Manhattan Restaurants

Front of the restaurant
    by BruceDunning
    Original wood beam supports and frame
    by BruceDunning
    Clapboard walls of scrap woods

Most Recent Restaurants in Manhattan

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Rusty's Last Chance: A right of passage...don't miss the boat!

by aphrodyte Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outside of Rusty's on a late afternoon.

Pub food...is pub food! So go for the BEER!

During the summer season and in the daylight hours, Rusty's is a run of the mill saloon that serves up a decent helping of American bar food (burgers/fries/rib tips/etc.) that won't stress the wallet. Great for anyone on a budget, a big appetite, and a thirsty palate. There are daily specials aplenty.

Now...when the college kids come back...that's a whole different kettle of fish!
    It's not unheard of to see the front patio, the main bar and dance floor, the back patio, and back bar PACKED! (Especially after K-State football game.) Don't bother getting food at this time. Just drink up!

The dance floor is not very big, but they have the music piped everywhere. The music is 80s to current top 40 stuff and you can make requests. The atmosphere is like a big block party.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is whatever Specials they've got going...yeah...it's that good. (Especially with some alcohol!)

• Singles

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Hayes Restaurant: Head south down Hwy 177 for old time meal

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 14, 2009

Front of the restaurant

The meal was served very well and the employees try hard to please the customer. They have salads that range form $7-10, with the higher end being special meat with the salads base. Chicken fried steak is $8.15 and pan fried chicken $7.75, for lunches. That comes was a full meal with vegetables.
    The history is one reason to come here. It is very well preserved inside and on the National Historic Record, and they allow you to wander around down and upstairs. Seth Hayes first started a place to eat in 1831, and that later evolved into a type dance hall/theater. Later in 1857, he set up the restaurant of today, and the whole inside remains intact with old wood ceilings, and scraps for walls.

Favorite Dish: The fried chicken was great and crispy. Along with that came mashed potato, and gravy, vegetable and roll.

The Pub: Great food - great prices

by AcornMan Written Jul 20, 2009

The Pub has an Irish theme, and although it definitely serves some traditional Irish fare (such as very good bangers and mash), it also offers plenty of other options. The food is great, the service has always been top notch, and the prices are reasonable - lower than you would probably expect. I've never had a bad experience there and I highly recommend it.

• Applebees: Will go again

by Zipper Written Aug 22, 2008

They had some computer problems and prepared a wrong dish. But manager came over and explained the situation and apologized and told me that I will have to wait a little bit longer till they prepare my dish. They also took it off the bill. I was really satisfied the way they handled the situation instead of lying to me and say something like they are preparing it from the scratch and that's why it's taking this long.
    Hooray for honesty .............

Favorite Dish: Mini Burgers and steak

• Happy Valley Chinese Restaurant: It's awful. Don't go there

by Zipper Written Aug 4, 2008

We ordered HotPot (which is basically a boiling pot filled with a soup and you get raw meat that you can dip in to it and cook) and all the meat we received are old big chunks of ice. They must have been in the freezer forever. HotPot is like a buffet, you can get unlimited meat, rice and Noodle.
    Also the serving staff was rude. Before even beginning the meal she told us not to waste food or we will be charged extra. Now don't get me wrong, I don't like to waste food, but saying something like that to a customer is rude.
    From which I have following questions
    - It's a buffet where we pay $14 for unlimited food
    - What's the criteria for deciding if the food is wasted or not?
    - Who will decide that?

Also there is a mandatory tip of 20% that they add to the bill regardless of the bad service you receive.

Don't ever go there

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

So Long Saloon: The Best Burgers in Aggieville?

by yooperprof Written Sep 8, 2006

meet the grads and undergrads

I met my friend Natasha for lunch at the So Long Saloon, which has the reputation of having the best burgers and fries in Manhattan. I'll to come back to verify - I had a chicken salad croissant that was very good. Good collegiate vibe here.

4 Olives Wine Bar: 4 Olives Wine Bar

by AcornMan Written Jul 22, 2006

It's difficult to pigeon-hole 4 Olives. With its enormous wine list, it is certainly a wine bar as the name advertises. But it also has the most extensive list of cheeses I've ever seen in a restaurant. Add to that the impressive list of cocktails and the full menu of food it serves, and it has a lot to offer. Be forewarned however: This place is VERY expensive. I'm perfectly willing to pay for good food, but 4 Olives has small portions with prices so high that I think they are disproportional. After all, this is Manhattan, Kansas, not Chicago, Boston, or New York, where the price of rent alone would drive up prices. You'll be hard pressed to get out of 4 Olives without spending $60 for two people, and since the expensive entrees don't even include salads, it could easily be much more. The wine prices also seemed inflated. My wife and I both enjoyed our meals, but the combination of small portions and extremelly high prices prompted me to give just a three-star rating. If I were rating only the food quality and nothing else, I would probably give it four stars. If money is no issue and you don't mind dropping about $100-$130 for two people, you could have a fantastic meal here, but to me that is an absurd amount of money to spend for a meal anywhere in Kansas, especially for a place located in an old strip mall. There must be enough of a demand for a place like this in Manhattan though, because it was full when we went, and most diners had reservations.

Coco Bolo's: Coco Bolo's

by AcornMan Written Jun 6, 2006

It's difficult to describe what kind of food Coco Bolo's serves, except that it's all terrific. Much of the menu is inspired by Mediterranean, Tex-Mex, and Italian, with other influences thrown in as well. The only down side to eating there (other than the long wait often facing would-be diners) is that it's more expensive than most other places in the area, but it's well worth it. I've never had a bad meal there.

Hillside Cafe: Hillside Cafe

by AcornMan Written Jun 6, 2006

Hillside Cafe boasts about a long history in the Manhattan area, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it has managed to last that long. There's very little that's authentic about the food there. It is rather bland, and the menu is quite limited. Half the menu is burgers and the like, so that's a good indication of how un-Mexican this place is. Making matters worse, they charge $4 for chips and salsa, which is awfully lame for a Mexican restaurant. There are much, much better places in town to get Mexican food than Hillside Cafe.

Favorite Dish: The salsa is good, but it's not worth $4.

• foxglove23's Profile Photo

The Little Grill: A bit of the island in the middle of the country

by foxglove23 Written Jan 19, 2006

My one place I recommend going while you're there is The Little Grill. It's a Jamaican dive, hole-in-the-wall sort of place. But the owner is Jamaican and comes out and sings songs and has a bluegrass-type band on the weekends.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is Jamaican Jerk Chicken. It's served with red beans and rice and the chicken is marinated in jerk sauce. A little spicy, lots of flavor. They also serve great gumbo.

So Long Saloon: So Long Saloon

by AcornMan Updated Jun 24, 2004

So Long Saloon has done a great job of carving out a unique little niche in the sandwich market by serving original and tasty burgers and chicken sandwiches with a distinctly western theme. The prices are about average for this kind of food, so you can get your fill without spending a fortune.

So Long Saloon is located where Pyramid Pizza used to be for so many years.

Hibachi Hut: Hibachi Hut

by AcornMan Written Apr 28, 2004

Located in Aggieville, Hibachi Hut has been serving great cajun food for decades. The atmosphere is as casual and laid back as you can imagine. In fact, it's almost as if the owners have made it a point to deliberately avoid remodeling the place to maintain its down to earth image. I've never had a bad meal in the dozens of times I've eaten there.

Rock-a-Belly Deli: Rock-a-Belly Deli

by AcornMan Written Apr 28, 2004

Rock-a-Belly Deli is universally recognized as the coolest place to get a sandwich or have a drink in Manhattan. The retro theme of the decor sets the laid back mood that is this establishment's hallmark. Waittresses and bartenders may come and go over the years, but Rock-a-Belly has a devoted customer base that keeps coming back.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Whiskey Creek Steakhouse: This creek doesn't run dry.

by aphrodyte Written Jul 31, 2003

Whiskey Creek in Manhattan

The location of this new restaurant has sort of a curse or something. So far each of the previous restaurants in that location has gone out of business or disappeared. Let's hope that this new restaurant chain breaks the bad streak. The decor is decidely cowboyish. Yehaw!

Whiskey Creek features large portions of slow roasted prime rib seasoned and finished over the fire pit and offer overnight smoked barbecue featuring moist brisket, pulled pork, St. Louis Ribs and baby back ribs that fall off the bone. On the lighter side you’ll find chicken fired over wood, pastas and shrimp. Yummy!

Hours:
    Sunday to Thurs 11am-10pm
    Friday and Saturday 11am-11pm

Favorite Dish: My favorite to order is the pulled pork and the french dip beef sandwich. I also like to eat the chicken fried steak and the chicken tortilla soup. The portions are huge and very decent for the price.

My daughter likes the chicken tenders a lot very moist and not dry.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Chili's Bar and Grill: I want my baby-back, baby-back, baby-back...ribs!

by aphrodyte Written Jul 31, 2003

The greatest thing in the world is

I've had a birthday here before and drank myself silly with the EL PRESIDENTE! Yeah, that was a really good birthday. On the other regular occasions, I would still get the EL PRESIDENTE!

Anyway, the atmostphere is very casual and for a while this was my favorite spot to eat. Then of course I went into this faze of not wanting to eat at a place with too much noise...so TA-DA....TAKE OUT! I cannot tell you how great a thing this is.

Favorite thing to do is go to Blockbusters or Hastings and rent a few movies, and while we are there we order some take out from chili's.

Favorite Dish: The greatest thing in the world for a very poor college student is a bottomless tostada chips with salsa. But that usually doesn't satisfy me so I will add some skillet queso, Shanghai wings. For an entree I like to order the Mushroom Jack Fajitas, country fried steatk, grilled shrimp alfredo, citrus glazed salmon or Baby Back Ribs (yeah...we sing that silly jingle too *grin*)

My daughter likes the fried cheese (mozzarella sticks) as an appetizer. She will eat the Pizza, but her favorite dish here is the Corn Doggy Dog and fries.

Instant Answers: Manhattan

Comments

Manhattan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Manhattan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Manhattan sightseeing.