Tornadoes, Wichita

• Tornadoes
    by wanderingbtrfly
  • Tornado's

by Asnpdirtezw Written May 9, 2007

Well We have already had almost 200 tornadoes this year which means we still have a way to go and that they will be very common and active this year so please be on alert and also to add to were to go try to get to the middle of the building that you are in if u are in one.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo

We are in tornado alley so...

by kschatterbox Updated Mar 14, 2007

We are in tornado alley so PLEASE know what to do if there should be a tornado !!!!
    What you should do is watch the sky for any scary looking clouds. They will turn a greenish color. If you are in a house and the sirens are going off go to the basement. If there is no basement go to a closet or the bathtub and put a matress (if you can get it off the bed) over you heads.
    If you are outside, look for a place that looks stable. DO NOT go under a bridge. A couple of years ago, there was a tornado in KS and many people stoped under a bridge on the highway. They were okay, but the news stress the point that it is not safe! They do say go into a ditch.

• Do Tornadoes Avoid River Forks?

by ksadm Written Jul 12, 2005

Growing up in a mobile home in Wichita, I remember lots of tornado drills and a number of midnight trips to the storm shelter. I heard once that tornadoes go around places where rivers join or split, and Wichita centers on the joining of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers (we pronounce the last 's'). I don't know how accurate that bit of homegrown wisdom is, but in my personal experience I only remember tornadoes striking communities on the outskirts of the city but never near its center. For what it's worth...

Instant Answers: Wichita

Comments

Other Warnings and Dangers in Wichita