Troy Travel Guide

Troy Things to Do

by basstbn Updated Sep 14, 2003

Hungarian native Peter Wolf Toth's feeling of kinship with American Indians has resulted in his carving 67 sculptures in the US and Canada, similar to that in the accompanying photo, but each with characteristics of local tribes. The Troy monument is a composite of the Kickapoo, Pottawatomie, Iowa, Sac and Fox Indians, all of which have reservations in the area.

Toth came to Doniphan County in 1978 to sculpt this work, the twenty-ninth completed. The burr oak log chosen (from a 100 foot tall tree) was 67 inches in diameter. When the sculpture was completed it was 27 feet in height.

by basstbn Updated Sep 14, 2003

Having taken what I thought was my last photo in Troy, and lunch under my belt, I drove around the court house square to head toward the highway. I spotted this, thought it looked like Abraham Lincoln, and decided to check it out.

It is a modest little monument commemorating the fact that The Great Emancipator visited Troy and spoke on behalf of some Republican candidates for office to an assemblage of about 50 persons. This occurred in 1859, before Kansas was a state, and before Lincoln grew a beard and became president.

I noticed a rather old looking house behind the monument and then a gentleman came out of the house. I asked him how old the house is and he told me it was built in 1856 and asked if I would like to see it.

(See my next Activity Tip - Nelson Rodgers Residence)

Monument to Abraham Lincoln's Visit

by basstbn Updated Sep 14, 2003

The historical society spokesman was pleased show this recent acquisition - a beautiful wood-burning stove to be displayed in the kitchen.

I really appreciate this group of local history buffs and what they have accomplished. There are very few occasions that we have the opportunity to learn first hand how local historical treasure become saved and restored for generations to come. Three cheers for such groups all around the globe!!

Wood-burning Stove

Troy Restaurants

by basstbn Updated Apr 27, 2012

I'LL DELETE THIS ENTRY IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT!

What I said about this place several years ago:

Most small towns have at least one diner where the locals gather for breakfast, coffee break and perhaps lunch. A few of them stay open for the evening meal, but not many. Breakfasts are usually the best meals served, followed by hamburgers.

If you want to know what's going on in town, or where the fishing is good, just listen to the conversation at the big table where the guys hang out. Or ask.

Favorite Dish: I won't call it a favorite, but I ate Swiss steak, peas, and mashed potatoes with gravy. The generous portion of Swiss steak (pan roasted steak smothered in tomatoes and onions) was home-made and pretty tasty. Typically of most of these local joints, the peas were plentiful but of the mushy canned variety.

Instant Answers: Troy

Comments

Troy Travel Guide
Map of Troy