Richmond Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Richmond

Local Author Keven McQueen

Keven McQueen

Favorite thing: Keven is one of my good friends and has written several good books about the area. He teaches English at EKU and we were tour guides together at White Hall. He is known right now for his book entitled “Legends to Lunatics: Offbeat Kentuckians.” He has a thing for the strange and unusual and like me loves trivia and history. He also wrote a really good biography on Cassius Clay. It’s probably the best one out there. I know for a fact that he has a great love of the area and is very knowledgeable not just about Richmond but Madison County in general. IF you’re down here and you know he’s going to be doing an event then it’s worth checking him out. If you plan on coming to the area and are interested in learning a little more then you can find his books either online or in any of the local bookstores.

Ron Isaacs, Local Artist

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 12, 2005

Favorite thing: Ron Isaacs is a genius. That’s all there is to it. While he doesn’t have a store, his stuff is sold all over the country. He uses plywood and acrylic paint and makes these wonderful 3-D displays that look like real clothes. Except it’s wood! You have to see it to believe it. Once I saw one of his designs and from a distance it looked like a wedding dress. A really beautiful wedding dress. As I got closer and closer it STILL looked like a wedding dress. It took me forever to figure out that it was plywood. I don’t have any photos of his work but you can check out the weblink below to look at his stuff. He has things for sale at the Artisan Center in Berea right now and they go pretty high.

On a side note, I worked as his model for two years while I was in college and his wife was my art teacher in high school. (The two years I went-I graduated early.) When I left he did a portrait of me and gave it to me as a gift. It’s hanging in my mom’s living room now and is one of our favorite things.

EKU Theatre Productions

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 12, 2005

Favorite thing: I am pretty impressed with play at EKU. And it doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that I was part of the theatre department. J They generally do about four plays a year and try to make two of them musicals. In the past they’ve had “Cabaret” (awesome), “Grease” (not so good), “The Diary of Anne Frank”, and “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Ticket prices are sometimes cheaper than going to a movie and students get discounts. It’s also a pleasant way of spending the evening and putting money back into the community and college. For a schedule try

although it won’t be updated until after the semester starts.

Fondest memory: (859) 622-1315

Battle of Richmond Reenactment

Battlefield House

Favorite thing: If you’re into reenactments, the Battle of Richmond reenactment is certainly one of the biggest in the area. People come from all over, much like the Siege reenactment at Ft. Boonesboro. To start things off, on the 26th they have a living history day where you can walk around and get a glimpse of how life was at the time. People will be dressed up and in character and it’s a really fun experience. They’re generally very knowledgeable. The Battle then takes place Aug. 27-28 (2005). One thing that is really cool about this reenactment is that it actually takes place on part of the land where the real battle was. Other reenactment sites don’t have this luxury.

Note: photo taken by me

Fondest memory: http://www.battleofrichmond.org/reenactment.htm

Come On Down!

by Krumlovgirl Written Dec 5, 2002

Favorite thing: I think Richmond is a great town. A lot of tourists go to Richmond because there are a lot of possibilities when it comes to things to do. I’ll add some of our tourist destinations on another page, bust aside from them, Richmond is pretty beautiful. My biggest tip is just to come and see us!

Fondest memory: What I miss most when I am away from Richmond are the beautiful drives in the country that I take whenever I am stressed out. We have some beautiful palisades down by the river, and some gorgeous cliffs in the southern part of the county. Everything is very clean and bright and it is very soothing.

Christmas Lights

by Krumlovgirl Written Dec 14, 2006

Favorite thing: One of my favorite things to do is to drive around and look at Christmas lights during the holidays. I love the people who go all out and really decorate. The more, the better. I can just imagine the people shopping for the decorations and having fun putting them up, because only people that really get into the holiday mode can decorate like that. Sure, some of them might be tacky, but that's what makes it fun. It's all heart.

Church Baby Sales

by Krumlovgirl Written May 30, 2007

Favorite thing: Twice a year, in the spring and in the summer, local churches hold consignment sales where they resale baby and children’s items. You can find anything from playpens to toys and clothes for very reasonable prices. Eastside Baptist and the First United Methodist Church have the biggest and best sales. To get the best selection you have to get there early the first day although on the last day they usually mark things down half price. We got some terrific deals this year, mostly on clothes and blankets. If you decide to sell something of your own then you’re allowed to go in the night before the sale starts and get to do some early bird shopping.

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Richmond Favorites

Reviews and photos of Richmond favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Richmond sightseeing.