The present structure of the First Baptist Church was completed in 1907 and was built around an earlier and smaller church. The stucco exterior was added in the 1940's. After the exterior of hte present building was completed, the older structure was removed piece by piece through the front door. The newly built church just to the north was completed in the 1970's and is the sanctuary used for services today.
The congregation of the First Baptist Church (1877- present) has held worship service four types of structures a dugout, which was replaced by a soddie, then a small limestone structure, and now a red brick building north the old limestone structure.
The Township Hall constructed in 1937—1939 as a Works Progress Administration project has served as the community center for events such as meetings, dances, and elections since its dedication 1939.
Inside there are displays and a short video about the town.
The old hotel (1881) has changed a lot in appearance. Orginally limestone (visible in the back where the stucco has peeled off - see additional pictures), the building has been expanded and changed to become a family home. It is currently unoccupied and waiting restoration.
Built in 1885, this limestone structure is in good shape. It's not clear when the African Methodist Episcopal Church began to occupy this space. It sounds like it was the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church until 1910, when the AME congregation moved in. Meanwhile, there is information that the 1879 AME church
This school house for the children of the Nicodemus area was built in 1918 following destruction of the previous school building by fire, and was used until 1955. The American Legion purchased the building in 1983.
Its isolated location gives a feeling of the vastness of the plains.
When the original First Baptist Church was dismantled to make way for a bigger building, members of the African Methodist Episcopal Church salvaged many of its limestone blocks to use in the construction of its own church. The historic church is undergoing stabilization. Due to the budget crunch within the National Park Service, restoration is moving slowly.
Continuing west on Washington Street to Fourth Street, you will find this 1907 church which replaced the original Baptist Church built in 1877. Currently services are held in the brick building next door.
This 1878 building, built of native limestone, but later cover with stucco, is one of the original buildings of Nicodemus. It has also served as a stagecoach station and as the town's first post office. It is sadly in need of repair.
Nicodemus was the first community in Graham County, Kansas, to establish a school district and school. The existing school building was constructed in 1918 after a fire destroyed its predecessor.
Start your visit here. This limestone building was once the city hall and now houses the visitor's center administered by the National Park Service.
Be certain to pick up a Walking Tour Map & Guide.
Before walking around town, it is helpful to spend a few minutes in the visitor's center, getting a feel for the history of the settlement.