Bardstown Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by sdsmthomas

Most Recent Restaurants in Bardstown

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Talbott Tavern: Good Ol' Tavern! Stop in!

by charlenemixa Written Jul 30, 2014

We stopped in the bar for a drink and to watch a baseball game. It was a Wednesday and very quiet in the bar. The lady bartender was friendly and very accommodating. It is an old bar with plenty of history. Not fancy just a good place for a drink. We didn't go in the restaurant.

The history and friendliness makes this a special tavern to visit when in Bardstown. It has been around for so many years and is definitely rich in history. They have rooms and a restaurant, so it may be a unique place to stay when in Bardstown. Walking the creaking boards, looking at photos, and learning its history while enjoying a cocktail is fun. Unique ol' tavern! Stop in when in Bardstown.

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Mammy's Kitchen: Great Homey Restaurant”

by charlenemixa Written Jul 30, 2014

We had a terrific lunch on our visit to Bardstown. My husband had their Baby Hot Brown, their specialty. It was delicious and plenty filling. I loved the pimento cheese sandwich. Reminded me of growing up when we often had pimento cheese. We shared the butterscotch pie. Ummm good! Wonderful!

The restaurant is very casual with good food and downtown. Great place to stop while exploring downtown.

Favorite Dish: Hot Brown

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Circa Restaurant: Fabulous & Elegant Dining!

by charlenemixa Written Jul 27, 2014

The Circa is a truly fine dining restaurant in Bardstown run by the owners Bill and Donna Ellis. Located in an old home that has been elegantly redone, all of the paintings/artwork were done by Donna Ellis. The dining room is warm and upscale with comfy, cushioned high-back chairs and large tables with crisp tablecloths. We had a fabulous dinner! The owners are actually the chef and the hostess/waitress assuring each guest have a wonderful dining experience. We each had the Seafood Board which had a delicious and beautifully presented variety of seafoods (with a bourbon touch, too.) The chocolate Torte was delicious! The Circa can easily compete with the four and even five star restaurants. They are also open for lunch. We recommend it for a romantic or special occasion restaurant for dinner or lunch.

The Scrumpitous Seaboard

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Rickhouse Restaurant & Lounge: Great Restuarant in the Bourbon Capital!

by charlenemixa Written Jul 27, 2014

The Rickhouse is a unique restaurant in the basement of a historical building. It has a d├ęcor resembling the Rickhouse (where bourbon is aged). They have an active lounge but we opted to dine in the dining room. While it is a steakhouse they still had a couple of seafood entrees. The Salmon with bourbon sauce was excellent and perfectly prepared. My husband had the crab cakes which were also very good. The portions, especially of the side dishes are large and could easily be shared. Of course, we finished our dinner with the scrumptious bread pudding with bourbon sauce. Good place to dine while visiting Bardstown. It was busy the night we dined and does get noisy. The staff was very good.
    Note: Although we had dinner reservations here, we actually happened on it. We had walked over to see the Basilica of St. Joseph Proto-Cathedral and were walking around the grounds to Spalding Hall and saw a couple go down some outside stairs. We then followed them to find out this was Rickhouse Restaurant.

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Rebecca's Pepperoni Grill: Rebecca's Pepperoni Grill

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Sort of hard to find...off the main drag...but we found it. I had a blow out on the Bluegrass Parkway so we had to get off at Bardstown to get the tire replaced at WalMart..3 hrs wait time on a crowded Sunday...
    After we got the tire fixed..I pulled up my Yelp app on my cellphone and did a search for Pizza in the area, and woot woot..it directed me to Rebecca's Pepperoni Grill...we found it with just a few wrong turns..but we are so glad we did.
    There was a few patrons in the establishment eating pizza and watching football..so we grabbed a seat and the waitress came over a immediately and took our drink order..Tony was already drunk...he was that way when I picked him up but he still ordered a beer...big surprise!! Right..
    I ordered a Pepsi and we ordered a large pepperoni pizza with mushrooms, onions and jalapenos...when it came out ...it was HUGE...we ate a few pieces and then took the rest home..this pizza was Delicious!!! Delicious!!!
    I would definitely go to this restaurant again if and when I am in the area..I also noticed the people beside us had ordered spaghetti and meatballs and the serving was huge also!!! So I guess everything is big here!!! Our meal was only $35 with drinks, taxes and tip....not bad!!! I would definitely go here again..and I highly recommend to all to eat here.... A definite thumbs up!!

• Beer Tasting

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Old Stable Restaurant: Home of The Greatest Show on Earth!

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

I haven't eaten here, but I gather that the so-called "Greatest Show on Earth" at the Old Stable Restaurant isn't the circus, although that's where I've always heard that phrase applied. The Great Show is the "Mountain Dew Hillbillies"

The website says: .."but maybe being from where you are, you do not know what Hillbillies look like. But I will say, they are genuine. With their best pair of overalls and blue jeans, and socks and shoes to match (depending on what day of the week); they are sure to charm and entertain your group with their humor and musical talent."

At the end of the meal, they pass out songbooks and have a sing-along.

Just in case you know what hillbillies are, but do not know what Mountain Dew is - it is a soft drink. I do not know whether the actually serve it at this restaurant or not.

Favorite Dish: "The evening buffet consists of three meat entrees and five vegetables with cole slaw and dessert. Price is $27 per person (inclusive) and includes the Hillbilly Hat and Songbook. A Kentucky Mint Julep or a non-alcoholic Mint Julep Punch in a Keepsake Glass may be added, totaling $32 (inclusive) for the Super Party Package. In recent years, there has been a pronounced trend to do the whole package as tour planners have recognized what a tremendous evening this is and what a good way to put a good feeling in your group to start off a tour or a great way to sum up a tour."

• Music

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Old Talbott Tavern: On the Square

by grandmaR Written May 30, 2006

I have been in this building when I was looking for the trolley driver, but have not eaten here.

Town website said:
    Open daily. Built in 1779, this restaurant is the oldest Western stagecoach stop in America. The historic stone building has been a silent witness to an amazing panorama of events and an unending parade of visitors from kings to pioneers and presidents to renegades.

Favorite Dish: The sign on the side (3rd photo) says

The stone portion of the Talbott Tavern dates before 1790 - probably built to serve as Salam Academy. The first owner of record about 1800, Wm. Rose Hynes began to add brick wings to the stone part. He started the tavern operation with the first license about 1805. It became known as the Hynes House, serviing as a stage coach stop on the Louisville-Nashville Turnpike through the 19th century.

Another west side brick wing was added about 1840 and the resulting lobby area was enclosed by George Talbott in 1905. During his tenure the Hynes House became the Talbott Tavern. It has now operated continuously for 100 years offering food, drink and lodging to the travlers and guests from all over the world, both famous and commoner.

Front of building From the Welcome Cemter circle Sign

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Dagwood's: Local but with a nice touch - NOT just homecookin

by gkitzmil Updated Jul 1, 2004

Dagwoods -- two blocks NORTH of the town center on Spring Street -- West side of the street

More expensive than some other local eateries but many locals and visitors find it their favorite!

Favorite Dish: Great Bourbon Steaks!! and other fare

• CJD68's Profile Photo

Old Talbott Tavern: a touch of history with good southern cooking

by CJD68 Updated Aug 21, 2003

Bardstown is also home to a historic stagecoach stop, the Old Talbott Tavern, which is still serving great southern food. It counts Abraham Lincoln and Jesse James among its guests

Favorite Dish: Old Kentucky Hot Brown - Smoked turkey and sugar-cured Virginia baked ham, on toast points, smothered in Mornay sauce and melted cheddar cheese and topped with crisp bacon and tomato.

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Old Talbott TavernNOTE --...

by gkitzmil Written Oct 4, 2002

Old Talbott Tavern

NOTE -- UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP AS OF 9 - 19 - 2001

I cannot vouch for changes
    Travelers used to arrive on horseback or in buggies; today they come in automobiles. Tourists and locals mingle and lives intertwine in the 'ordinary,' a place to rest and receive nourishment before traveling on to their final destination.

The old stone reminder of Bardstown's beginnings still welcomes visitors to the bustling downtown area. Since the late 1700s, the Old Talbott Tavern on Court Square has provided shelter, food and drink to Kentucky travelers.

Talbott Tavern is said to be the oldest western stagecoach stop in America as the westward expansion brought explorers from the east into Kentucky.

Favorite Dish: Here are just a few of our favorites

Appetizers

Country Sausage Fondue
    Fresh country sausage in a blend of cheeses served with garlic toast and flour tortilla chips.

Baked Stuffed Mushrooms
    Large button mushrooms caps stuffed with Cajun sausage and topped with mozzarella and baked to a golden brown.

Fried Green Tomatoes
    A Southern classic with a twist! Beer battered slices topped with calamata olive pesto, shaved Parmesan and creamy ranch dressing.

Kentucky Burgoo
    By the cup
    By the bowl
    A local favorite! Slow simmered to perfection.

Lunch or Dinner

Old Kentucky Hot Brown
    Smoked turkey on toast points, smothered in Morney sauce and melted cheddar cheese and topped with crisp bacon and tomato.

• sdsmthomas's Profile Photo

Down Home Bar-B-Q: Best BBQ IN Bardstown, KY

by sdsmthomas Updated Apr 22, 2010

Home cooking, Real Smoked BBQ, Family owned and operated.

Favorite Dish: Ribs, Pulled Chicken sandwich, Smoked Chicken, awsome Baked Beans

Instant Answers: Bardstown

Bardstown Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bardstown restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bardstown sightseeing.