Mount Sterling Travel Guide

• Mount Sterling
  • Mount Sterling
    by Krumlovgirl
  • this pic reminds me of
    this pic reminds me of "Stand By Me"

Mount Sterling Things to Do

by cfranchise Written Feb 19, 2006

A 50 feeling drive in. You can take the kids to watch a movie.

The Drive in is only open in the summer.

Sign leading in The Screen

by cfranchise Written Feb 19, 2006

A big flea market outside! Hundreds of vendors come to down town Mount Sterling. You can find everything to clothes, to food, to guns, etc! I suggest everyone once in there life come to Court Day. The city of Mount Sterling shuts down for it. Plus, everything is really cheap!

Court Day is usually around Oct. 14-16. I'm not sure about the date do to city council might be changing it.

A normal day at Court Day
    • Festivals

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 2, 2005

If you're into driving around and looking for old houses to walk around and explore then you'll definitely like Mt. Sterling and the surrounding area. There are many,many old homes to look at. Downtown itself is full of them and there are even a couple of abandoned mansions right off of Main Street that will give you a start. That's before you even get to the countryside.

Now, I'm not endorsing Breaking and Entering by any means. If I was, my stalker (who seems to read my pages and reviews religiously) would call me into the local police as soon as this is posted since she's always trying to find something to get me into trouble for. BUT, you can still take pictures and walk around and admire the architecture.

Note: If you do manage to get inside anywhere let me know and send me the photos. I love a good story.

Added note: Once my friend and I were walking around an old plantation house that we thought was empty. Turned out the owner was home. He was getting ready to do some major renovation and was so excited that we were interested he gave us the grand tour.

an old house that I like

Mount Sterling Hotels

Mount Sterling Restaurants

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 2, 2005

Did it lose something when it moved locations? Well, that’s debatable. But this Frosty Freeze is still one of the best. I think it’s the chili dogs. Or the peanut butter milkshakes. Actually, I haven’t ever tried anything else there. I’ve been eating there for 25 years and never had anything but chili dogs. Used to, you had to walk up to a window and order. Now you can go inside and sit down and it’s a lot less messier that way. Unfortunately, Mt. Sterling is being taken over by chain restaurants so this is one of the few opportunities you’ll get for eating at a local place. I highly recommend it.

Berryman's

Mount Sterling Shopping

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

by Ericasmurf99 Written Jul 25, 2007

Ruth Tharpe Hunt served homemade sweets to her bridge club. In 1921 she decided to start a small candy business. Today, still located in Mt. Sterling, Ruth Hunt Candies remains a Kentucky landmark...

What to buy: "Blue Monday" candy bar, pulled cream candy and bourbon balls.

Mount Sterling Warnings and Dangers

• by DAROLDPATT234 Written Dec 10, 2009

MY FAMILY LIVED IN THIS HOUSE FOR YEARS. AT FIRST IT USED TO BE A ONE ROOM SCHOOL HOUSE. AND LATER ON DOWN THE ROAD A WAR BROKE OUT AND IT WAS USED FOR A HIDE OUT AND A HOSPITAL, FOR WOUNDED SOLDIERS. AND AS THE MEN LYING THERE HELPLESSLY, A GROUP OF OTHER SOLDIERS CAME IN AND KILLED THEM. IF YOU GO TO THE FAR LEFT SIDE OF THE HOUSE THERE WILL BE A LITTLE TRAIL THAT LEADS TO A SHED THAT HAS SOME OF THE OLD SCHOOL BOOKS IN TI. AND YOU CAN GO DOWN PAST THE BARN OUT INTO THE FIELD AND FIND A WAR TRENCH. I NEVER BEEN DOWN IN THE TRENCH, BUT PEOPLE SAID THAT IT LEAD TO THE HOUSE BASEMENT. BUT REALLY ITS A COOL SIGHT TO SEE, SO GO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOUR SELF. AND WHILE WE LIVED THERE, THERE WERE PLENTY OF GHOST SIGHTINGS IN AND AROUND THE HOUSE.

Mount Sterling What to Pack

by cfranchise Written Feb 19, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I suggest coming in the summer. Bring shorts, t shirts, sun glasses, cans of bug spray, sun block (Kentucky sun is pretty strong).

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Most can be bought here. Plus they are pretty cheap.

Photo Equipment: Bring a camara. Just like any trip.

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Mount Sterling

Comments

Mount Sterling Travel Guide
Map of Mount Sterling