Richmond Shopping

by Little_Lou_Lou
    by Little_Lou_Lou

Most Recent Shopping in Richmond

• Little_Lou_Lou's Profile Photo

Willcutt Music: If you need it, they can get it!

by Little_Lou_Lou Written May 30, 2007

Full line of guitars, amps, PA equipment, recording , lighting and keyboards. This place has or can get anything a true musician could need. Anything from instruments (I bought my drumset here) to recording equipment (I got my mics and control pannel here too). It doesn't have those cruddy back up tapes, though so if that's you're thing...keep looking!!!

What to pay: Depends on the shopper. I spend any where from $10.00 (sticks) to, well, I'm not saying because recording equipment is not cheap!!!

Remedy

I love vintage clothes!

Note: Yes, Remedy has closed too, which means I now have nowhere to buy my dresses. But, I will leave up the review for old time's sake.

Remedy is a new eclectic store so new in Richmond that I had trouble locating a phone number for them. They opened in the Spring of 2005 and are located across from the court house on Main Street. It’s a tiny tiny store but they have some neat things in it. It seems to be mostly vintage and I have found everything from old concert T-shirts to cowboy hats and old aluminum lunch boxes with TV shows from the early eighties on them. Their stock changes frequently so it’s a good place to pop into on a regular basis.

The Gift Box

by Krumlovgirl Updated May 27, 2007

Note: Alas, this store has closed as well. BUt I am leaving my review in honor of it since it was one of my faves.

This is a wonderful store. I always go there to get myself in the Christmas spirit. It's Chrimstas year round!!!! Trees, lights, decorations, music, apple cider...It really is a magical place to be. During the rest of the year they have other decorations as well, but this is mainly a holiday place. It's just open all the time.

Irene's

Irene's

Note: Irene's is now closing. Shame, really. It was a good place to buy formal wear in Richmond, although the dresses sometimes went for $400 and over. I went in there to buy a prom dress when I was in high school and found one that I really liked. Until she told me that I was too fat for it. Back then, I weight a little under 90 pounds so there is no telling what she should think of me now. At any rate, it will be sad to see the empty storefront on Main Street.

What to pay: A lot! :-)

Roadside Produce

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 8, 2005

I admit it, I shop at Wal-Mart. I try not to, and I totally understand the arguments against shopping there, but it’s just so convenient. The one thing I don’t buy there in the summer is any kind of fruits and vegetables. Farming is a lost art around here these days, but if you know where to look you will find that there is always someone set up on the side of the road selling anything you want. We do have a farmer’s market, but since that is only one day a week the best thing to do is to go for a drive. You mostly see the farmers set up on the side of the road on 25, the road that runs from Richmond to Berea. They sell the stuff right out of their cars. It’s easy to pass them up so you have to keep your eyes peeled. You’ll find people with tomatoes, corn, apples, watermelons, chairs (?) and basically whatever you else you could want. The prices are usually pretty good (cheaper than at the store) and you can feel better knowing that the money went to a farmer instead of a large corporation. You’ll find them set up from early morning to late afternoon, although you should really go pretty early in the day to get the best produce.

What to pay: The other day my friend that runs a local restaurant paid $8 for a crate of tomatoes. That's pretty good.

Richmond Mall

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 8, 2005

While quite small in comparison to many area malls, the Richmond Mall is still a pretty decent place to shop around in. The anchor stores are Penney’s and Goody’s and besides those they have Maurice’s, Fashion Bug, DEB’s, KB Toys, a formal wear shop, Payless, Clair’s, the requisite four jewelry shops, and some other stores that come and go pretty frequently. I like going out there and walking around and since my feet are so small (I wear children’s shoes) I always duck into Payless because nobody else in Richmond carries my size. There’s a pretty good pizza place (buffet) that’s a good places for families (we take ours there and it doesn’t matter if they’re loud) and a movie theatre that mostly stays on top of the new releases. On the weekends it gets packed during the night with teenagers. There really isn’t a lot to do in Richmond for them but go to the mall. I know I did it when I was a teenager. I guess they’re just carrying on the tradition. But if you get bothered by loud noisy groups of girls with too much makeup and guys trying to be ghetto then you might want to stay away on those nights. Ah…to be young again.

White Hall Gift Shop

by Krumlovgirl Written Dec 15, 2004

White Hall- Cassius's office

This is pretty much your standard museum gift shop, although there are items that you can buy there that you might not be able to find elsewhere. You can get local history books, books about Cassius Clay (check out my friend Keven McQueen's bio about him), and several different kinds of period crafts. You can also buy postcards and prints of the house.

Creative Arts By Sherri

by Krumlovgirl Updated Nov 17, 2004

Creative Arts by Sherri

Mostly a framing store, they also sell paintings both framed and unframed. I have found some really great paintings here and they have some amazing sales where you can get good stuff for a little of nothing. They do a really good job of framing and matting and I come here for all of my portrait needs.

Currier's Music

by Krumlovgirl Written Nov 17, 2004

Lots of stuff going on in this store. Music lessons, instruments, sheet music, and accesories for all types. Located on Main Street, this place has been around for a long time. If you can't find it here then you probably can't find it anywhere. They also carry karaoke tapes and CDs. Oh, and you can pay your phone bill here as well. Go figure.

Bybee Pottery

a piece of Bybee that I own

Bypee pottery is the oldest potery west of the Alleghenies. It's actually located in Bybee, about ten minutes outside of Richmond, and on Tuesday mornings they have huge sales. You have to get there early but you can get some incredible deals if you're willing to push and shove and fight your way inside. (No, I am not making this up.) The pottery is mostly white with blue spots on it, although the color scheme can also be pink, red, green...Made from local clay.

What to pay: As little as a couple of dollars for a small item to $100 or more.

The Added Touch

the Added Touch

I've known Sharon for a long time now and she continuously impresses me with her creativity. Aside from running the shop out of her home, she is also a wonderful wedding/party coordinator. Her shop has everything from candles to antiques and trinkets. You never really know what you are going to find. In the back she has a pretty little garden that some of her guests use as a wedding setting.

Peddler's Mall

by Krumlovgirl Written Nov 16, 2004

Peddler's Mall

This is basically just a big indoor flea market, but as far as indoor flea markets go, this one is better than most. It's convienently located behind Rally's and next to Goodwill and although the hours are strange (never seems to be open long enough) the inside is well kept and doesn't have an overly cluttered look to it. You can find everything from new furniture to swords and porcelain dolls. I bought a hoop skirt there from the 1800's for about $10. It was in perfect shape. I like going in and wandering around sometimes, even if I don't buy anything.

What to pay: Since the store is broken up into booths, the prices vary. They can range from the ridiculously cheap to the extragavant-especially if you're looking at antiques.

• Crafted Traditions: Gifts and Prints in Richmond

by roger9999 Updated Mar 27, 2008
    Summer Flowers with Dew

Gifts and Things for the Home, most from region or Kentucky
    Home of Roger Potts Photography Cards and Prins

What to buy: Cards, Candles, Pottery, Prints, and Local Wood Crafts

What to pay: $2.00-$500:00

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Richmond Shopping

Reviews and photos of Richmond shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Richmond sightseeing.