On the courthouse grounds is a very nice memorial dedicated to all Smith County Veterans especially those who paid the ultimate price serving in the nation's wars.
This is a reconstruction of a large 54 foot windmill built in 1879 by Charles G. Schwarz a German immigrant who settled in nearby Reamsville. The mill used the wind power to grind corn and wheat until 1914 when a Kerosene powered engine was installed. The mill remained in service until 1920. The mill was moved to Smith Center in 1938. It was partially destroyed by fire in 1955 but an influx of donations allowed it to be rebuilt. Only two of these mills remain in the state.
Smith Center has a nice little historic district with several buildings of historical and/or architectural interest. The First National Bank Building (near center of photo) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.