Louisville Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Louisville

Seviche: Latin Fusion - Good Stuff

by riorich55 Written Aug 9, 2011

Again, I'm writing this tip almost 2 years after the fact. But since I've been cleaning up things in my house I ran across the receipt which helped jog my memory of this really good restaurant. I was on a road trip with a co-worker going from Indianapolis to Louisville to Cincinnati to Cleveland, so we were on the 2nd leg of our trip. I had been to Louisville a couple of times before and had been on Bardstown Road, so when I got to the hotel I looked at a map and found Seviche in an advertisement. It looked like my type of place so away we went for about an 8 mile ride.

Favorite Dish: We started out our evening with some home made Sangria which was probably the best Sangria I have ever tasted. Not too sweet, but with each sip you wanted to keep this going all night long. For our befores we had a spinach and pear salad along with some empanadas (which were listed as MR and GC), they were light and flakey and as you can see from picture #2 were presented very well. Needless to say we cleaned our plates off.

Then it was on to the main course. My co-worker had a very good (according to her) roasted organic chicken which indeed did look delicious. Whenever I see sea bass on the menu my stomach always starts its argument to order it and once again it won out over the other equally impressive items on the menu. It came with a side of fava beans which I don't think I'd ever had by themselves. But the two together set each other off just perfectly.

The afters we had were a custard flan and the picture you see here was the banana chimichanga. Now there is always room for dessert after a meal and these 2 were just out of this world.

I've made a trip back to Louisville since then, but the one night I attempted to go to Seviche they had a private party. Darn. If you ever are in town this is my #1 recommended restaurant.

Seviche Empanadas Crusted Sea Bass Banana Chimichanga
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse atop the Kaden Tower

by Tom_Fields Updated Apr 4, 2011

An excellent, if rather pricey, restaurant. The best part is the great view of the city from atop the Kaden Tower. This unique Frank Lloyd Wright design is controversial; most people either love it or hate it.

Favorite Dish: Hard to say. Everything is good.

The Kaden Tower
    • Architecture

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Bluegrass Brewing Company: quaint brewpub with good food

by gkitzmil Updated Aug 8, 2010

A very nice neighborhood pub/eatery that has fabulous beers and really satisfying food!

Altbier 1996 Great American Beer Festival Bronze medal winner, this is BBC's all time best-seller. A medium bodied amber ale with a mild hop finish, this well balanced beer will appeal to beer connoisseurs as well as the average beer drinker

American Pale Ale 1998 Real Ale Fest, Best of Fest Winner, this rich, copper colored ale features a full-bodied, hoppy flavor supported by generous amounts of malt. The recipe was carefully developed for the local palate and has become a favorite of BBC's regular guests

Dark Star Porter 1997 Real Ale Fest Winner and named after the 1953 Kentucky Derby winner, this traditional English style ale has a robust yet smooth flavor. A subtile hint of chocolate malt flavor fins its way through this very dark ale which features a spicy hop finish.

Favorite Dish: brick-oven pizzas -- I love them but other food is really good, too

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Bluegrass Brewing on Fourth (near Broadway): Delicious Food and wonderful beer....

by gkitzmil Written Aug 8, 2010

Very cute location with great indoor + outdoor seating (for Spring, Summer, Fall) BUT the FOOD is fabulous. Seriously! I went for the beer originally plus the added fact that you can bring your dog on part of the outside seating. But now I go back as this has become one of my favorite restaurants. The Chef formerly worked at the Brown (across the Street) and turns out a delicious Hot Brown (a dish for which Louisville is famous). But the menu is filled with great offerings from vegetarian dishes (many of them) to pizza, to entrees, to appetizers. This is not an old fas

Favorite Dish: I really like the Pizza Margarita, but everything I have had from this menu is great. However, if you like great beer this is our place. The German Style Alt beer (an unusual amber typical of Dusseldorf) is a good everyday beer. They have fabulous beer aged in Bourbon barrels. Their Bourbon Barrel smoked beer is very unusual (and probably not for everyone) but I love it. The Bourbon Barrel Rye has a great flavor. Note: these bourbon barrel beers have 7.5-8% alc. compared to about 5% in 'commercial' beers -- but their regular taps are more traditional.

Cardinal Hall of Fame Cafe: U of L Sports Memorabilia

by riorich55 Updated Jul 1, 2010

My very first night in town a few weeks back after a long drive down from Fort Wayne, we didn't really want to search too long and hard for a place to eat. So as I usually do if I don't have anywhere specific in mind, I will ask the person at the front desk of the hotel what they would recommend that is close by. Whenever you get a young person (someone under the age of 30) at the desk, they will always start by rattling off the near by chain restaurants. I usually stop this "chain pitch" before they get started, but she started straight on until I said how about something local and not a chain. She then directed me to the Cardinal Cafe about 1 1/2 miles from the hotel and even gave me a coupon for a free appetizer.

2 co-workers and myself went in and sat in 1 of 2 dining areas they had. Usually when a place is average I don't really remember too much what I ate and in the case of the Cardinal HOF Cafe the food was fine, just not very original or memorable.

Anyway, the next night a bigger group was in town and guess where they wanted to go? The Louisville HOF Cafe, so day 2 in Louisville and I've only eaten at 1 place. The next week the group again wanted to go here. Again, because I wasn't paying but the local manager was I again went along for the chance to talk about war stories from days past.

Don't get me wrong, the place is ok, just not a place I would go back to 3 out of the first 4 nights in town. They have a lot of interesting sports history pictures and other assorted memorabilia from the University of Louisville which is right down the road. A unique feature is that they have large TV's scattered throughout and then small TV's at every little booth if you choose to sit there.

Check out the website below if you want to see the menu selections.

Entrance to 4th Street Live Part of the Inside The HOF Walkway

Palermo Viejo Authentic Argentine Restaurant: Are You a Meat Lover? - Part 2

by riorich55 Updated Jun 30, 2010

Alright, so here is the 2nd page for Palermo. I've included the 4 pictures of our food, from the appetizer, to both our dishes, to our tasty dessert.

Just to continue a little more of the story from our visit. As the evening progressed the restaurant started to get a bit busier. Since it was a Monday night (usually a slow night for good eating restaurants) it still had plenty of empty seats, but everyone appeared to really enjoy themselves.

When we ordered dessert the man behind us with his wife (he is a lobbyist and his wife is a dentist) said the dessert is one of the main reasons they keep coming back. His wife loves the crepe with carmel sauce and banana ice cream which we decided to share. We had a pleasant conversation with the both of them and naturally I mentioned VT to them. I gave them the VT website and also my handle (that's a word he used for my home page - I haven't heard that used since the old trucker CB radio days)

Favorite Dish: Let me talk about each food item picture by picture.

Picture 1 - The Appetizer- Cocida which consisted of grilled asparagus, smoked provolone, portabella milanesa mushroom, a garlic rubbed roasted tomato and sweet potato fries, served with a dijon mustard dipping sauce. At $7.00 well worth it.

Picture 2 - Steve's Main Dish - 8 oz Lomo - They list it on the menu as 6 oz terderloin at $16.00 and then add $1.50 per ounce. Renee said they don't cut the meat until ordered. They also cook it in their own charcoal grilled oven and then serve it on its own small little cooker to keep it warm.

Picture 3 - My Main Dish - Parrillada De Bifes - I'll take that as different cuts of meat since it had a ribeye, NY strip, and flank steak along with chorizo sausage served on a bed of french fries with a delicious sauce I didn't get the name of. Now, I'm really not a big beef eater so for me to say this was really good really means something. I naturally couldn't finish all of it, so Steve helped with a few bites.

Picture 4 - Dessert - The aforementioned crepe with caramel sauce (forgot the spanish name) with banana ice cream. We originally planned on getting dessert at a local favorite ice cream place closer to the hotel, but this sounded so good we went for it. The local place will have to wait until next trip.

If you are in Louisville and looking for a great place to eat with a great atmosphere this is it.

Cocida 8 oz Lomo Parrillada De Bifes Crepe with Caramel Sauce and Banana Ice Cream

Palermo Viejo Authentic Argentine Restaurant: Are You a Meat Lover? - Part 1

by riorich55 Written Jun 30, 2010

A co-worker and I ate here on our last night in town. I had spent 10 nights in Louisville over a 3 week period and I wanted to make sure I had a really nice meal. And Palermo did not disappoint.

I had passed this restaurant by the night before when I had arrived in town for the last 2 days of a training class we were conducting. It was closed that night, Sunday, but I looked inside and thought this might be a good place to try. Did a little research on line back at the hotel and almost every review was either a 4 star or 5 star, so I said that's the place for tomorrow.

We arrived around 6:00 p.m. and there was a couple at one table and a few ladies at the bar area. We got to choose where we could sit in the "L" shaped dining area and we chose to sit near the window so we could see people come in and also window watch outside. They also have several tables outside, but the road is a little busy and it was still very humid so indoor was a good option.

Our server, Renee, introduced herself and gave us our wood stitched with leather menu. That, along with the leather coverings on the table and right then and there I said this is the start of something good. I had eaten at another restaurant down the road on my last trip to Louisville last September and loved their homemade sangria and when I saw this on the menu here we ordered a carafe of their homemade sangria which included chunks of fresh fruit. Needless to say it was yummy and made the food served all that much better.

Since I took more pictures then would fit on VT's 5 picture tip limitation I will continue this with the food pictures on the next tip. READ ON!!

Favorite Dish: Wait until you see the food on the next tip. You will be drooling!!!

The Best Places Always Look Different We Came in Early at 6:00 p.m. The Wood and Leather Stripped Menu What to Choose?
    • Architecture

Irish Rover: Great Pub Grub

by Dester Updated Nov 7, 2009

The historic Clifton-Crescent Hill neighborhood of Louisville is one of the coolest areas of the city. Right on Frankfort Ave. is one of the best restaurants. The Irish Rover is much like the old-time Irish pubs, the owner comes direct from County Clare, Ireland and all of his food is exceptional.

Closed on Sunday

Favorite Dish: I personally like the fish and chips and scotch egg, but also tasted the burgers which are great. Whenever I go to Louisville this is where I eat.

I'm a big guy and I eat  my fill for ten bucks.

• Dester's Profile Photo

Irish Rover: Best Fish-n-Chips Around.

by Dester Written Nov 7, 2009

The historic Clifton-Crescent Hill neighborhood of Louisville is one of the coolest areas of the city. Right on Frankfort Ave. is one of the best restaurants. The Irish Rover is much like the old-time Irish pubs, the owner comes direct from County Clare, Ireland and all of the food is exceptional.

This is a seven dollar lunch

• Dester's Profile Photo

Irish Rover: Best Fish-n-Chips Around.

by Dester Written Nov 7, 2009

This is a seven dollar lunch

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

Johnny V's: NY Pizza Pub!

by leeludalas Written May 31, 2009

Johnny V's is a pizza pub located in J-Town on Watterson Trail. It's a pub atmosphere with TV's for the sports minded. The pizza is very good. New York style. Brews on tap are very reasonably priced. The owner, Johnny V, is a great guy originally from NY but relocated to Lville. His hospitality alone is one reason to visit the joint. Also try their famous sub, the "spiedie".

Favorite Dish: NY style pizza with any topping you want!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Lynn's Paradise Cafe: Funky, Fun and Fresh!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 12, 2009

I found this restaurant on a website called Roadside America - I wanted to stop because of the "world's largest coffee pot" outside of the restaurant. What I found was a funky and fun restaurant with really good food! The outside is very whimsical - besides the coffee pot, there are hand-shaped chairs, wood cutouts where you put your face in the hole, funky statuary - and tons of flowers (fake - it is January after all!).

You enter through the World of Swirl gift shop, which had awesome fun stuff - I bought a "Male Nurse" action figure for a friend.

I was seated immediately at the bar, and started taking note of my surroundings. There are two trees "growing" from the floor to the ceiling, wrapped in lights. There are funky lamps and lampshades everywhere. There are banners and streamers handing from the ceiling. At my table was a lampshade made from men's neckties, and a suit of armour lamp that someone had decorated with multi-colored glitter glue.

I was very happy that my server, Alex, let me know I could get a half-order of the breakfast I wanted - as it was, I had trouble finishing my meal. It was delicious, and I will DEFINITELY return the next time I am in Louisville.

Favorite Dish: I had a half order of the Bourbon Ball French Toast - two large slices of cinnamon swirl bread, battered and lightly fried, with bourbon vanilla custard, candied pecan's, chocolate and whipped cream - yummy! The amazing thing is that it was NOT very sweet - the flavors balanced out and it was simply scrumptious! Recipe was taken from Bobby Flay (with proper credit given on the menu).

The half-order above and a cup of coffee (well, three cups, but you only pay for one) came to $10 with tax, without tip. Not bad at all!

Lynn's Paradise Cafe Bourbon Ball French Toast - yummy! Interior of Lynn's Paradise Cafe The World's Largest Coffee Pot Outdoor seating?
    • Women's Travel

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

The Old Spaghetti Factory: Good, Cheap Eats!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 11, 2009

The Old Spaghetti Factory is known for it's very inexpensive meals, and for re-imagining historic buildings. The location in Louisville is no exception - it is located in what used to be the famous Levy Department Store. You walk through huge glass and brass doors to enter the restaurant and are greeted by plush, antique seating in the waiting area. The bar is located upstairs and the downstairs eating area features a train caboose replica that you can actually dine in. Antiques decorate the walls and eclectic tables and chairs of all shapes and sizes adorn the dining rooms - some of them attached to bed headboards and footboards.

The menu offered at The Old Spaghetti Factory ranges from simple spaghetti with marinara sauce, to lasagna, to jumbo crab ravioli. All meals are served with fresh baked bread, tossed salad, a beverage (coffee, hot tea, iced tea, or milk) and a scoop of spumoni ice cream for dessert. Most meals on The Old Spaghetti Factory menu are in the $8.00-$12.00 range. There are very few restaurants where you can get that much food for such a small amount of money. Don't think for a minute that the inexpensive prices mean low quality food. The dishes at The Old Spaghetti Factory are superb in taste and quality. Everything from The Old Spaghetti Factory's famous Italian sodas to their incredibly tasty Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter Pasta, is simply delicious.

Favorite Dish: I've always loved the spaghetti with Mizithra Cheese, but I've started ordering the Potpourri, which is a sampler of Mizithra Cheese, marinara, clam, and meat sauce. Granted, it starts off pretty with the flavors carefully segregated, but it ends up being mixed together on the plate and being sopped up with yet another loaf of hot fresh bread. Yummy!

The entrance Train Caboose Dining area

• StephenFante's Profile Photo

Smoketown USA: Don't Miss The Ribs and the Great Yard Sale Item's

by StephenFante Written Aug 14, 2008

I couldn't help but notice that Smoketown USA was not listed on your sight. It is the best BBQ in town so I thought I would shoot you a quick email. Smoketown USA is located in the Smoketown neighborhood at the corner of Logan and Oak and is locally owned by Eric and Lynn Gould. Ohi its a BBQ, one of Eric's favorite statements is how you may be greeted upon your arrival. Its kind of like eating at your favorite Aunt's house. Its hard to find a restaurant that you can feel at home in. Lynn Gould is ate up with yard sales. She incorporates the items throughout the restaurant for sale giving the place an ever changing feel. While enjoying their signature ribs and some of the best greens you will ever eat you may like the table you are sitting at. Just call Eric over and make him an offer you may just be loading it up after dinner to take home with you. The art on the wall is for sale, priced and changes frequently. You owe it to yourself and your readers to check this place out. It is truly a home town find. I know from my frequent visits the food is consistent and their catering business is growing fast. I overheard Eric mention that he is planning the second annual chili cook off. Last year it was a great success with live bands and lots of booths with some great chili. Stop in and ask Eric about the details. 1153 Logan Street Louisville Ky, 40204 502-409-9180 www.smoketownusa.com
    Stephen Fante

Favorite Dish: The Flintstone Beef Ribs... Oh My Oh My..

• Cycling

• last_train's Profile Photo

J. Gumbo's: Great Cajun Cuisine on the quick!

by last_train Written May 27, 2008

This is a small chain restaurant, where you order your food at the counter and it is delivered to your table. I was quite surprised how good the Cajun food was. They have all levels of spiciness and all of your favorite dishes from red beans and rice to gumbo.

Favorite Dish: In addition to the great Cajun entrees, they have excellent deserts as well. I would recommend both the peach cobbler and the bread pudding. Wonderful!

Instant Answers: Louisville

Comments

Louisville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Louisville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Louisville sightseeing.