Louisville Restaurants

The Mayan Cafe
    by shrimp56
  • One of the hearty regional Mexican dishes
    One of the hearty regional Mexican...
    by shrimp56
    Seviche
    by riorich55

Best Rated Restaurants in Louisville

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

Seviche: Great ceviche, great atmosphere, great food!

by leeludalas Updated Mar 29, 2006

Formerly Jicama Grill. Latin American cuisine. Different types of ceviche including crab, crawfish, lobster, and shrimp. Entrees include Pan-roasted Florida snapper garnished with grilled tiger shrimp and crispy fried leeks, Mahi mahi tacos in soft tortillas with shredded cabbage and lime aioli. Nice patio for warmer weather. Parking is available in the adjacent Ear X-tacy parking lot.

Favorite Dish: Ask for the ceviche of the day. The best is a Hawaiian marlin served sushi grade with a wonderful gingery-fruit sorbet! Sounds wierd, but one of the best wierd combinations I've ever tried! The Mahi Mahi tacos are quite good as well.

Ramsi's Cafe on the World: Ramsi's offers many dishes from around the world

by leeludalas Updated Mar 29, 2006

Ramsi's is always crowded- and for good reason! There menu offers everything from bruschetta to falafel. The tables are a bit crowded together in the front room. Luckily, Ramsi's recently expanded to include a new indoor space and patio.

Favorite Dish: I have more than one!
    One of my favorites is Shivakumar- pineapple, snap peas, carrots and crispy chicken in curry sauce over rice.
    Also good- Mezze- a Mediterranean style platter which includes olives, Baba Ganoush, Hummus, Pita Bread, Peppers and Falafel.

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

Wick's Pizza: Wick's Pizza- Best in town!

by leeludalas Written Jan 23, 2004

Wick's has great pizza! It's relatively thin crust with tons of toppings. They also offer "Sandwicks", which are hoagie style sandwiches- everything from chicken and ranch to the classic stromboli. The Baxter Ave. location is my favorite- located in the Highlands. The bar side is best to sit on if you want to watch sports. Each booth along the wall has its' own small television. There are also 2-3 larger televisions (one big screen). Full bar has some good bottled imports, Sierra Nevada on tap (as well as others). Live music on weekends.

Favorite Dish: Veggie Stromboli or Veggie Delight Pizza

• Singles

Sapporo: Voted Best Sushi in Louisville

by leeludalas Written Jan 23, 2004

Sapporo on Bardstown Road offers sushi as well as an extensive Japanese menu. The atmosphere is upbeat, offering a sushi bar, table service, as well as hibachi grills. The sushi is good- very fresh yellowtail and salmon. They have other cooked dishes for those not into sushi. Modern atmosphere, semi "industrial" decor with neon, it's usually pretty crowded. Try the spicy green mussels or the wasabi shumai for appetizers. Voted "Best Sushi in Louisville" by LEO.

Favorite Dish: tuna tataki, salmon sushi, dynamite

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Lynn's Paradise Cafe: Funky, Fun and Fresh!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 12, 2009

Lynn's Paradise Cafe

I found this restaurant on a website called Roadside America - I wanted to stop because of the "world's largest coffee pot" outside of the restaurant. What I found was a funky and fun restaurant with really good food! The outside is very whimsical - besides the coffee pot, there are hand-shaped chairs, wood cutouts where you put your face in the hole, funky statuary - and tons of flowers (fake - it is January after all!).

You enter through the World of Swirl gift shop, which had awesome fun stuff - I bought a "Male Nurse" action figure for a friend.

I was seated immediately at the bar, and started taking note of my surroundings. There are two trees "growing" from the floor to the ceiling, wrapped in lights. There are funky lamps and lampshades everywhere. There are banners and streamers handing from the ceiling. At my table was a lampshade made from men's neckties, and a suit of armour lamp that someone had decorated with multi-colored glitter glue.

I was very happy that my server, Alex, let me know I could get a half-order of the breakfast I wanted - as it was, I had trouble finishing my meal. It was delicious, and I will DEFINITELY return the next time I am in Louisville.

Favorite Dish: I had a half order of the Bourbon Ball French Toast - two large slices of cinnamon swirl bread, battered and lightly fried, with bourbon vanilla custard, candied pecan's, chocolate and whipped cream - yummy! The amazing thing is that it was NOT very sweet - the flavors balanced out and it was simply scrumptious! Recipe was taken from Bobby Flay (with proper credit given on the menu).

The half-order above and a cup of coffee (well, three cups, but you only pay for one) came to $10 with tax, without tip. Not bad at all!

• Women's Travel

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Proof: Sophisticated work of art

by Joseph69 Updated Jan 21, 2007

View outside of Proof on Main

Proof must have been one of the best dining experiences I had the pleasure of experiencing. Jackie, Anita and myself had a wonderful lunch. We wanted to try each of our orders as it was the first time for all of us, and the staff had kindly cut each meal up into 3's and served it on seperate plates for the three of us to enjoy.

It's not just a place where you enter the restaurant, sit at your table and look straight at the menu. The whole place feels like an art gallery. There are great photos, paintings and a unique video on one of the walls of a guy having soup, and surrounding it is a painting of a table. Looks pretty cool! Even the toilets are interesting! The mirrors at the wash-basins have tiny screens with eyes that are looking around giving you the sensation that you're being watched!

When I went to the bathroom, the girls had organised a Mint Julep using the mint leaves we had bought the night before at the supermarket. So on my return, there was a delicious cocktail waiting for me to be enioyed with the mint leaves! Yummy!

To enter the restaurant itself, you must enter via a little musuem, making the experience all the better. It's America's first museum which is dedicated to hosting contemporary art from the 21st Century.

There is also a 91 room hotel all attached to this fine site, which is surely giving the historic downtown district quite a lift!

Favorite Dish: I loved the whole meal! The menus have a large influence of Italian cousine mixed in with their own style.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

The Old Spaghetti Factory: Good, Cheap Eats!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 11, 2009

The entrance

The Old Spaghetti Factory is known for it's very inexpensive meals, and for re-imagining historic buildings. The location in Louisville is no exception - it is located in what used to be the famous Levy Department Store. You walk through huge glass and brass doors to enter the restaurant and are greeted by plush, antique seating in the waiting area. The bar is located upstairs and the downstairs eating area features a train caboose replica that you can actually dine in. Antiques decorate the walls and eclectic tables and chairs of all shapes and sizes adorn the dining rooms - some of them attached to bed headboards and footboards.

The menu offered at The Old Spaghetti Factory ranges from simple spaghetti with marinara sauce, to lasagna, to jumbo crab ravioli. All meals are served with fresh baked bread, tossed salad, a beverage (coffee, hot tea, iced tea, or milk) and a scoop of spumoni ice cream for dessert. Most meals on The Old Spaghetti Factory menu are in the $8.00-$12.00 range. There are very few restaurants where you can get that much food for such a small amount of money. Don't think for a minute that the inexpensive prices mean low quality food. The dishes at The Old Spaghetti Factory are superb in taste and quality. Everything from The Old Spaghetti Factory's famous Italian sodas to their incredibly tasty Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter Pasta, is simply delicious.

Favorite Dish: I've always loved the spaghetti with Mizithra Cheese, but I've started ordering the Potpourri, which is a sampler of Mizithra Cheese, marinara, clam, and meat sauce. Granted, it starts off pretty with the flavors carefully segregated, but it ends up being mixed together on the plate and being sopped up with yet another loaf of hot fresh bread. Yummy!

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

North End Cafe': Good Place for Brunch!

by leeludalas Written Mar 29, 2006

North End Cafe' is situated in an old "shotgun" style house. The atmosphere is welcoming, the walls hung with works from local artists. Brunch on weekends is an excellent time to visit. The food is very fresh. The menu offers unique items such as "migas"- scrambled eggs with jalapenos, cheddar cheese and salsa, and orange spice french toast, as well as traditional items such as oatmeal and buttermilk pancakes. One strange breakfast item? Hushpuppies served with honey butter.

Favorite Dish: Migas- eggs with salsa, cheese, tortilla strips, jalapenos and home fries.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Raw Sushi: See the Raw Side...

by ATXtraveler Written May 3, 2007

One of our local co-workers in Louisville recommended that we meet in the 4th Street Live portion of town for dinner, and said that Raw was a new restaurant that could accommodate our group of 15. The atmosphere in the place was more like a night club than a restaurant, with fairly uncomfortable seating for such a large party. We rotated around quite often, and eating sushi from lounge chairs was not my idea of fun.

The food however was delicious. The fish was very fresh, and the sushi chefs had spent a healthy amount of time making these creations. I definitely recommend the "Fire" roll (pictured here) which is a concoction that gets set ablaze to bake in the cheese on top.

For those that like it a little spicier, I would recommend the dragon roll, and I also tried the RAW roll, which included tuna avocado and eel.

**As of April 2007, this restaurant was on AA RewardsNetwork, which makes you eligible for 10 miles per dollar spent!

• Beer Tasting

• Joseph69's Profile Photo

Joe's Knows Crabs: On the waterfront!

by Joseph69 Updated Jan 21, 2007

Joe's Knows Crabs restaurant

As soon as Jackie picked me up from the airport, we drove straight to Joe's Knows Crabs for dinner. We had some large cocktails and the servings of each meal (we had a mixture of nachos, calamari rings, etc) were quite huge! I gather they specialise in a selection of seafood.

It was a nice place to start and being on the waterfront, a very nice spot also.

• John195123's Profile Photo

BEST AND WORST: A NOTE ABOUT THESE REVIEWS

by John195123 Updated Feb 12, 2012

I wanted to provide a brief introduction to my restaurant reviews. Many members review the best restaurants in their pages and don't mention the mediocre or worst. I'd like to provide a thorough assessment of Louisville's restaurants, good and bad.

I consider myself to be a serious foodie and the quality of a restaurant is, therefore, complex. I look at overall quality as well as individual aspects of quality from entering the restaurant to leaving. Not all of these reviews reflect that as many were written prior to this updated review cycle.

As a foodie, I look for the best foods I can afford, either to cook or to order at a restaurant. That's not to say I eat steak and lobster every night (steak and lobster are overrated). That is to say, though, that if I eat out at a restaurant that is reputed to be good, or that claims to be good, it should not fail those expectations. I'm well aware that I'm a food snob, but do note that, for me, being a food snob does not prevent enjoyment of simpler foods, from street vendors to certain fast foods.

What I'm trying to do with these reviews is to look at these restaurants from a foodie's perspective to provide the readers with a unbiased assessment of the restaurant. I'm not being negative just for the sake of being negative and using the anonymity of the internet to air my angers at the world. (I have no particular food favorites and am not picky about individual ingredients, so one culture's cuisine won't always reign supreme over all others. I like food from all cultures.) I'm doing this to provide feedback to restaurants and consumers so that improvements can be made and the best foods and services provided to discerning customers and travelers. I wouldn't want to travel someplace in search of interesting and exotic foods only to find another American chain. I want authentic, I want fresh, I want hand-made- and I assume that other travelers want that as well.

One note for any restaurant out there: KC Masterpiece is not a selling point for barbeque. How many of the best barbeque places in the world use that? Not many. So why try to sell your food on a mediocre store-bought sauce?

So, to begin, how do we define good food? Is one cut of meat really better than any other.

More later.

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

The Cheddar Box: Yum Yum and Yum!!

by leeludalas Written Oct 7, 2006

Crazy busy, but worth it. Great food! You can get takeout if you want but it is good to eat in too. Great salads, the tomato artichoke soup is excellent.

Favorite Dish: Salad plate. You can choose 3 pastas or salads. House salad is excellent with pecans and a homemade balsamic vinegar, as well as tuna with granny smith apples, and then curry chicken salad. Never a disappointment!

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Seviche: Latin Fusion - Good Stuff

by riorich55 Written Aug 9, 2011

Seviche

Again, I'm writing this tip almost 2 years after the fact. But since I've been cleaning up things in my house I ran across the receipt which helped jog my memory of this really good restaurant. I was on a road trip with a co-worker going from Indianapolis to Louisville to Cincinnati to Cleveland, so we were on the 2nd leg of our trip. I had been to Louisville a couple of times before and had been on Bardstown Road, so when I got to the hotel I looked at a map and found Seviche in an advertisement. It looked like my type of place so away we went for about an 8 mile ride.

Favorite Dish: We started out our evening with some home made Sangria which was probably the best Sangria I have ever tasted. Not too sweet, but with each sip you wanted to keep this going all night long. For our befores we had a spinach and pear salad along with some empanadas (which were listed as MR and GC), they were light and flakey and as you can see from picture #2 were presented very well. Needless to say we cleaned our plates off.

Then it was on to the main course. My co-worker had a very good (according to her) roasted organic chicken which indeed did look delicious. Whenever I see sea bass on the menu my stomach always starts its argument to order it and once again it won out over the other equally impressive items on the menu. It came with a side of fava beans which I don't think I'd ever had by themselves. But the two together set each other off just perfectly.

The afters we had were a custard flan and the picture you see here was the banana chimichanga. Now there is always room for dessert after a meal and these 2 were just out of this world.

I've made a trip back to Louisville since then, but the one night I attempted to go to Seviche they had a private party. Darn. If you ever are in town this is my #1 recommended restaurant.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Bluegrass Brewing on Fourth (near Broadway): Delicious Food and wonderful beer....

by gkitzmil Written Aug 8, 2010

Very cute location with great indoor + outdoor seating (for Spring, Summer, Fall) BUT the FOOD is fabulous. Seriously! I went for the beer originally plus the added fact that you can bring your dog on part of the outside seating. But now I go back as this has become one of my favorite restaurants. The Chef formerly worked at the Brown (across the Street) and turns out a delicious Hot Brown (a dish for which Louisville is famous). But the menu is filled with great offerings from vegetarian dishes (many of them) to pizza, to entrees, to appetizers. This is not an old fas

Favorite Dish: I really like the Pizza Margarita, but everything I have had from this menu is great. However, if you like great beer this is our place. The German Style Alt beer (an unusual amber typical of Dusseldorf) is a good everyday beer. They have fabulous beer aged in Bourbon barrels. Their Bourbon Barrel smoked beer is very unusual (and probably not for everyone) but I love it. The Bourbon Barrel Rye has a great flavor. Note: these bourbon barrel beers have 7.5-8% alc. compared to about 5% in 'commercial' beers -- but their regular taps are more traditional.

• StephenFante's Profile Photo

Smoketown USA: Don't Miss The Ribs and the Great Yard Sale Item's

by StephenFante Written Aug 14, 2008

I couldn't help but notice that Smoketown USA was not listed on your sight. It is the best BBQ in town so I thought I would shoot you a quick email. Smoketown USA is located in the Smoketown neighborhood at the corner of Logan and Oak and is locally owned by Eric and Lynn Gould. Ohi its a BBQ, one of Eric's favorite statements is how you may be greeted upon your arrival. Its kind of like eating at your favorite Aunt's house. Its hard to find a restaurant that you can feel at home in. Lynn Gould is ate up with yard sales. She incorporates the items throughout the restaurant for sale giving the place an ever changing feel. While enjoying their signature ribs and some of the best greens you will ever eat you may like the table you are sitting at. Just call Eric over and make him an offer you may just be loading it up after dinner to take home with you. The art on the wall is for sale, priced and changes frequently. You owe it to yourself and your readers to check this place out. It is truly a home town find. I know from my frequent visits the food is consistent and their catering business is growing fast. I overheard Eric mention that he is planning the second annual chili cook off. Last year it was a great success with live bands and lots of booths with some great chili. Stop in and ask Eric about the details. 1153 Logan Street Louisville Ky, 40204 502-409-9180 www.smoketownusa.com
    Stephen Fante

Favorite Dish: The Flintstone Beef Ribs... Oh My Oh My..

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Louisville

Comments

Louisville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Louisville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Louisville sightseeing.