Spend a Night in the Tropics

by Jewelslover Written May 1, 2005

Cheeseburger in Paradise

If you're looking for a festive, loud, spirited bar & grill this is the place for you! You'll feel like you've just walked into the Bahamas right here in Kansas. The bar area is like a big tiki bar, and even has outdoor tables on the patio. They have live music several nights a week.

The menu is primarily burgers and sandwiches and both are quite good. I give it an A+ for atmosphere and food. The daquari's are quite good as well!

Check out their party & music schedule.

Favorite Dish: Loved the Strawberry Daquari's and burgers!

• Manny's...Have a craving for...

by Libertybelle Written Aug 26, 2002

Manny's...Have a craving for Mexican Food? Visit this fantastic resteraunt with authentic Mexican food.
    Most weekend nights, Manny's features a strolling Mariachi band and always has great authentic food.

Favorite Dish: Love the chimichanga!! Not the most health conscious item as it's deep fried, but YUM!

• Nomad_2001's Profile Photo

You have to keep your eyes...

by Nomad_2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

You have to keep your eyes open to find the best restaurants. If you come across a restaurant that is absolutely packed, even if it has a modest and unassuming name like Joe's Diner, then go for it. You will probably LOVE it. I don't specifically recall the places we ate (since this was such a long time ago), but we had some good food. There is a lot of great barbecue here too, so definitely try some Kansas City barbecue. Lately I have been pleased by some of the suggestions on the Food Network, so it may not be a bad idea to watch a show every now and then (if it is available for you) to see what they may feature on Kansas City.

Instant Answers: Kansas City

Comments

Kansas City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kansas City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kansas City sightseeing.