Louisville Restaurants

The Mayan Cafe
    by shrimp56
  • One of the hearty regional Mexican dishes
    One of the hearty regional Mexican...
    by shrimp56
    Our decadent dessert!
    by charlenemixa

Most Recent Restaurants in Louisville

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Troll Pub under the Bridge: Troll Pub under the Bridge

by butterflykizzez04 Written Aug 18, 2014

August 1, 2014 while goofing around in Louisville, checking out the cemetery and churches, we wanted to eat somewhere NEW and FUN..so I did a search on my Yelp.com app on my smart phone and located this pub..it wasn't that far from where we were already and there is a convenient public parking garage within a half click from their front door..so off we went..

We found it very easily thanks to my googlemap app on my phone and we parked in the garage for only $2..we walked over to the Pub and Noel took some photo selfies and ops with the TROLL statue outside the entrance.. The entrance is Below the street level located in the original basement of the old building.

The door is heavy wood with awesome troll iron door handle, it is so cool. We went inside and was greeted immediately..we were showed to our seat.. we opted to get sodas for us ladies..and Tony went with a Budweiser draft..but I wanted him to try one of the local brews also so we tried a 4oz draft for FREE..can't beat that..

I ordered a light chicken veggie soup with half of club sandwich while Noel went for the chicken alfredo pasta and Tony went with a Basil Pesto pasta...only complaint not enough of the garlic toast..we had to ask for more and they again brought tiny tiny pieces of bread..not sure what was up with that..
    My soup was good..I would definitely order it again..
    Prices were good, food was good, the building decor was awesome..I would go here again and highly recommend anyone else in the area to check it out as well..let me know what you think of the place...

• Beer Tasting

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Nord's Bakery: Nord's Bakery

by butterflykizzez04 Written Aug 17, 2014

August 1, 2014, Tony, Noel and I was kicking it around Louisville enjoying the day..It was so sunny and lovely..I found this lovely bakery via my Yelp.com app on my smartphone...

It wasn't hard to find once I got to the neighborhood, but getting to the neighborhood, I had to use my googlemaps app on my smart phone..what did we do before SMARTPHONES??? Hughtow did we make it??/

Once we got to the bakery, found a spot out front about 1/2 click down the block. We parked for free ( on street parking free ) and walked back to the bakery. We got there about 1pm...so the donuts were made earlier in the morning..but there was still a nice selection. The owner waited on us personally. The shop was so cute and lovely, small but just what you need for a more enjoy intimate setting.

We each ordered a pastry each and something to drink. She asked me if we had been here before and we said...NO, we are from Nashville, TN..she was so friendly and she asked us how we found her and I told her about YELP site and she seemed so pleased.
    We seated ourselves up the few wooden stairs in the dining room area and about 5-7 minutes later she joined us and handed us a box of assorted pastries..she said something FREE to take home and enjoy on your drive back to Nashville..It was full of donuts, pastries and a Kentucky Shaped sugar cookie..it was so very nice of her..

I spent only $5 on 3 pastries and one coffee, oj and soda...that was very reasonable and then she brought us the great to go box of freebies...what a nice lady. What a nice shop...what a nice time...I would definitely go back there again!!! Great pastries and they were so fresh and wonderful...I highly recommend you going to this wonderful bakery if you are ever in the area..

Wagner's Pharmacy: Grab Breakfast after Barn & Backside Tour

by charlenemixa Written Aug 8, 2014

We were recommended to have breakfast after our Barns & Backside Tour by the Visitor Center and our tour guide of the Barn & Backside Tour of the Kentucky Derby Museum. This a combination pharmacy and restaurant across the street from the backside of Churchill Downs. It is stopping place for a meal for jockeys, trainers, managers and workers of the Downs. Plus it has a good breakfast, reasonable price, nostalgia and memorabilia. It was unique and fun! Sitting at the counter we enjoyed breakfast and also looking memorabilia. It was here that many contracts were signed and horses traded. It is not fancy so remember you are going for the history as well as the down home food.

Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse: Excellent -GLITZY Restaurant

by charlenemixa Written Aug 8, 2014

Dining with Friends we had a superb dinner in this restaurant with its Glitzy decor. The service was very good. My husband's 9 oz filet was perfectly done and my oysters were delicious. They basically have an a la carte menu. The portions are large. The sides are meant to share. Prices are on the high side but they attempt to make up for it with volume and service. It is connected by a hallway the Galt House Hotel making it very convenient for us.

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

The Oakroom Restaurant: Five Diamond Dining!

by charlenemixa Written Aug 8, 2014

Our Louisville finale is dinner at Kentucky’s only AAA Five Diamond Restaurant, The Oakroom Restaurant at The Seelbach Hilton Louisville. Its rich wood décor adds warmth to the pristine white tablecloths and petite vases of fresh red roses on each table. Sharing with Chef Patrick Roney our preference for seafood, he prepares a sensational five course dinner with an array of bold, flavorful dishes. Each imaginative and inspired dish is beautifully presented by a staff that is attentive to all the details for a fine dining experience. Our first course is a scrumptious Maine Lobster Bisque, followed by the Green Goddess Millionaire Salad featuring fresh heart of palm, avocado and a delicate green goddess, white balsamic dressing. Chef’s passion for flavorful seafood dishes continues with a Cioppino combining scallops, mussels, clams, lump crab in a fennel puree with a crunchy rouille crouton, followed by a succulent, fresh Seared Sea Scallop with white and green asparagus, and then a melt in your mouth halibut filet. Chocolate Decadence Awaits! The finishing touch is the Chocolate Passion Fruit with multiple layers of rich dark, milk, and white chocolate mousse accompanied by passion fruit ganache and passion fruit coulis. We agree that The Oakroom definitely sets the standard for a fine dining across the Bluegrass state with an award-winning culinary team that creates an incredible dining experience. Cheers to The Oakroom and Louisville!

A fine dining experience for a Special occasion or celebration.

Our decadent dessert!

Proof On Main: 21C's Restaurant

by John195123 Written Feb 19, 2014

Proof gets rave reviews. It's a good restaurant. Great booze selection, excellent service, interesting menu.

When I went there, however, I felt that the menu at the time was trying to hard to sound good. It was a, "Hey, let's make people think this dish is great by adding bacon," a problem that seems to plague restaurants. Maybe I should clarify: many restaurants take a dish, either good enough in its own right, or lacking bulk or flavor, and try to make it more appealing by adding something like bacon. We all love bacon (if we eat meat) and who can argue with the added grease and flavor of bacon?

Well, it's not always necessary. It's like lobster. I don't understand the obsession with lobster. Lobster may taste great, but it's one of those ingredients that makes people feel like they're getting something amazing, just by the fact that it's lobster. Who cares if it's cooked properly, it's lobster! Oh boy!

Thinking about the menu, simple is often better. If there is consensus that a dish lacks something, don't fill in with bacon. Make something else for the dish.

Maybe I'm just being a whiny foodie, but I know when mediocre is covered up with bacon. I'll still eat it, of course... and I'll still enjoy it. Understand, that what is good isn't always gourmet- a fast-food hamburger can be excellent. But also understand that what is wrapped in bacon or what comes with a bib and melted butter doesn't immediately equate to quality.

Three majorly overused ingredients: Bacon, lobster and sugar.

So, back to Proof. Everything we had was good, but not spectacular. I expected more, considering the reviews. I can only assume that my standards are too high for this type of restaurant, that the head chef was out and the chefs didn't care, or that the reviewers have different standards than I do. Or maybe they had more to drink.

Regardless, try it out, tell me what you think!

Bottom line: Would I go back? Well, considering the menu probably changes, yes. I would.

Favorite Dish: Marrow. Perfectly done.

Garage Bar: A bar... in a garage

by John195123 Written Feb 19, 2014

The first time I had pizza at the Garage Bar, everything had a burned flavor to it. The crust was a bit black, but it seemed that the pizza wasn't burned, but had been flavored by something else that had burned. The calzone was excellent, though.

Since then, I've been back and have been very happy with the pizzas.

Milkwood: Chef Edward Lee

by John195123 Written Feb 19, 2014

I've seen countless reviews of how great Chef Lee is. I know he's great and wonderful.

You know what I learned after visiting Milkwood? I didn't need to go back. The food was definitely above par, but it was also not amazing. I have nothing against Chef Lee. I expected the best from him, and maybe because my expectations were so high, it was hard to come up to that standard, but I don't think so. It's not that the preparations were "too complicated" or above my palate. I've been to many a superb restaurant, and Milkwood was just not up there. Maybe it was the day, but Chef was there that day.

If you're a gourmet, a foodie, or fan of Chef Lee, it's worth at least one visit. Let me know if you'd go back.

Zanzabar (Z): Unique and Good

by John195123 Written Feb 18, 2014

These guys make great American food, have live music and a solid bar. Atmosphere may be a bit on the rougher side, but we went with kids and all was well!

Favorite Dish: The Bread Pudding... amazing. Made with Nord's doughnuts and just amazing.

LUNCH LINE • cafeteria style • TUE - FRI: 11AM - 2PM

DINNER • SUN - THUR: 5PM-10PM • FRI - SAT: 5PM - 12AM

Bombay Grill: Southern Indian Cuisine

by John195123 Written Feb 18, 2014

Lunch buffet and dinner menu.

Bombay Grill isn't far from Shalimar, but the food, in my experience, is much better. Maybe it's just different. Bombay Grill brings Southern Indian cuisine to Louisville, and amid the dosas, a wide selection of naan, and various specialty dishes, you won't be disappointed.

The atmosphere, admittedly, isn't anything special. Center tables surrounded by booths in an open room with mirrors, but minimal decor otherwise, doesn't scream, "I'm trying too hard to be an authentic Indian restaurant," which is good. It's simple, functional and very pleasant- not getting overly noisy, even when full.

If you're a fan of Indian food and you haven't been here, I think you'll like it.

Lunch Buffet

5:00 PM til 9:30 PM
    Saturday and Sunday
    5:00 PM til 10:00 PM
    Closed on Tuesdays

Favorite Dish: I haven't had anything I didn't like.
    The mango Lhassi is good, and they have a decent selection of wine and beer.

My favorite dish:

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

J. Graham's Cafe: Enjoy a Hot Brown at the Brown Hotel

by etfromnc Written Nov 20, 2012

J Graham's Cafe offers bistro-style casual dining in one of the finest hotels in America. I cannot afford to stay there but I love the world famous Hot Brown sandwich. They also have local produce so fresh that you may feel an urge to walk out back and check out the garden. Open for breakfast and lunch, from 7 AM to 2 PM, the Cafe offers guests a contemporary a la carte menu or full buffet option including gourmet soups, salads, and entrees as well as a decadent dessert display Tuesday-Friday.

Favorite Dish: The Hot Brown, a local variation on Welsh rarebit was first served here in 1926. A proud member of the open-faced sandwich family, the original Hot Brown recipe used white bread, turkey, and bacon, all covered in Mornay sauce and broiled until brown and toasty. J. Graham’s Cafe still serves the Hot Brown, as originally presented but I understand that imitations and variations are found at other cafes in the Louisville and Lexington area. The most common, and widely reviled, variation seems to revolve around replacing the Mornay sauce with American cheese.
    The buffet ranges from $13 - $17 and the Hot Brown will set you back $15.

• Business Travel

BEST AND WORST: A NOTE ABOUT THESE REVIEWS

by John195123 Updated Feb 12, 2012

I wanted to provide a brief introduction to my restaurant reviews. Many members review the best restaurants in their pages and don't mention the mediocre or worst. I'd like to provide a thorough assessment of Louisville's restaurants, good and bad.

I consider myself to be a serious foodie and the quality of a restaurant is, therefore, complex. I look at overall quality as well as individual aspects of quality from entering the restaurant to leaving. Not all of these reviews reflect that as many were written prior to this updated review cycle.

As a foodie, I look for the best foods I can afford, either to cook or to order at a restaurant. That's not to say I eat steak and lobster every night (steak and lobster are overrated). That is to say, though, that if I eat out at a restaurant that is reputed to be good, or that claims to be good, it should not fail those expectations. I'm well aware that I'm a food snob, but do note that, for me, being a food snob does not prevent enjoyment of simpler foods, from street vendors to certain fast foods.

What I'm trying to do with these reviews is to look at these restaurants from a foodie's perspective to provide the readers with a unbiased assessment of the restaurant. I'm not being negative just for the sake of being negative and using the anonymity of the internet to air my angers at the world. (I have no particular food favorites and am not picky about individual ingredients, so one culture's cuisine won't always reign supreme over all others. I like food from all cultures.) I'm doing this to provide feedback to restaurants and consumers so that improvements can be made and the best foods and services provided to discerning customers and travelers. I wouldn't want to travel someplace in search of interesting and exotic foods only to find another American chain. I want authentic, I want fresh, I want hand-made- and I assume that other travelers want that as well.

One note for any restaurant out there: KC Masterpiece is not a selling point for barbeque. How many of the best barbeque places in the world use that? Not many. So why try to sell your food on a mediocre store-bought sauce?

So, to begin, how do we define good food? Is one cut of meat really better than any other.

More later.

• John195123's Profile Photo

Smokey Bones: Smokey Bones? Don't bother...

by John195123 Written Feb 8, 2012

This is allegedly a barbeque joint. If you hold any love for the culinary wonderfulness (new word) that is barbeque, stay far away from barbeque that fails not only its namesake, but the meat it's designed to serve.

Smokey Bones may have decent service and a kid-friendly (lots of background noise) atmosphere, but it does not fulfill the BBQ quotient. Poor quality meat, insipid sauce... that's what I remember of our visit. For a serious foodie and a lover of BBQ, I was not simply disappointed, but also astonished at what passed for BBQ at this restaurant.

Louisville isn't really known for barbeque, but we have a few excellent places, noted in other reviews. If you're going out for barbeque, I can't say that the food here is worth the trip. In fact, I can say that we were utterly disappointed in the disservice that this place did to barbeque that we never want to go back.

***I must note that their other food may be just fine- I didn't try most everything else they had. But this is a chain restaurant, I believe, and if so, the food is about par with other chains.***

The Blind Pig: Blind Pig? Blind Palate

by John195123 Written Feb 8, 2012

The Blind Pig combines the ambience of an old "industrial" building with pig meat in its many forms. They make their own sausages and have a decent selection of libations for the more discerning drinkers. Yet, like many restaurants, they fall down in certain areas.

Service at the Blind Pig is just fine, the appetizers are decent. But their mains were not quite as good as they could have been and the pumpkin dessert was unsweetened,,,... Probably an oversight, but shows lack of care and consideration on the chef's part.

21C's Proof on Main: Good, not great

by John195123 Written Feb 8, 2012

One of the draws of Proof on Main is its attachment to 21C Museum Hotel, noted as one of the top hotels in the country, and, as the restaurant's name implies, is located on Main Street in downtown Louisville.

I get the feeling that this restaurant is very impressed with itself. It is attached to a hotel that displays some bizarre and interesting art, and it seems that this is a "see-and-be-seen" joint, especially on weekend nights.

All that said, the staff is typically friendly and, especially early in the evening, (on a week night) is happy to accomodate infants and kids (hopefully well-behaved ones). The decor of the restaurant is fairly basic when compared with the museum and hotel, but its simplicity is elegant.

The service on our visit was without fault. It was neither overly-attentive nor lacking, and the server had a good grasp on the menu and drink offerings. Our server was impressed with my order of straight bourbon (Pappy Van Winkle, I believe) and was further impressed by our order of the bone marrow appetizer. That's not tooting our horn, but may suggest that those particular items were not often ordered, despite their more elegant or gourmet nature.

The food itself probably holds a better reputation that it deserves. An eater used to the chain restaurant fare would consider Proof to be superb, yet those with a more qualified palate might have looked at the marrow as simply trying to be gourmet. Similar to the way wrapping food in bacon is an attempt to elevate the main ingredient by making it feel richer or more decadent, the bone marrow seemed to do the same for the menu and did not fully reflect marrow's true culinary potential.

The cucumber soup was not as expected. Again, this was an attempt by the chef to be clever and different and exemplifies the problem with Proof- they haven't quite hit the food flavor ("deliciousness") mark as well as they might have hit the inventiveness mark for a Louisville restaurant). Yet, the soup, amounting to a thin cucumber puree with toasted bread crumbs and grape/cherry tomatos worked pretty well.

It should be of note that we can't recall what we had for entrees- not exactly the effect for which a stellar restaurant should shoot, but indicative of the overall disappointment we felt in Proof's menu considering its many positive reviews.

One of our desserts was a plum pudding, which was nothing like the heavy, British style of pudding and more a fresh plum fruit pudding. The taste was good, but it just wasn't as expected.

Keep in mind that the dishes described may not be on the menu if and when you visit, but they are presented to represent the restaurant's style.,

As you've probably gathered from this review, we weren't exceedingly impressed with Chef Michael Paley's restaurant. He clearly holds promise, but we didn't feel that the food was up to par with the concept or quality of the hotel and Proof felt like more of a place for people to begin to appreciate gourmet foods than a place for true foodies to get their fix, a place for people to feel like they're eating top quality. Unfortunately, it just wasn't up there with the best.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Louisville

Comments

Louisville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Louisville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Louisville sightseeing.