Manhattan Restaurants

Front of the restaurant
    by BruceDunning
    Original wood beam supports and frame
    by BruceDunning
    Clapboard walls of scrap woods

Best Rated Restaurants in Manhattan

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Buffalo Wild Wings in Manhattan: Yay! The Buffalo is here, too!

by aphrodyte Written Jul 13, 2003

Will you quit with the pictures...I wanna drink!

Sadly, Buffalo Wild Wings is at the location where Streetside Records used to be. (I remember getting some really good eclectic music from there. Stuff no one else dares to sell...sigh...I'll miss that place) But hey!...It's Buffalo Wild Wings! So far, it's the only sportsbar I like.

They have their signature wings and legs in an assortment of flavors, burgers, salads, texmex options and potato options just to name a few of what they offer. The dessert menu has 2 items, oreo brownie and chocolate eclair. The brownie is nicely warmed up right before it gets to your table. They serve bar drinks and free refills on the water and soda. Each day has a special food item and/or beer item for a really good price.

The places are very kid friendly and my daughter gets a kick out of the table pager/buzzer that lets us know that our food is ready and on its way to the table.

Hours:
    Mon - Sat 11a-1a
    Sun 11a-11p

Favorite Dish: I had the 6 piece Teriyaki Wings. Batter dipped onion rings with a special order of ranch sauce, with a warm oreo brownie for dessert.

My daughter's fave is the corndog kids meal that comes with mini corndogs, smiling potato faces, a pickle spear and drink. She too likes the oreo brownie.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Hibachi Hut: Hibachi Hut

by AcornMan Written Apr 28, 2004

Located in Aggieville, Hibachi Hut has been serving great cajun food for decades. The atmosphere is as casual and laid back as you can imagine. In fact, it's almost as if the owners have made it a point to deliberately avoid remodeling the place to maintain its down to earth image. I've never had a bad meal in the dozens of times I've eaten there.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Village Inn Restaurant: A shadow of it's former glory.

by aphrodyte Written Jul 31, 2003

Village Inn the last of the red hot icons.

Village Inn was the quintessential local for the late night studying (right...studying) Anyho...I in my youth I was boycotting Bob's Diner (for reasons I can't remember) at the time and wanted to go somewhere to eat a light meal and pull and all nighter studying for some test that I knew I was going to fail miserably on. But, hey, I'm never one to quit so there I was at Village Inn. Getting "high" on gallons of coffee and their greasy bacon and egg breakfast. Ahhhhh....those were the days!

Nowadays, Village Inn is no longer a 24 hr place. I think you can stay as late a 11p or 1-2am on the weekends...but that's about it. This place has been here for as long as I have grown up here and so the decor has never changed. Sometimes you can get a pretty sourly attendant, but hey...they can't all be 5star waiters! The meals are reasonably priced and the milkshakes are awesome.

Favorite Dish: I usually get a breakfast skillet here or a burger and fries. Coffee and smoking is allowed (Yippee!)

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Carlos O'Kelly's Mexican Cafe: Aye! Ca-rumba...Me Lad!

by aphrodyte Updated Jul 31, 2003

Running For the Border and doing and irish jig.

I know it says mexican cafe and all, but I lived in San Antonio for a few years and I have been told on numerous occasions that the food that I like is not mexican, it's more like TexMex. Carlos O'Kelly's in my opinion (as well as the opinion of many Mexicans) believe that O'Kelly's offers some really good TexMex food.

The restaurant is part of the Towne Center Mall food court but it has a separate entrance for the times that the mall is not open. I've been here on numerous special occasions in my life and their food has always been a crowd pleaser.

For some reason, my fiance does not like authentic mexican food, so he thinks this place is tip top. But of course, he thinks this place is a little to pricey for him and would prefer to eat somewhere else.

Favorite Dish: I will usually order a big chili con queso, or the nacho grande without the jalapenos for an appetizer. My fave entree is the Suiza/Vera Cruz Combo. This dish has a Suiza Con Pollo, a flour tortilla filled with our fajita chicken and a blend of cheese, sour cream & garlic smothered in our Poblano Cream Sauce, and then there is the Seafood Vera Cruz which is also a flour tortilla stuffed with a blend of crab meat, whitefish, Monterrey Jack cheese and glazed with our own seafood sauce. It is also served with rice & beans.

I wish for the day that my daughter will like something other than chicken fingers...well one of these days she will find mexican/texmex food really good. However, her favorite food of choice here is the deep fried chicken tenders and fries.

For dessert we usually get either the sopapilla, or fried ice cream. Now I don't know the origins of the fried ice cream but that stuff is really good.

Oh yeah, and there is the 1800 Grand Gold Margarita. Oh...yum!

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Chili's Bar and Grill: I want my baby-back, baby-back, baby-back...ribs!

by aphrodyte Written Jul 31, 2003

The greatest thing in the world is

I've had a birthday here before and drank myself silly with the EL PRESIDENTE! Yeah, that was a really good birthday. On the other regular occasions, I would still get the EL PRESIDENTE!

Anyway, the atmostphere is very casual and for a while this was my favorite spot to eat. Then of course I went into this faze of not wanting to eat at a place with too much noise...so TA-DA....TAKE OUT! I cannot tell you how great a thing this is.

Favorite thing to do is go to Blockbusters or Hastings and rent a few movies, and while we are there we order some take out from chili's.

Favorite Dish: The greatest thing in the world for a very poor college student is a bottomless tostada chips with salsa. But that usually doesn't satisfy me so I will add some skillet queso, Shanghai wings. For an entree I like to order the Mushroom Jack Fajitas, country fried steatk, grilled shrimp alfredo, citrus glazed salmon or Baby Back Ribs (yeah...we sing that silly jingle too *grin*)

My daughter likes the fried cheese (mozzarella sticks) as an appetizer. She will eat the Pizza, but her favorite dish here is the Corn Doggy Dog and fries.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Whiskey Creek Steakhouse: This creek doesn't run dry.

Whiskey Creek in Manhattan

The location of this new restaurant has sort of a curse or something. So far each of the previous restaurants in that location has gone out of business or disappeared. Let's hope that this new restaurant chain breaks the bad streak. The decor is decidely cowboyish. Yehaw!

Whiskey Creek features large portions of slow roasted prime rib seasoned and finished over the fire pit and offer overnight smoked barbecue featuring moist brisket, pulled pork, St. Louis Ribs and baby back ribs that fall off the bone. On the lighter side you’ll find chicken fired over wood, pastas and shrimp. Yummy!

Hours:
    Sunday to Thurs 11am-10pm
    Friday and Saturday 11am-11pm

Favorite Dish: My favorite to order is the pulled pork and the french dip beef sandwich. I also like to eat the chicken fried steak and the chicken tortilla soup. The portions are huge and very decent for the price.

My daughter likes the chicken tenders a lot very moist and not dry.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Rusty's Next Door: Nazi Non-smokers....you have a place too!

by aphrodyte Written Jul 13, 2003

First ever smokeless bar in Aggieville.

It's a very original concept...the atmosphere of Rusty's...without the smoke! It's actually the only bar in Aggieville that caters to the non-smokers. I'm not surprised that it's well received.

You can just imagine how many times I've had people tell me, "I don't want to go to so-and-so, my clothes will stink!" "There's too much smoke in there *cough, cough*" "I don't know why you like going there...it's too crowded." "Can't go there, this is a new outfit and I don't want to get cigarette burns." I love them dearly, but they're a bunch of non-smokers!

Well...now I can kick them out of mine and send them next door! Or of course, if I run out of cigarettes I can just hang out in there. It's a casual, social atmosphere, a place where you can just hang for a bit.

Favorite Dish: Peanuts! Peanuts! Peanuts!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Hayes Restaurant: Head south down Hwy 177 for old time meal

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 14, 2009

Front of the restaurant

The meal was served very well and the employees try hard to please the customer. They have salads that range form $7-10, with the higher end being special meat with the salads base. Chicken fried steak is $8.15 and pan fried chicken $7.75, for lunches. That comes was a full meal with vegetables.
    The history is one reason to come here. It is very well preserved inside and on the National Historic Record, and they allow you to wander around down and upstairs. Seth Hayes first started a place to eat in 1831, and that later evolved into a type dance hall/theater. Later in 1857, he set up the restaurant of today, and the whole inside remains intact with old wood ceilings, and scraps for walls.

Favorite Dish: The fried chicken was great and crispy. Along with that came mashed potato, and gravy, vegetable and roll.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

So Long Saloon: The Best Burgers in Aggieville?

by yooperprof Written Sep 8, 2006

meet the grads and undergrads

I met my friend Natasha for lunch at the So Long Saloon, which has the reputation of having the best burgers and fries in Manhattan. I'll to come back to verify - I had a chicken salad croissant that was very good. Good collegiate vibe here.

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Rusty's Last Chance: A right of passage...don't miss the boat!

by aphrodyte Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outside of Rusty's on a late afternoon.

Pub food...is pub food! So go for the BEER!

During the summer season and in the daylight hours, Rusty's is a run of the mill saloon that serves up a decent helping of American bar food (burgers/fries/rib tips/etc.) that won't stress the wallet. Great for anyone on a budget, a big appetite, and a thirsty palate. There are daily specials aplenty.

Now...when the college kids come back...that's a whole different kettle of fish!
    It's not unheard of to see the front patio, the main bar and dance floor, the back patio, and back bar PACKED! (Especially after K-State football game.) Don't bother getting food at this time. Just drink up!

The dance floor is not very big, but they have the music piped everywhere. The music is 80s to current top 40 stuff and you can make requests. The atmosphere is like a big block party.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is whatever Specials they've got going...yeah...it's that good. (Especially with some alcohol!)

• Singles

Ramblers Steakhouse & Saloon: There is a Ramblerly in my Tumbly

by aphrodyte Updated Jul 31, 2003

Rambler's in Manhattan

I want to mention this place because of the drink specials and the really good steaks they have here. Occasionally we would come here for some and drinks and some good burgers and steaks. Sometimes they have live bands playing here, but I've never been there for that.

It usually gets kinda packed on some good nights but since it's out of way in E. HWY 24 going towards Wamego the regular college student and weekend tourist don't know about this place it doesn't get packed quite often.

They are recently expanding their patio, and seating area...so please don't mind the dust.

Drinking Hours:
    Monday - Thursday: 3pm - 1am
    Friday: 3pm - 2am
    Saturday: 11am - 2am
    Sunday: 12pm - 1pm

Food Hours:
    Tues - Sat: 5 pm - 10 pm (dinner)
    Sun: 11 am - 2 pm (lunch)

Favorite Dish: The steaks here are worth mentioning and the fries...there's nothing like a good grilled steak and greasy fries.

• donovanel's Profile Photo

Coco Bolo's: Coco Bolo's

by donovanel Written Aug 25, 2002

It is a trendy little restaurant--very colorful and very poplular. In the warmer weather you can eat outdoors and the prices are pretty reasonable--I don't think that there was many entrees over $15-20. Also, it is within walking distance to many bars, so it is a great starting point to meet with friends.

Favorite Dish: I haven't found my favorite yet, but the shrimp and chicken wrap is really good. And they have REALLY tasty margaritas on the rocks.

• donovanel's Profile Photo

Early Edition: Early Edition

by donovanel Written Aug 25, 2002

I have eaten here countless times--it has become kinda a Sunday morning tradition. But be careful, cause the place gets PACKED when church lets out. It is a rather plain restaurant but it has great food--I always end up overeating and feeling sick for about an hour or 2 til my food settles!

Favorite Dish: Chocolate Muffin--these are great if you like chocolate--make sure you get it heated--mmmm muffins.

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

Hibachi Hut and the Texas Star...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

Hibachi Hut and the Texas Star share the same entrance. Good food at good prices can be found here. We ate there on St. Patrick's Day and sat in a booth at the front window and watched the finish of the 10K race that day. The finish line with flags and judges was set up in front of the restaurant.
    They gave us free chips and salsa while we waited on our food.

Favorite Dish: Great Brisket sandwich at the Texas Star.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Hillside Cafe: Hillside Cafe

by AcornMan Written Jun 6, 2006

Hillside Cafe boasts about a long history in the Manhattan area, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it has managed to last that long. There's very little that's authentic about the food there. It is rather bland, and the menu is quite limited. Half the menu is burgers and the like, so that's a good indication of how un-Mexican this place is. Making matters worse, they charge $4 for chips and salsa, which is awfully lame for a Mexican restaurant. There are much, much better places in town to get Mexican food than Hillside Cafe.

Favorite Dish: The salsa is good, but it's not worth $4.

Instant Answers: Manhattan

Comments

Manhattan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Manhattan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Manhattan sightseeing.