Places to eat in Wichita

Roadside sign
    Building entrance
    Some of the Seating area

Most Viewed Restaurants in Wichita

• China Star (West Central location): Don't go late it's a ripoff!

by wichitadiner Written Sep 13, 2012

We had eaten there for lunch and dinner before and it was pretty good. But this time we went a bit after 8:00 p.m. and it was horrible. We paid the same money as people that come early, but apparently later in the evening, they don't want to be bothered to keep the buffet fresh and filled--even a little. Many pans on the buffet were empty, the frozen yogurt had run out, the other pans looked like they had just sat for a couple of hours.

I usually go to a Chinese buffet looking to have some fresh and healthy stir fried vegetables, but the only dishes that had any stir fried vegetables at all had turned brown from sitting in the pan so long. I usually try to go at lunch or at happy hour because we're on a tight budget, but I decided to splurge and go to the evening buffet thinking it would be a better meal. Even though we paid the full evening price the buffet was worse than any lunch or happy hour buffet I had ever seen in my life.

I had heard a server offer to get something for some people at another table, but the offer was never made to me. Anyway, usually I enjoy sampling many different dishes, was I supposed to tell them to fill all the empty pans? After all, I had paid for a full buffet trusting that I would be getting the same quality I had gotten at other times. I felt like we were just cleaning up leftovers from the 6:00 dinner period, as there were only a couple of things that looked reasonably freshly cooked. It wouldn't have been so bad if they charged less than happy hour as it was worse than any leftover lunch buffet served for happy hour. But I felt robbed by paying full price. I will never trust a chinese buffet again without going to look at it before being seated. As I paid, I made the comment that people that come late deserve to have the pans filled and with the same quality of food as those who come earlier. But the server and apparently the owner (within earshot) said nothing and did nothing to make it right. I was extremely angry for being ripped off. My husband and I like Hibachi grill and will go there instead now though I haven't tried them in the later evening yet.

Favorite Dish: I don't have any favorites there anymore. I'm not planning to go back.

• Viewz's Profile Photo

Scotch & Sirloin: Great Steak and Seafood

by Viewz Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great Steak and Lobster. The setting is great for professionals, evening meetings and small talk. Take your out of town guests here, for that get to it proposal. The service can be compared to any elegant restaurant in the Washington, DC metro area. I enjoy the low lighting and personal feel.

Favorite Dish: Filet Mignon and Petite Lobster Tails

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

Red, Hot & Blue BBQ: Red, Hot & Blue BBQ

by AcornMan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Red, Hot & Blue is a restaurant chain with locations in ten states, with two locations in Wichita (you guessed it, one on the east side and one on the west side). In recent years Wichita seems to have accumulated quite a lot of BBQ joints, though this one is styled more like a traditional sit-down family restaurant rather than the more typical hole-in-the-wall buildings that BBQ joints tend to occupy. This jacks the prices up a bit, but the food is quite good. Besides, this is really you're only option if you want good BBQ in Wichita without venturing to some of the less prosperous parts of the city.

Caffe Moderne: Cappuccino and Cake

by grayfo Written Nov 22, 2009

Nice atmosphere and comfortable seating. Quaint architectural accents to look at and several TVs playing classic B&W movies. Lively enough for fun, yet quiet enough to hear yourself think. Good place for meeting with family or friends.

email janet.caffemoderne@gmail.com

Monday to Thursday: 7:00 am to 10:00 pm
    Friday to Saturday: 7.00 am to Midnight

Favorite Dish: Cappuccino and Hot Lemon Cake

Timberline: Steakhouse and Grill

by grayfo Written Oct 22, 2009

The steak was very tender, the service was efficient and the waitress attentive.

May 2009

Favorite Dish: 10 Oz Ribeye (Medium Rare) served with double fries. They also do a 16 Ounce but the 10 oz was more than adequate. $16.99

Monterrey Mexican Restaurant: Mexican in the Mid-West

by grayfo Written Oct 21, 2009

The menu has a full range of a la carte and build-a-plate offerings, for the Mexican food lover there is a great choice, be it chile verde, enchiladas supremas, veggie burritos, tacos, or creative fajitas. The night I went (a Monday), the restaurant was very busy but I still found the service friendly and I was accommodated with a cheese free version of an existing meal.

Monday to Thursday: 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
    Friday to Saturday: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
    Sunday 11:30 am to 4:00 pm

Favorite Dish: Grilled Chicken Fajitas $11.99

Hangar One Steakhouse: Watch out for Incoming

by grayfo Written Oct 17, 2009

Airport themed steakhouse, think a hangar during world-war two with fighter planes and you capture the ambiance. The restaurant had only been open 5 weeks and it was Saturday night at 9.00, so it’s hardly surprising the place was packed. After being told there was a 45 minute wait I left instructions that I could be found at the bar, no problem. About 20 minutes later and a friendly chat at the bar a table was free. The food was excellent and done exactly as I like it and I shall fit in another visit before I return to England.

As an afterthought why does everyone take their leftovers home with them?

email Melissa.simpson@hangaronesteakhouse.com

Favorite Dish: Conquest Ribeye (12 oz) with Double Fries - $15.99
    Large Bud Light - $4.00

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Gerrard's: Country Food in Goddard

by BruceDunning Updated May 21, 2009

Wellllll-I got the buffet for lunch at $6.50-all you can eat chicken, steak smothered, and vegetables. The others got buffet salads for $5.50. The price it right and the food very tasty. I pigged out because the chicken fried crust was great. Hamburgers are only $3.25-$4, and all other items reasonable. No gift shop any longer and they have not changed the sign. Now that area is ore seating for food.

Favorite Dish: Fried chicken would be my choice.

Roadside sign Building entrance Some of the Seating area Hard working owner at register

• chingay's Profile Photo

Bone Fish: Best Fish in Town

by chingay Written May 22, 2007

Bonefish Grill has a nice ambience. Cheesy vinyl table covers aside, I think the place is awesome. The food is fantastic. My mahi mahi wasn’t the best I’ve had, but the lump crab corn chowder was delicious. I could make a meal out of it by itself.

Brian had to get the filet mignon (he doesn’t eat fish but was nice enough to take me there anyway) because they ran out of sirloin (his first choice). He said the steak was okay but the mashed potatoes were very good.

Losing at poker doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate.. So I talked Brian into getting the bananas fosters. I’d been craving bananas fosters for almost two years, but could not find anywhere that serves it. I came close at Moby’s Fish Tales at Harrah’s NKC, but I was too full at the end of my meal so we didn’t end up getting it. This time I only ate half of my fish to ensure I had room for dessert. Finally, I got to satisfy my craving.

I did find out that they serve creme brulee so I told Brian that we’ll have to come back for that. Some of the things that I want to try next are the bang bang shrimp, crab cakes, mussels, coconut shrimp, calamari, and tilapia among other things. Needless to say, we’ll probably find ourselves there several times this year.

Favorite Dish: Bang Bang Shrimp, Pomegranite Martini

• Nu Way Cafe: Old Fashioned Fast Food

by MsHux Written May 21, 2007

Visit the original Nu-Way Cafe on West Douglas for some old-fashioned fast food. Originally built in 1930, they still make their own root beer and onion-rings every day at the Nu-Way. The place was neat as a pin and intimate (small). There is a bar with spinning stools and the menu hangs over the bar. The walls feature photos of bowling teams and other local tidbits from the last 70+ years. Fries, onion rings, tator tots, dogs ... all the usual fried fare. The burgers at the Nu-Way are unusual - the meat is loose, like a sloppy joe, without all the sloppy part, just meat. Interesting. If you like lot of meat go for a double at least. I've heard the taco salad is really good too. We thought it was great fast food and something a little different. The rootbeer was great - next time I'll save room for a rootbeer float.

Favorite Dish: Great onion-rings are always a find!

• Imbiss Grill: Rude, Unfriendly, Unwelcoming!!

by kmask Written Oct 8, 2006

I placed a to-go order and discovered my two side dishes were missing when I got home. When I called them I was told to come back and they would give them to me; however, when I returned they refused to give them to me and began insulting me, etc. On every other occasion that I have been at this establishment I have had no complaints; however, now there were juvenile-deliquent-behaving children working there on this visit (10/7/06) and I will not frequent an establishment that hires and condones this type of behavior - especially as it concerns disabilities and age.

• Seniors
    • Disabilities

• Rich62's Profile Photo

STARBUCKS: COFFE, CAPUCCINO, LATTES, FRAPPES, ETC

by Rich62 Updated Mar 6, 2006

WE JUST ARE HOOKED ON STARBUCKS. I know, its an expensive drink. But its soooooo good!

Favorite Dish: A vanilla Bean Frappe in the summer.

A decaf Hazelnut Latte in the winter.

An Egg Nog Latte at Christmastime!

Wow, is this a great country or what?

I'LL HAVE A HAZELNUT DECAF LATTE, PLEASE
    • Business Travel

Red Mesa Grill: Red Mesa Grill

by AcornMan Written Feb 15, 2005

It's kind of difficult to categorize Red Mesa Grill. On one hand the menu looks Mexican, but it also features some Tex-Mex flavors. I suppose the best way to describe it is to say it serves "Southwest" food. Red Mesa's menu is anything but ordinary, with unique flavors and sauces accompanying even the simplest dishes. I've never had a meal there that I didn't enjoy. It is a bit on the expensive side, but well worth the money.

Favorite Dish: The corn ancho bisque is to die for.

Chopstix: Chopstix

by AcornMan Written Feb 15, 2005

Wichita has loads of Chinese restaurants, many of which are quite good. Unfortunately Chopstix falls near the bottom in quality. This very informal place sits in a little strip mall in northwest Wichita and simply serves food from behind a counter. Since that food has been sitting out on a steam table for god-knows-how-long, it's anything but fresh unless you happen to time your order just as a new batch is brought out from the kitchen. You can do much, much better than Chopstix for Chinese food in Wichita, so I would not bother with this place.

Italian Garden: Italian Garden

by AcornMan Written Feb 15, 2005

Italian Garden is a locally owned restaurant that serves very good Italian food in a casual but aesthetically attractive environment. This is definitely one of the better Itialian places in town, and has two locations to serve both sides of Wichita. I've enjoyed everything I've eaten here, so there's no need to avoid certain items on the menu.

Wichita Hotels

Castle Inn Riverside
1 Review & Opinion
Homewood Suites by Hilton At The Waterfront

Instant Answers: Wichita

Comments

Wichita Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Wichita locals.
Map of Wichita