Louisville Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Louisville

Bombay Grill: Southern Indian Cuisine

by John195123 Written Feb 18, 2014

Lunch buffet and dinner menu.

Bombay Grill isn't far from Shalimar, but the food, in my experience, is much better. Maybe it's just different. Bombay Grill brings Southern Indian cuisine to Louisville, and amid the dosas, a wide selection of naan, and various specialty dishes, you won't be disappointed.

The atmosphere, admittedly, isn't anything special. Center tables surrounded by booths in an open room with mirrors, but minimal decor otherwise, doesn't scream, "I'm trying too hard to be an authentic Indian restaurant," which is good. It's simple, functional and very pleasant- not getting overly noisy, even when full.

If you're a fan of Indian food and you haven't been here, I think you'll like it.

Lunch Buffet

5:00 PM til 9:30 PM
    Saturday and Sunday
    5:00 PM til 10:00 PM
    Closed on Tuesdays

Favorite Dish: I haven't had anything I didn't like.
    The mango Lhassi is good, and they have a decent selection of wine and beer.

My favorite dish:

Zanzabar (Z): Unique and Good

by John195123 Written Feb 18, 2014

These guys make great American food, have live music and a solid bar. Atmosphere may be a bit on the rougher side, but we went with kids and all was well!

Favorite Dish: The Bread Pudding... amazing. Made with Nord's doughnuts and just amazing.

LUNCH LINE • cafeteria style • TUE - FRI: 11AM - 2PM

DINNER • SUN - THUR: 5PM-10PM • FRI - SAT: 5PM - 12AM

Milkwood: Chef Edward Lee

by John195123 Written Feb 19, 2014

I've seen countless reviews of how great Chef Lee is. I know he's great and wonderful.

You know what I learned after visiting Milkwood? I didn't need to go back. The food was definitely above par, but it was also not amazing. I have nothing against Chef Lee. I expected the best from him, and maybe because my expectations were so high, it was hard to come up to that standard, but I don't think so. It's not that the preparations were "too complicated" or above my palate. I've been to many a superb restaurant, and Milkwood was just not up there. Maybe it was the day, but Chef was there that day.

If you're a gourmet, a foodie, or fan of Chef Lee, it's worth at least one visit. Let me know if you'd go back.

Garage Bar: A bar... in a garage

by John195123 Written Feb 19, 2014

The first time I had pizza at the Garage Bar, everything had a burned flavor to it. The crust was a bit black, but it seemed that the pizza wasn't burned, but had been flavored by something else that had burned. The calzone was excellent, though.

Since then, I've been back and have been very happy with the pizzas.

Proof On Main: 21C's Restaurant

by John195123 Written Feb 19, 2014

Proof gets rave reviews. It's a good restaurant. Great booze selection, excellent service, interesting menu.

When I went there, however, I felt that the menu at the time was trying to hard to sound good. It was a, "Hey, let's make people think this dish is great by adding bacon," a problem that seems to plague restaurants. Maybe I should clarify: many restaurants take a dish, either good enough in its own right, or lacking bulk or flavor, and try to make it more appealing by adding something like bacon. We all love bacon (if we eat meat) and who can argue with the added grease and flavor of bacon?

Well, it's not always necessary. It's like lobster. I don't understand the obsession with lobster. Lobster may taste great, but it's one of those ingredients that makes people feel like they're getting something amazing, just by the fact that it's lobster. Who cares if it's cooked properly, it's lobster! Oh boy!

Thinking about the menu, simple is often better. If there is consensus that a dish lacks something, don't fill in with bacon. Make something else for the dish.

Maybe I'm just being a whiny foodie, but I know when mediocre is covered up with bacon. I'll still eat it, of course... and I'll still enjoy it. Understand, that what is good isn't always gourmet- a fast-food hamburger can be excellent. But also understand that what is wrapped in bacon or what comes with a bib and melted butter doesn't immediately equate to quality.

Three majorly overused ingredients: Bacon, lobster and sugar.

So, back to Proof. Everything we had was good, but not spectacular. I expected more, considering the reviews. I can only assume that my standards are too high for this type of restaurant, that the head chef was out and the chefs didn't care, or that the reviewers have different standards than I do. Or maybe they had more to drink.

Regardless, try it out, tell me what you think!

Bottom line: Would I go back? Well, considering the menu probably changes, yes. I would.

Favorite Dish: Marrow. Perfectly done.

• John195123's Profile Photo

Lynn's Paradise Cafe: Paradise, under one roof...

by John195123 Written Feb 3, 2004

What a place. The food is quite good. It's well-prepared, fresh and hot.
    Hours:

8:00am-10:00pm

Lynn's in the snow

Amici Cafe: Decent Italian in Old Louisville

by shrimp56 Written Feb 13, 2013

A relaxed cafe/restaurant with good Italian food. Recent reviews are mixed, although still worth a try. The artichoke and tomato soup gets raves.

Amici Cafe

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

The Magnolia Bar: It's MAG!!!

by shrimp56 Updated Jan 19, 2013

Dark and funky and a mainstay of the Old Louisville community. Read the website for the full effect. Its jukebox is rumored to be the best in the city.

• Gay and Lesbian

• John195123's Profile Photo

Well, Louisville has many...

by John195123 Written Sep 7, 2002

Well, Louisville has many excellent restaurants. I think my favorite is the Vietnam Kitchen, serving real Vietnamese food.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
    Real Vietnamese food, and not expensive.

The Mayan Cafe: Locavore Mexican

by shrimp56 Written Feb 13, 2013

Really good food, not your usual Mexican fare. The dishes are a mixture of traditional and modern with an emphasis on local and fresh drawn from the Mayan culture in Mexico.

The Mayan Cafe One of the hearty regional Mexican dishes

3rd Avenue Cafe **CLOSED**: Tasty lunch in a friendly setting **CLOSED**

by shrimp56 Updated Jan 19, 2013

Alas now closed, this establishment was kitschy and eclectic and served tasty casual food. And you could have your picture taken with Elvis. LOL

3rd Ave Cafe, alas now closed:( Delish tuna salad sandwich

Babylon

by John195123 Written Feb 3, 2004

I have never sat at this restaurant, but I have eaten their food. While it was very good, it, by nature, was greasy. But, I'd go again any day.
    Note the juxtaposition with Papa John's.... mmmm pizza

Babyon

Quarter Poel Lounge

by John195123 Written Feb 3, 2004

This bar is near Churchill Downs, but seems kind of seedy. It may be the location, and I've never been inside, but I do want to go sometime.

Quarter Pole Lounge

Instant Answers: Louisville

Comments

Louisville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Louisville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Louisville sightseeing.