Topeka Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Topeka

Boss Hawg's BBQ: Boss Hawg's BBQ

by AcornMan Updated Apr 29, 2004

The terrific ribs at Boss Hawg's

Although Topeka isn't the first place that typically comes to people's minds when they think barbeque, Boss Hawg's serves some of the best barbeque I've ever had anywhere in the country. And believe me, I've spent a lot of time looking for good barbeque. You can even take a look at their menu before going.

Blind Tiger Brewery: Blind Tiger Brewery

by AcornMan Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food at Blind Tiger Brewery is pretty good, but it's really the excellent handcrafted beer that draws people here. Situated in a big spacious stand-alone building in southeast Topeka, Blind Tiger isn't the most convenient place to get to, but it's worth the trip no matter what part of town you're in.

Porubsky's: Porubsky's

by AcornMan Written Dec 6, 2004

Located in a not-so-scenic corner of North Topeka in a little are of town called Little Russia, Porubsky's is nevertheless a Topeka icon because of its outstanding deli sandwiches, chili, and of course its famous hot pickles. Porubsky's has just a small dining area and a bar on one side, with a minimarket and deli on the other, but that's the charm of the place.

Favorite Dish: The cold plate with chili is the most popular item on their menu. It consists of a plate of various deli meats and cheeses, assorted bread, and some slices of hot pickles. And of course there's a side of their excellent chili.

Annie's Place: Annie's Place

by AcornMan Updated Apr 4, 2011

An offshoot of the once super-popular but now closed Meat & Cheese Shop in the also once-popular Gage Center shopping area, Annie's Place has been a Topeka tradition since the mid 1980s. It was originally known primarily for its outstanding hamburgers grilled over an open flame and served on fresh-backed buns and delicious sweet deli pickles, but it has since expanded its menu dramatically. Don't worry though, they still have a long list of hamburgers too.

Jade Garden: Jade Garden

by AcornMan Written Dec 6, 2004

Located in what used to be a long since defunct Andy's Hamburgers building, Jade Garden has been serving great Chinese food since the 1980s. One of the best things about this place is that you don't even have to go inside to eat because they have a drive-thru lane as well. This has long been one of my favorite places for Chinese food in the area, especially since it has the best crab rangoon I've ever had.

Sun's Chinese Restaurant: Sun's Chinese Restaurant

by AcornMan Written Dec 6, 2004

Sun's is a recent arrival to the Topeka restaurant scene but offers a great option to people living in the southwest part of the city. They serve great Chinese food that is made even better by the fact that most of it is not deep fried like you'll find at so many other places. In fact, Sun's is close to displacing Jade Garden as my favorite spot for Chinese food in Topeka.

• Puffy Steak and Ice HouseIf...

by dwhavens Written Aug 26, 2002

Puffy Steak and Ice House

If you want a great steak Drive about 20 miles West on I-70 to Maple Hill and visit Puffy Steak and Ice House. Great food and the largest 16 oz steak you have ever seen. Call first 785-256-4329 not open Mondays and Tuesdays .
    Great Food and a unique atmosphere. The restaurant is connected to a small grocery store where you can buy the same great steaks you have in the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: 16 OZ Sirloin - for under $15.00. Full pound burgers

• lenoreva's Profile Photo

My grandmother loves to take...

by lenoreva Written Aug 25, 2002

My grandmother loves to take us to the fast food joint 'Long John Silvers' when we are in town. Fish and chicken filets are deep batter fried.
    Fairly cheap, especially with the coupons my grandmother always has with her. If you like the food, ring the bell on the way out. Like most fast food places, LJS has a drive-through.

Favorite Dish: To cut down on fat, I skin most of the fried batter from my fish filets (my grandmother says this is taking off the best part!), but I never can resist eating the hushpuppies (deep friend bread balls).

• If you love Mexican food you...

by cally Written Aug 25, 2002

If you love Mexican food you have to go to ROSA'S!!!!!
    open 11 a.m. to 9p.m., Monday thru Saturday
    Rosa's is a small little restaurant with a nice atmosphere. I think it's a family business and everybody is very friendly....

Favorite Dish: everything that has no meat in it

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

For my virtual tourist friends...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

For my virtual tourist friends from other countries if you come all the way to Topeka Kansas may I suggest you try a USDA Choice graded steak. Beef cattle are raised throughout Kansas and I will say are some of the best any where. There are many places in Topeka to try a steak. I have only been to two of them so far. The Outback Steakhouse is part of a major restaurant chain and is located on 21st street. The Timberline steakhouse is on Wanamaker road. They are both a short drive from the history museum that I enjoy in Topeka and close to West Ridge Mall.
    One thing I like to do at Timberline is get the peanuts. I throw the peanut shells on the floor under my wife's side of the table until she gets annoyed. Don't tell her this but she is pretty cute when she is annoyed.

Favorite Dish: Steak!!!

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

Coyote Canyon is one of my new...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

Coyote Canyon is one of my new favorite places to eat. Great food at a great price. They have steak on the buffet. All the steak you can eat for one low price. I was just there and ate 5 steaks along with every thing else.
    Great buffet place with all the steak you can eat. During weekdays for lunch I think the buffet is only $5.79.

Favorite Dish: Steaks are not bad. They are not filet mignon but are still good. Huge variety on salad bar. Try the mini buns for dessert.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

CW Porubsky's Deli & Tavern: The Transcendent Deli

by basstbn Updated Mar 6, 2010

Almost hidden away on a side street in Topeka's "Little Russia" is one of the city's best-known eateries, one that has survived floods, fires, economic down-turns and other disasters for more than sixty years. Porubsky's is first a neighborhood mom and pop grocery, and second a deli and tavern. This iconic little place has been featured in numerous newspaper and television features, even written up in Gourmet magazine. Go figure.

Transcendent deli? I'm not certain why it's so known. I do know that is included in the title of a documentary film, a cult hit, which follows third generation owner Matt Porubsky in his "journey to discover the history and appeal of the business his grandparents began over sixty years ago." This project was fundeded by theWashburn University Center for Kansas Studies. Youtube trailers can be seen at www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctCI3Ss2lUg and www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtpM4AdKEc

Favorite Dish: Porubsky's signature food item is their chili, reputed to be incredibly good but on the spicy side. I don't know. I went on a Friday, chili is available Monday through Thursday during autumn and winter months. Based on my first and only visit to this point I would highly recommend the cold cut plate, a terrific value. You get a plate with high-quality, freshly-sliced cold cuts and cheese, two kinds of bread plus pickles. Make a sandwich if you wish - if you do, try the spicy mustard.

• Blind Tiger: Open your eyes, Blind Tiger

by drsamsshack Updated Apr 4, 2011

We travled 1500 miles to visit the Blind Tiger on Valentine's Eve after reading the 5 star rating from a variety of locals. I will give this place 2 of 5 stars for the following reasons: 1. At 6:00p.m. we arrived to find two different "choices" of organic steak...AND THEY WERE OUT OF BOTH! I mean, come on! The manager didn't plan ahead for the increased patrons? They sent us the dumbest waitress who just kept taking our order only to return and say, "I'm sorry, we're out of that". We were so stinkin' hungry and there were no other restaurants accepting reservations, so we attempted to feast on side dishes. 2. Salad from a bag? The iceburg letter was brown edged and stale...even the dressing couldn't cover it up. 3. The jalepeno poppers were very good which is why I gave it 2 stars. 4. The baked potato was undercooked and they were cheap on the sour cream and butter...5. The brew was good, but not worth the travel and certainly not something we don't get right in our own backyard in our beautiful state of California. Blind Tiger Manager...you could have come out when we asked to speak to you...you could have saved the bad publicity, but I guess we just weren't worth it. A formal apology, a discounted bill...anything to reach out and account for poor planning on your behalf! The place was empty for a 5 star, which made perfect sense later when they said, "you don't need reservations". It was overated, overpriced and so far under our expectations. The employees are probably leaving the 5 star ratings...quite tacky. Beware.

Favorite Dish: Jalepeno Poppers were fried in a special beer batter...

• Beer Tasting
    • Business Travel

Golden Dynasty: Golden Dynasty

by AcornMan Written Dec 12, 2004

Golden Dynasty is a tiny little Chinese restaurant offering take-out and a drive-up window, but no dine-in seating area. Their menu is huge and the portions are generous, but the food itself was average at best. It's not a bad place for a meal, but it's certainly nothing special either. They did have excellent rice though.

Chez Yasu: Chez Yasu

by AcornMan Written Dec 21, 2004

Topeka is an unlikely location for a French restaurant, but Chez Yasu is a small place that caters to a crowd that would normally go to Lawrence or Kansas City to find a somewhat exotic meal. The food is pretty good, though I didn't think it was anything special. I've never been a huge fan of French quisine anyway though, so keep that in mind. But if you're in the mood for a French meal this is definitely the only game in town.

Instant Answers: Topeka

Comments

Topeka Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Topeka restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Topeka sightseeing.