Passage to India, Wichita

• Passage to India
    by brdwtchr
  • Passage to India: Worst Restaurant Experience Ever

by rdhudlin Written Mar 26, 2011

Wow! This was the absolute worst restaurant experience I have ever had. We stopped in for a quick, small lunch at about 1 p.m. on a Saturday. Upon entering and we waited at the "Please wait to be seated" sign. After several minutes, some fat guy, we later figured out he is the owner or manager, sees us and yells across the room "You go in there" pointing to the dining area near the buffet.

We went to where we were not so politely directed and picked a booth. I began reading the drink menu while waiting for the waitress, even though I had no intention of ordering alcohol. Soon, the waitress came and asked our order. My girlfriend ordered a coke and I ordered an iced-tea. The waitress asked us if we wanted the buffet. We replied that we would really rather order off of the menu because we just wanted a small lunch.

About that time, the same fat guy walked up and addressed the waitress, not us and asked her "what does he want?" She explained that we would like to order off of the menu. He then addressed me: "What do you want?" I explained that we would like to see a menu. He replied "Why don't you just eat buffet?" I explained that we did not want to buy two buffets when we just wanted a light lunch, and asked if that was possible. He replied (and this is word for word) "Ok, but you hurry up and order and eat. You have to be out of here by 2:30." Flabbergasted, I replied "never mind." His response: "Now you don't want a menu." He then turned to the waitress and asked her what I had ordered to drink. She told him that I had ordered iced tea. He asked me why I hadn't ordered wine and told me that if I wanted something else to drink, I should talk to him, not the waitress.

Shocked we sat there until the waitress brought our drinks and asked us again if we wanted the buffet. I told her we would not be eating, just bring us a bill for the drinks. She asked why and I explained to here that we had never been so rudely treated in a restaurant and that even though I had eaten there many times in the past, I would never again eat there. I again asked for a bill. She refused, apologized for her bosses behavior, took our glasses and told us to just go and she would pretend that she had not brought us our drinks.

Never before have I ever been treated in such a way by a business owner. I will never again step into this place and will encourage everyone I meet to do the same.

I understand cultural differences, but rude is just rude.

• veggiegirl's Profile Photo

Passage to India: Passage to India

by veggiegirl Written Sep 8, 2002

As far as we know, this is Wichita's only Indian restaurant.... but we love it! Lots of vegetarian choices. If you're not sure what you'll like, try the lunch buffet to get a variety of choices.

Favorite Dish: Malai Kofta

Instant Answers: Wichita

Comments

Hotels Near Passage to India
4.5 out of 5 stars