Places to eat in Kansas

• Corner entrance in the square of old town
    Corner entrance in the square of old...
    by BruceDunning
  • Located In A lovingly restored historic building
    Located In A lovingly restored historic...
    by RoscoeGregg
  • Called Crooners Because The Owner Likes To Sing
    Called Crooners Because The Owner Likes...
    by RoscoeGregg

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kansas

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Little Siagon: Viet Namese "So Good"

by RoscoeGregg Written Jun 11, 2013

Located in a little strip mall on the south side of Lawrence this place is well worth the visit. It is kind of small a few tables and a counter. It is clean and friendly.

Order at the counter and the food will be brought to you at the table.

It is bright and casual. The kitchen is open and the food is fresh and well prepared.

Open 10am to 9pm closed Sunday.

They do not take checks.

Favorite Dish: I like any of the noodle dishes.

There are lots of vegetarian options. Like the nice spring rolls.

They willingly make substitutions as the food is freshly made to order.

Wheatfield’s Bakery: The Best Bread In Town

by RoscoeGregg Written Jun 11, 2013

This is a fine place for breakfast and lunch. It is built around a great bakery. The bread is very well crafted. There is a nice selection and it is fresh. Well worth the stop.

Attached is a very nice simple restaurant. The sandwiches and salads are imaginative and fresh.. The coffee is good and dark as I like it.

The seating is comfortable. The bathrooms are clean and accessible. The atmosphere is relaxed and you never feel rushed. The service is friendly efficient. There is wi-fi available.

Favorite Dish: The bread is the real draw for me. The sandwiches are good, The lovely Barbara likes the salads. The sourdough and French bread are very good.

Josie’s Italian Restaurant: Truly Off The Beaten Path Place

by RoscoeGregg Updated Jun 11, 2013

This is one of the nicest things we found in Southeast Kansas when we moved here. The restaurant is the only business left in the small mining town of Scammon Kansas. It is run by an extended family. It is clean and consistent in quality and service.

It is not super fancy the food is the star. If you come to south east Kansas and miss it you made a mistake. We drive an hour each way a few times a year to eat here. It is that good!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is lasagna with the extra garlic sauce. The other pasta dishes are quite nice as well.

They have some nice wines and a full bar as well.

Bobo's Drive In: Classic American Drive-In

by basstbn Written May 31, 2010

A Topeka, Kansas, landmark since 1953 - one of the few remaining family-owned, old-fashioned hamburger joints. You can eat in your car (flash your lights to summon a carhop), at the horseshoe-shaped counter, or one of the few booths. In any case the service is great, and the ambiance will take you back to another time in American life.

Bobo's fame extends well beyond Topeka. This place was feature on Guy Fieri's television hit "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives," (2007) and was elected one of the "8 Wonders of Kansas Cuisine" in 2009.

Favorite Dish: The hamburgers are phenomenal, but Bobo's is best known for their fresh, hand-dipped onion rings - the best I have ever eaten. Another thing that got my juices flowing was RC - Royal Crown Cola; I can't remember when I last had an RC. Folks also rave about their cinnamon apple pie. I didn't eat any, so that means have extra reason to return.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

El Charro: Good Stuff

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 18, 2009

I had only a light breakfast in Kansas City and lunch was a quick snack as I headed out for the open roads of Kansas itself. Consequently, I was hungry when I sat down for my evening meal at El Charro.

It seemed like a nice little spot, with a section of elevated seating above the main floor. There were plenty of customers of all ages and types but that did not slow down the service. A quick-arriving bowl of nachos with a spicy salsa sauce and a Corona beer soon put me at ease while I waited for my order to arrive!

Favorite Dish: After the heavy-duty gourmet meals at the finest locations in Kansas City, I was ready to go back to more common fare. As a result, I ordered a simple Cheese Chicken (which I had never had before). It was a grilled chicken breast topped with cheese sauce & grilled onions, served with lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, rice and refried beans ($7.75). It was delicious, a meal that I totally enjoyed! Even with a beer and a tip the meal only came to US$12

• Business Travel

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

El Charro Restaurant: Friendly & Fast

by Bwana_Brown Updated Apr 10, 2009

Using my little tourist guide pamphlet that I had picked up upon entering Fort Scott, I had decided on a Chinese meal at a restaurant a short walk up one of the main streets of the historic district. By now, it was dark and a Friday night, but the streets were still almost deserted as I walked along.

It was not far, as I passed by a big B&B on the side of the street, that a big white Jaguar sedan stopped on the street and the driver shouted out, saying that they had not received any response at the door and asking me if the place was open. I said that I did not know and started to walk away. However, I then stopped and asked them if they were looking for a place to stay. When they said yes, I told them to pull off the street so I could talk to them. It turned out to be two older couples from the New York area who had just arrived in town. Once I hauled my little brochure out of my pocket, the two guys got out for a closer look as I pointed out the locations of various accommodations and what the tourist lady had told me. When they asked me if 'they could talk me into parting with it', I said 'go ahead - I don't need it anymore'. After shaking my hand and thanking me profusely, away they went! I was already a tour guide after only 2 hours in town!

Favorite Dish: When I reached my Chinese restaurant a few minutes later, it was not quite up to my expectations so I returned to a nice looking Mexican restaurant that I had just walked past.

I took this photo of the restaurant and its nice looking building the next morning before I left town.

• Business Travel

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Montana Mikes: STEAK

by Astrobuck Updated Aug 7, 2008

Great food.

In Dodge City, it seems everywhere you go serves steak. This place had really good steaks; and it wasn't very expensive. It has lodge decor on the inside, and a great atmosphere. When you get to Dodge, stop in. The food is great.

Favorite Dish: STEAK!

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Emma Chase Cafe, Cottonwood Falls: Kansas' Second Most Famous Restaurant?

by basstbn Updated Sep 3, 2007

Perhaps the state's second-most well known eating place, but only to the populace at large. To true state travelers, the Emma Chase is the quintessential small-town diner. Though it looks no different from other local cafes around the sunflower state, Kansas Explorers and other state insiders know this spot well, and meet there often. Located in the Flint Hills of central Kansas, Cottonwood Falls is a reminder of a different time, and the EC fits right into the mold. Besides offering better (far better, actually) dining fair than most local spots, people from all over the midwest convene at the Emma on Friday nights for music (bluegrass, gospel, country, rock) depending on the week. There are special Sunday morning breakfast buffets for bicyclists, bikers, antique auto drivers, and fly-in pilots.

It's a very special place for Kansans. Let's meet at the Emma!

Favorite Dish: Chicken Fried Steak - served the Kansas Explorer way. Fresh meat, never frozen, hand pounded and breaded, pan fried. Real mashed potatoes. Also a great choice is the pork tenderloin sandwich - wonderful. Nothing prepackaged and frozen here. And wonderful pie - my favorite is the gooseberry, Nancy loves the rhubarb.

Wheatfields Cafe: Kansas' Best Bread

by basstbn Updated Feb 27, 2006

Kansas' Best Bread - not according to me, or even some clever marketing guru. That's from some people who should know - the Kansas Wheat Growers Association.

Lawrence's Wheatfields Cafe has a well-deserved reputation as a wonderful place for breakfast, a sandwich, bowl of soup, salad, empanada, quiche, focaccia, or just coffee and pastry. The organic, artisan breads are baked on the premises in a specially designed wood-fired brick oven. It's bright, clean, and cheery with artwork on display and just enough college-town hipness to give it character.

And by all means, take home some of their loaves of incredible bread.

Favorite Dish: I have only eaten there once so far, but will go back as often as I can. On my first visit, I had an incredibly tasty pastrami and swiss on their own, freshly-baked sourdough rye. Wow!

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Sylas & Maddy's in Lawrence and Olathe: State's Best Ice Cream - by far!!

by basstbn Written Aug 9, 2004

The richest and tastiest ice cream I have ever eaten anywhere! Many of their house specialty flavors are named as tribute to the great state of Kansas.

Favorite Dish: A bowl of Kansas Twister ice cream. It's made with peanut butter ice cream, Oreo cookies, fudge swirl and chunks, and Spanish peanuts.

The Hays House, Council Grove: Kansas Oldest Restaurant

by basstbn Updated Aug 7, 2004

This is more than the oldest restaurant in Kansas - it is the oldest continually operating restaurant west of the Mississippi River. Opened in 1857 by Seth Hays, Council Grove's founder and a grandson of Daniel Boone, the Hays House saw many uses: church, courtroom, theatre, and political meeting place. Oh yes, and dining room. Some of the better known customers from the early years were General George Custer and Jesse James. The town of Council Grove was one of the last major supply towns on the wagon train trail to Santa Fe, and the Hays House was said to have been built right in the middle of the trail.

Favorite Dish: It was too long ago, I don't remember. Must go back. However, it is known for beef brisket, ham, crispy fried chicken, and best of all - fresh peach pie with ice cream. Yes indeed, I MUST go back.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

The Brookville Hotel, Abilene: Kansas' Best-known Dining?

by basstbn Updated Aug 7, 2004

The Brookville Hotel is no longer a hotel and it is no longer in Brookville - go figure! Since the early 1900s the Brookville has been serving its famous family style chicken dinners in the old-style dining rooms. But now in Abilene, right next to the busy interstate, and in a new facility built to look like the old one.

Favorite Dish: There's only one thing on the menu. Or, rather, there IS NO menu. You just sit down and they start bringing your country-style fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, and all the fixin's. It's all served family-style. An authentic taste of farm cooking.

• Tiffany House - Yesterday's...

by AngelDivine Written Aug 25, 2002

Tiffany House - Yesterday's Treasures (In Hutchinson)
    I also think Carriage Crossings in Yoder (just outside of Hutchinson)is a quaint place. It's in an Amish town, run by Amish people.
    This restaurant has a wonderful Victorian ambiance with lace curtains and tablecloths, tiffany lamps, antique wooden furniture, and romantic lighting.

Favorite Dish: Spinach Quiche at Tiffany House -- it's what they're famous for!

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

Kansas City is known for it's...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

Kansas City is known for it's barbecue. There are good places to eat all over the state. One of the more interesting places is Hayes House in Council Grove. It is the oldest operating restaurant West of the Mississippi River.

• Raxxillion's Profile Photo

Well, I would have to say that...

by Raxxillion Written Aug 25, 2002

Well, I would have to say that the Sixth Street McDonald's in Junction City is my favourite. Quit laughing at me! I am serious. I don't know what it is, but their food just seems to taste better than at other Micky-D's. And I enjoyed the service.
    Very clean. Nice, service oriented employees.

Favorite Dish: French fries! Yum!

Kansas Hotels

15 Reviews - 21 Photos
Independence Hotels
16 Reviews - 14 Photos

Instant Answers: Kansas

Comments

Kansas Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kansas restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kansas sightseeing.
Map of Kansas