Louisville Sports & Outdoors

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Triple A Baseball with the Louisville Bats

by riorich55 Updated Apr 3, 2011
    Entrance in the Outfield Section

In 2010 I did a lot of company business travel in the United States for my former employer Pepsi. One of the advantages of traveling with Pepsi is that in a lot of cities they provide the beverages for sale and if they do they usually have really good tickets and in some cases a box to entertain clients in. So in 2010 when I knew I was going to travel a lot I made it a point to check out the sports schedules in the different towns I was going to visit so I could possibly secure a ticket to a game.

I spent most of June in Louisville and Louisville has a Triple A Baseball Club called the Louisville Bats who play at Louisville Slugger field. For those of you not familiar with American Baseball, I'll tell you that an AAA team is just one level below the top level or the Major Leagues. The players who do really well at AAA will eventually move up to the Major League level. The Louisville Bats team is an affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds MLB team. Not too far down the street from the field where the Louisville Bats play is the home of the Louisville Slugger company which makes most if not all of the bats for the players on the professional level. Thus the name of the field and the team nickname.

Pepsi had the field as an account and also had a special box where we could dine on hot dogs, hamburgers, have a beer and soda and some other typical baseball food treats. You can do this all inside in the comfort of the box and then you can go outside to your outside seating area.

I think the Louisville Bats won the night we were there, but when you are not rooting for any particular team you tend to forget that.

The field has a nice view (seen in picture 2) of one of the bridges that crosses the Ohio River when you are entering Kentucky from Indiana.

It seems kind of funny that the statue I have pictured in picture #1 is that of an American Football player called Paul Hornung who played professionally for the Green Bay Packers. But Paul Hornung is originally from Louisville.

Equipment: Maybe a baseball glove if you want to try to catch a foul ball or home run.

• rw-bigfoot's Profile Photo

Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory

by rw-bigfoot Updated May 7, 2007

this is just less than five miles north of Church Hill Downs
    GET 10% OFF IN THE GIFT SHOP!
    Click link to receive a coupon worth 10% off in the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory Gift Shop.

Admission

$9 Adults (13-59)

$8 Seniors (60+)

$4 Kids (6-12)

Kids 5 and younger are free

Group rates are available for 20 or more with advance reservations. Call 1-877-7-SLUGGER (877-775-8443) option 2 or email group.sales@slugger.com for more information or to book a tour.

HOURS:
    Guided factory tours begin at 9:00am and continue every 20 minutes until the last tour of the day at 4:00pm. Factory tours last approximately 30 minutes. We cannot guarantee you will see full bat production on any tour. Visitors normally allow an hour and a half to 2 hours for the entire museum experience. Everyone will receive a miniature souvenir bat on the tour!

Equipment: Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory is located on the corner of 8th and Main in the heart of downtown Louisville. You can’t miss us-just look for the World’s Biggest Bat! A parking garage operated by the city is conveniently located directly behind our building and some street parking is available.

Heading West on I-64: Exit on 3rd Street. Right onto River Rd. and left onto 8th Street. Parking garage on the right.

Heading East on I-64: Cross Sherman Minton Bridge. Exit on Roy Wilkins Blvd. Left on Market Street and left onto 8th Street. Parking garage is on the left.

From I-71 and I-65 take the I-64 West ramp and follow directions above heading west on I-64.

• Adventure Travel

• maspad's Profile Photo

Louisville Bats

by maspad Written Apr 25, 2007

If you're visiting Louisville during baseball season and have 1/2 a day to kill, go and see professional baseball players use the bats that made Louisville famous. The Louisville Bats, the city's minor league team, play in beautiful and easily accessible Slugger Stadium. Tickets are cheap, the food is your typical stadium food, and there isn't a bad seat in the house.

• RIPKEN_HOF's Profile Photo

Louisville Slugger factory

by RIPKEN_HOF Written May 16, 2005

You can’t miss us – just look for the world’s tallest bat!
    See the bat factory. Actually get a tour of the bats' being made.
    Then see the Museum.

Equipment: some peanuts, popcorn an cracker-jacks

• Museum Visits
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Louisville

Comments

Louisville Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Louisville sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Louisville sightseeing.