Manhattan Shopping

A plethora of K-State stuff!
    Hastings store in Manhattan
    by aphrodyte
    Ohhhh I can taste the fresh watermelons!

Most Recent Shopping in Manhattan

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Eastside & Westside Markets: A little freshness goes a long way!

by aphrodyte Written Jul 31, 2003

In 1976, the owner started with just a small fruit and veggie stand on the east side of Manhattan. Now the store has expanded to two locations and included fresh flowers, christmas trees in the winter and now they are starting out on gift baskets.
    Oh...of course they have the K-State gift basket. But you ought to see their Kansas Gift basket with the cheese in the shape of Kansas. I don't know if they actually do that or have someone else make it shaped like that, but it's one of those Christmas kinda gift things.

This place is the next best thing to foodstuff from the farmers market. The place is open every day all year round.

Open Daily 9am - 8pm

What to buy: The watermelon, definitely the watermelon...oh and the peaches, and maybe the egg plant. Do you like egg plant? They are a thing of beauty when they are grown well. I love them fried with eggs and soy sauce! (Yeah, I know, great combo there Emmy)

Ohhhh I can taste the fresh watermelons!

Hastings: Books, Games, Music, & Movies to Rent or Buy

by aphrodyte Written Jul 30, 2003

In 1996, Hastings opened it's doors to to the Manhattan community. A simple way to describe Hastings is like a discount Barnes and Nobles. This place is an absolute weakness for me!

They have a great selection of books to buy at decent prices. If the book you are looking for isn't there, you can order it.

You can also buy, sell and trade your CDs. I've been able to collect some eclectic music from Hastings. (Especially since Streetside Records in Aggieville no longer exists) They have a good range of international music as well as the regular top 40 stuff.

There are very few things in my life that I treasure... my Gameboy SP is one of them! So I have found several accessories and games here to amuse myself on those rainy days and internet downtimes. They have pc and video games for sale and rental. As well as other pc software for sale.

I think the largest selection they have is their movie selection. They have a good range of newly released and oldies but goodies. prices for rentals are as low as 99 cents to $2.99.

During the dog days of summer sale they've got tons of great stuff for great bargains.

Open Daily 10am-11pm

Hastings store in Manhattan

GTM Sportswear: Bargain Sportswear

by aphrodyte Written Jul 30, 2003

This shop specializes in mass producing personalized clothing for sports teams, companies, schools, events, greek houses, etc. Say for example a company or school orders 30 shirts for a particular event but they only take 20. GTM stores the remaining shirts and sells during a tent sale along with other shirts, jackets, hats, etc. Tent sales happen a few times a year, but they always have a rack or two all year with bargain shirts.

This is also the largest store in manhattan that sells k-state anything. Their other store is in the Mall. This store sells anything from K-State rock, K-State thumbtacks to baby K-State stuff. (yes, all the little ones in my family have outfits!)

What to buy: Cutest thing --- "K-State rubber ducky"
    Funniest thing --- "Soup of the Day" statue

What to pay: It's a hit or miss thing, but you can spend as little as $5 a shirt and up

A plethora of K-State stuff!

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Manhattan Town Center/Town Center Mall: In the Heart of It All...

by aphrodyte Written Jul 12, 2003

Town Center Mall opened on October 26, 1987. From my understanding, it took 20 years to plan it and 1 year to build. I remember what it looked like before...

Decrepit.

Before, it just looked like any other downtown area in a small ag town. Many of us were looking forward to the new construction. It meant that we didn't have to go all the way to Topeka to do some REAL shopping. We were finally having a mall in our own town.

I understand why it took so long to plan. There were a lot of historical issues surrounding the downtown area. Lots of building had to be torn down. Lots of "mom and pop" venues will be permanently closed. Some were afraid that we might loose our identity/individuality with an upscale mall added to the downtown area. (That's a small town mindset for you.) All in all, we got the mall we still have our individuality. It's been about 16 years since the mall opened and I can't imagine not being without it.

There are 11 eateries and over 50 shops for clothing, toys, jewelry, games, souvenirs, and of course K-State stuff.

The mall is also the location of the Purple Power Play on Poyntz. A town rally before the first home football game for K-State.

Store directory on their website.
    Hours:
    Monday - Saturday 10am - 9pm
    Sunday 12noon - 6pm

What to pay: Purchases can range from great bargain basement finds to ultra expensive.

Manhattan Town Center

Instant Answers: Manhattan

Comments

Manhattan Shopping

Reviews and photos of Manhattan shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Manhattan sightseeing.