Louisville Restaurants

The Mayan Cafe
    by shrimp56
  • One of the hearty regional Mexican dishes
    One of the hearty regional Mexican...
    by shrimp56
    Seviche
    by riorich55

Most Recent Restaurants in Louisville

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Palermo Viejo Authentic Argentine Restaurant: Are You a Meat Lover? - Part 2

by riorich55 Updated Jun 30, 2010
    Cocida

Alright, so here is the 2nd page for Palermo. I've included the 4 pictures of our food, from the appetizer, to both our dishes, to our tasty dessert.

Just to continue a little more of the story from our visit. As the evening progressed the restaurant started to get a bit busier. Since it was a Monday night (usually a slow night for good eating restaurants) it still had plenty of empty seats, but everyone appeared to really enjoy themselves.

When we ordered dessert the man behind us with his wife (he is a lobbyist and his wife is a dentist) said the dessert is one of the main reasons they keep coming back. His wife loves the crepe with carmel sauce and banana ice cream which we decided to share. We had a pleasant conversation with the both of them and naturally I mentioned VT to them. I gave them the VT website and also my handle (that's a word he used for my home page - I haven't heard that used since the old trucker CB radio days)

Favorite Dish: Let me talk about each food item picture by picture.

Picture 1 - The Appetizer- Cocida which consisted of grilled asparagus, smoked provolone, portabella milanesa mushroom, a garlic rubbed roasted tomato and sweet potato fries, served with a dijon mustard dipping sauce. At $7.00 well worth it.

Picture 2 - Steve's Main Dish - 8 oz Lomo - They list it on the menu as 6 oz terderloin at $16.00 and then add $1.50 per ounce. Renee said they don't cut the meat until ordered. They also cook it in their own charcoal grilled oven and then serve it on its own small little cooker to keep it warm.

Picture 3 - My Main Dish - Parrillada De Bifes - I'll take that as different cuts of meat since it had a ribeye, NY strip, and flank steak along with chorizo sausage served on a bed of french fries with a delicious sauce I didn't get the name of. Now, I'm really not a big beef eater so for me to say this was really good really means something. I naturally couldn't finish all of it, so Steve helped with a few bites.

Picture 4 - Dessert - The aforementioned crepe with caramel sauce (forgot the spanish name) with banana ice cream. We originally planned on getting dessert at a local favorite ice cream place closer to the hotel, but this sounded so good we went for it. The local place will have to wait until next trip.

If you are in Louisville and looking for a great place to eat with a great atmosphere this is it.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Palermo Viejo Authentic Argentine Restaurant: Are You a Meat Lover? - Part 1

by riorich55 Written Jun 30, 2010
    The Best Places Always Look Different

A co-worker and I ate here on our last night in town. I had spent 10 nights in Louisville over a 3 week period and I wanted to make sure I had a really nice meal. And Palermo did not disappoint.

I had passed this restaurant by the night before when I had arrived in town for the last 2 days of a training class we were conducting. It was closed that night, Sunday, but I looked inside and thought this might be a good place to try. Did a little research on line back at the hotel and almost every review was either a 4 star or 5 star, so I said that's the place for tomorrow.

We arrived around 6:00 p.m. and there was a couple at one table and a few ladies at the bar area. We got to choose where we could sit in the "L" shaped dining area and we chose to sit near the window so we could see people come in and also window watch outside. They also have several tables outside, but the road is a little busy and it was still very humid so indoor was a good option.

Our server, Renee, introduced herself and gave us our wood stitched with leather menu. That, along with the leather coverings on the table and right then and there I said this is the start of something good. I had eaten at another restaurant down the road on my last trip to Louisville last September and loved their homemade sangria and when I saw this on the menu here we ordered a carafe of their homemade sangria which included chunks of fresh fruit. Needless to say it was yummy and made the food served all that much better.

Since I took more pictures then would fit on VT's 5 picture tip limitation I will continue this with the food pictures on the next tip. READ ON!!

Favorite Dish: Wait until you see the food on the next tip. You will be drooling!!!

• Architecture

Irish Rover: Great Pub Grub

by Dester Updated Nov 7, 2009

The historic Clifton-Crescent Hill neighborhood of Louisville is one of the coolest areas of the city. Right on Frankfort Ave. is one of the best restaurants. The Irish Rover is much like the old-time Irish pubs, the owner comes direct from County Clare, Ireland and all of his food is exceptional.

Closed on Sunday

Favorite Dish: I personally like the fish and chips and scotch egg, but also tasted the burgers which are great. Whenever I go to Louisville this is where I eat.

• Dester's Profile Photo

Irish Rover: Best Fish-n-Chips Around.

by Dester Written Nov 7, 2009

The historic Clifton-Crescent Hill neighborhood of Louisville is one of the coolest areas of the city. Right on Frankfort Ave. is one of the best restaurants. The Irish Rover is much like the old-time Irish pubs, the owner comes direct from County Clare, Ireland and all of the food is exceptional.

• Dester's Profile Photo

Irish Rover: Best Fish-n-Chips Around.

by Dester Written Nov 7, 2009

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

Johnny V's: NY Pizza Pub!

by leeludalas Written May 31, 2009

Johnny V's is a pizza pub located in J-Town on Watterson Trail. It's a pub atmosphere with TV's for the sports minded. The pizza is very good. New York style. Brews on tap are very reasonably priced. The owner, Johnny V, is a great guy originally from NY but relocated to Lville. His hospitality alone is one reason to visit the joint. Also try their famous sub, the "spiedie".

Favorite Dish: NY style pizza with any topping you want!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Lynn's Paradise Cafe: Funky, Fun and Fresh!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 12, 2009

Lynn's Paradise Cafe

I found this restaurant on a website called Roadside America - I wanted to stop because of the "world's largest coffee pot" outside of the restaurant. What I found was a funky and fun restaurant with really good food! The outside is very whimsical - besides the coffee pot, there are hand-shaped chairs, wood cutouts where you put your face in the hole, funky statuary - and tons of flowers (fake - it is January after all!).

You enter through the World of Swirl gift shop, which had awesome fun stuff - I bought a "Male Nurse" action figure for a friend.

I was seated immediately at the bar, and started taking note of my surroundings. There are two trees "growing" from the floor to the ceiling, wrapped in lights. There are funky lamps and lampshades everywhere. There are banners and streamers handing from the ceiling. At my table was a lampshade made from men's neckties, and a suit of armour lamp that someone had decorated with multi-colored glitter glue.

I was very happy that my server, Alex, let me know I could get a half-order of the breakfast I wanted - as it was, I had trouble finishing my meal. It was delicious, and I will DEFINITELY return the next time I am in Louisville.

Favorite Dish: I had a half order of the Bourbon Ball French Toast - two large slices of cinnamon swirl bread, battered and lightly fried, with bourbon vanilla custard, candied pecan's, chocolate and whipped cream - yummy! The amazing thing is that it was NOT very sweet - the flavors balanced out and it was simply scrumptious! Recipe was taken from Bobby Flay (with proper credit given on the menu).

The half-order above and a cup of coffee (well, three cups, but you only pay for one) came to $10 with tax, without tip. Not bad at all!

• Women's Travel

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

The Old Spaghetti Factory: Good, Cheap Eats!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 11, 2009

The entrance

The Old Spaghetti Factory is known for it's very inexpensive meals, and for re-imagining historic buildings. The location in Louisville is no exception - it is located in what used to be the famous Levy Department Store. You walk through huge glass and brass doors to enter the restaurant and are greeted by plush, antique seating in the waiting area. The bar is located upstairs and the downstairs eating area features a train caboose replica that you can actually dine in. Antiques decorate the walls and eclectic tables and chairs of all shapes and sizes adorn the dining rooms - some of them attached to bed headboards and footboards.

The menu offered at The Old Spaghetti Factory ranges from simple spaghetti with marinara sauce, to lasagna, to jumbo crab ravioli. All meals are served with fresh baked bread, tossed salad, a beverage (coffee, hot tea, iced tea, or milk) and a scoop of spumoni ice cream for dessert. Most meals on The Old Spaghetti Factory menu are in the $8.00-$12.00 range. There are very few restaurants where you can get that much food for such a small amount of money. Don't think for a minute that the inexpensive prices mean low quality food. The dishes at The Old Spaghetti Factory are superb in taste and quality. Everything from The Old Spaghetti Factory's famous Italian sodas to their incredibly tasty Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter Pasta, is simply delicious.

Favorite Dish: I've always loved the spaghetti with Mizithra Cheese, but I've started ordering the Potpourri, which is a sampler of Mizithra Cheese, marinara, clam, and meat sauce. Granted, it starts off pretty with the flavors carefully segregated, but it ends up being mixed together on the plate and being sopped up with yet another loaf of hot fresh bread. Yummy!

• StephenFante's Profile Photo

Smoketown USA: Don't Miss The Ribs and the Great Yard Sale Item's

by StephenFante Written Aug 14, 2008

I couldn't help but notice that Smoketown USA was not listed on your sight. It is the best BBQ in town so I thought I would shoot you a quick email. Smoketown USA is located in the Smoketown neighborhood at the corner of Logan and Oak and is locally owned by Eric and Lynn Gould. Ohi its a BBQ, one of Eric's favorite statements is how you may be greeted upon your arrival. Its kind of like eating at your favorite Aunt's house. Its hard to find a restaurant that you can feel at home in. Lynn Gould is ate up with yard sales. She incorporates the items throughout the restaurant for sale giving the place an ever changing feel. While enjoying their signature ribs and some of the best greens you will ever eat you may like the table you are sitting at. Just call Eric over and make him an offer you may just be loading it up after dinner to take home with you. The art on the wall is for sale, priced and changes frequently. You owe it to yourself and your readers to check this place out. It is truly a home town find. I know from my frequent visits the food is consistent and their catering business is growing fast. I overheard Eric mention that he is planning the second annual chili cook off. Last year it was a great success with live bands and lots of booths with some great chili. Stop in and ask Eric about the details. 1153 Logan Street Louisville Ky, 40204 502-409-9180 www.smoketownusa.com
    Stephen Fante

Favorite Dish: The Flintstone Beef Ribs... Oh My Oh My..

• Cycling

• last_train's Profile Photo

J. Gumbo's: Great Cajun Cuisine on the quick!

by last_train Written May 27, 2008

This is a small chain restaurant, where you order your food at the counter and it is delivered to your table. I was quite surprised how good the Cajun food was. They have all levels of spiciness and all of your favorite dishes from red beans and rice to gumbo.

Favorite Dish: In addition to the great Cajun entrees, they have excellent deserts as well. I would recommend both the peach cobbler and the bread pudding. Wonderful!

• last_train's Profile Photo

Joe's Crab Shack: Right on the Ohio River!

by last_train Written May 26, 2008

Joe's Crab Shack is pretty much standard American seafood chain restaurant. Most of the dishes are fried and greasy. You are not going to find adventurous seafood here. Alot of shrimp and standard fare.

This particular location is very nice. It is right on the Ohio River and has some nice views of the boating on the river.

Favorite Dish: The popcorn shrimp is awfully good. It probably isn't too healthy, but it sure tastes great!

• MDUBYAZ's Profile Photo

Brendan's: Drinks yes, Culinary no

by MDUBYAZ Written May 13, 2008

Brendan's

A very typical pub setting, yet the layout of the bar is well-planned along with the decour. It was very slow when we went, on a Sunday night, but I was told by many locals one of the best pubs in town. The food, um, another story. We were foolish enough to try "Little John" sandwich, and of course, there was nothing little about it. A fried chicken(it looked like the whole chicken), with a fried egg on top, bacon, cheese, and garnishment. Could feed a family of 6. Not to be eaten without a fair supply of pebto bismol.

Favorite Dish: Not the little john sandwich

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Cunningham's: Best Fish Sandwich in the Ville

by BigBlueOne Written May 13, 2008

This is a little dive bar, but located closely to some of the more expensive areas of Louisville, so you get a little mix of all kinds of people.

Sitting right on a creek near the Ohio, the ambience is cool because you can watch people coming and going on their boats.

Favorite Dish: The grouper sandwich is my favorite in the city.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Motorcycle

• Pig City BBQ: New BBQ Place that's top notch

by FoodKritic Written Aug 24, 2007

As a self-certified BBQ restaurant guru, I've been in plenty of BBQ places around the country. You better visit Pig City BBQ before some big chain snatches them up and messes the whole concept up.
    They smoke with cherry wood, so it's not bitter tasting smokey meet. The pulled pork had a lot of smoke, but somehow wasn't dried out. It actually had my bun a little soggy!!!. They had 4 good sauces and 2 great sauces (KC and Texas hot). The ribs were super tender and not dry, which i can't figure out how they do that since they aren't slathered up in a bunch of sauce (they are memphis style). The brisket is Texas style REAL brisket and was cut-with-a-fork tender.
    And then we tried the KC style burnt ends. They are the only place in know in Louisville where you can get them. WOW.
    Chicken was so-so. We've eaten there about 10 times since they opened.
    My wife loves the sides, especially the cheesey potatoes and real deviled eggs.
    And guess what? no farm baskets with paper, they had plates and silverware, and the bathrooms were WAY upscale for a bbq place.
    If you visit Louisville and have to have good bbq, this is your spot.

Favorite Dish: Chicken wings as an app, pulled pork was smokey and moist and brisket. but i'm a guy...so i love all the meats.

• Business Travel

• meccostaud's Profile Photo

Proof on Main: Ultracool

by meccostaud Written May 30, 2007

Classy, ultra-contemporary restaurant on Main, at the 21c hotel. Flawless service, friendly staff, and a fabulous maitre-d..

Favorite Dish: 3 words: Octopus Bagna Cauda. WOW....tender octopus cooked in garlic butter and served in a small cast-iron skillet...better than the 'pulpo' we had in Spain (I hope my Spanish friends don't read this)

Instant Answers: Louisville

Comments

Louisville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Louisville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Louisville sightseeing.