Owenton Travel Guide

Historic Marker on the Courthouse Square
  • Owen County Courthouse, Owenton, Kentucky
    Owen County Courthouse, Owenton,...
  • Owen County Courthouse, Owenton, Kentucky
    Owen County Courthouse, Owenton,...

Owenton Things to Do

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you want to know what's going on in Owenton, read The News-Herald. It's been keeping the folks of Owen County informed since 1868.

Even the very smallest of towns in the United States usually has a newspaper, although it may only be published once a week.

You won't find much world news in such papers. But you can learn who bought a piece of property, who was arrested for drunk driving, which church is having special services and how the local high school teams are doing. You might even read who in the community had out-of-town visitors last weekend.

The News Herald also has an online edition. You can click it up and read it using the link below.

The News-Herald Office, Owenton, Kentucky

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 13, 2007

As I travel about the United States in my quest to visit each one of the 3,141 counties or their equivalents in this great land, people often ask me what counts as a county visit. The answer is simple. I must either step foot inside the boundaries of the county, or the wheels of the vehicle in which I am riding must cross the county line.

There are some county collectors who try to take a picture of themselves in front of every courthouse or use some other means to prove that they were there. Personally, I don't want thousands of pictures of me in front of courthouses. My goal is to simply see some point of interest in each county. It may be a park (national, state or local), a lighthouse, old mill, covered bridge, city skyline, interesting business, tourist attraction, museum, historic site or whatever else of interest I may find.

Some counties have dozens of things I would like to see and I could spend weeks exploring them. Even the most remote and nondescript county has some unique claim to fame, but it may take a little digging to find it. In a few counties, the most significant thing I can find in a limited amount of time is the Court House. At least when I am there, I know I have been to the very heart (or is it seat?) of the county.

The stately old red brick Owen County Courthouse dates back to 1875 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Owen County Courthouse, Owenton, Kentucky Owen County Courthouse, Kentucky Owen County Courthouse, Kentucky
    • Architecture

• Owenton Hotels

0 Hotels in Owenton

Owenton Warnings and Dangers

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 13, 2007

As I was standing in front of the Owen County Courthouse taking a picture a lady franically ran out the front door, yelling at me to please come and help her as she dashed across the lawn. From a window in the courthouse she had seen a local woman fall on the sidewalk across the street, apparently having a seizure of some type.

Before I could reach the lady, other folks had come rushing out of a local business and were trying to assist her. Someone with a cell phone was already calling 911.

An ambulance arrived on the scene within an amazingly short time. EMS personnel assisted the woman, and within a few minutes she was placed on a stretcher, put into the ambulance, and whisked away.

I was of little help, and wouldn't have known what to do anyway. It did my heart good to see how well quickly the Emergency Medical System responded in this situation. I hope someone calls 911 for me if I'm ever in a similar situation.

Ambulance Responding to 911 Call

Instant Answers: Owenton

Comments

Owenton Travel Guide
Map of Owenton