Richmond Things to Do

• Inside theater lobby - line for a midnight release
    Inside theater lobby - line for a...
    by carrie.kindred

Most Recent Things to Do in Richmond

• wenterskye's Profile Photo

Richmond Teatime

by wenterskye Written Nov 6, 2005

Over the weekend I went to my first tea at the Bennett House in Richmond. I’ve been to a couple of teas before, most notably in Las Vegas at what used to be the Four Seasons. I had heard some good things about this tea and was very excited to attend. It turned out to be fantastic. The hosts were extremely friendly, the house beautiful, and the tea wonderful. I didn’t expect nearly as much food as I received. It just seemed to keep coming! We had herb tarts, cake, sorbet, cookies, sandwiches, chicken salad shells, and many other savory delights. I sat at a table with two women that I did not know but we all chatted and got along nicely. One of them goes every month so she knew the ropes. She was a very nice hostess to the rest of us. All of the hosts stopped to ask her about her daughter and I felt like I was having tea with a celebrity. I was able to check out some of the bedrooms in the house as well, and sometime would like to spend the night there as a getaway. I wholly recommend attending the tea. It is expensive, but worth it.

Richmond Downtown Walking Tour of Homes

by Krumlovgirl Updated Aug 12, 2005

This is a self-guided walking tour booklet featuring over 70 historical buildings, homes and churches. Guided tours are available by advance arrangement.

Some of the architecture in Richmond is really very nice. We have a lot of Victorian homes, but we also have some gothic and Georgian. Even a couple Italianate. It's a really nice walk through downtown and afterwards you can dine at one of our downtown restaurants.

one of my fave houses downtown

Eastern School of Hair Design

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 12, 2005

More people should know about this. If you want a manicure, pedicure, cut, or perm and can’t afford to dish money out to the regular places then this is a great place to start. It’s part of the learning process for the students and they’re actually really good. The prices are incredible, too. I recently went with someone and we both got manicures and pedicures for a little under $50 total. I don’t know that I would necessarily trust them with my hair (but the same person has been doing my hair for over ten years so I’m biased) but for basic stuff it’s a really good deal.

after a day at the shop!

Pamper Yourself!

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 12, 2005

Hello Gorgeous is one of our first full service spas here in Richmond. I like to buy massages and facials here as gifts for my friends but I have also used their services. The massages last about an hour (but range from fifteen minutes to an hour and a half) and are incredible. I’ve had massages at other places but this one definitely ranks at the top of the list. The rooms are quiet and soothing and the atmosphere very friendly and relaxed. I have also had one of their European facials and it was wonderful. They include a mini massage of your neck, head, arms, and hands with it and I could barely walk afterwards. I felt like I was drugged. If you’re into waxing they offer full legs, eyebrows, bikini area, face, and the ultimate wax job: the Brazilian. (ouch!) You have to make reservations in advance. I have found that two weeks is ideal. The prices are about average. I generally pay $60 for a one-hour massage and $40 for a facial. It’s a great way to pamper yourself.

Boonesboro Swimming Pool

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 12, 2005

When this pool first opened up it was the only public pool in the area without going to Berea. And today, more than ten years later, it is STILL the only public pool although they voted to put one up at Lake Reba. This Olympic sized pool was a vital part of my youth. My first real boyfriend and I used to go all the time. That was also back when you could swim in the river. We would swim, buy hot dogs, and then go down and walk on the sand. It has a separate area for little children with a water tree and a slide for the more adventurous. Today it generally opens around Memorial Day and closes near Labor Day although the dates can vary.

Note: photo taken by me

Boonesboro swimming pool

Valley View Ferry

by Krumlovgirl Written Aug 2, 2005

The Valley View ferry is the oldest buisiness in Kentucky-it's been running since 1785. Now it's free to take and you can ride it from Madison to Jessamine county and back. There used to be many ferries-Clay's Ferry, Green's Ferry, etc., but this is the only one left from the old days. One thing that we like to do is to take it to Jessamine County and then travel on up the road to Shakertown (Pleasant Hill) which is a MUST to add to your central Kentucky itinerary.

Open M-F 6:00 am to 8:00 pm

Valley View Ferry the old railroad bridge at the ferry

• geanster's Profile Photo

Keeneland Race Track

by geanster Updated Jan 18, 2005

Keeneland was my introduction to the horse races and no other track compares in my memory. :) Every year my friends and I would skip a day of highschool and go there. Unfortunately, their live racing season is very short so you only have a few chances to enjoy them, a few weeks in April and a few weeks in October.

It's located in the midst of some of the lushest green pastures and horse farms in Lexington, within a mile of Blue Grass Airport.

It's also the track where the movie SeaBiscuit was filmed.

4201 Versailles Road

Toll Free: (800) 456-3412

• Casino and Gambling

Battle of Richmond Self-Guided Tour

by Krumlovgirl Updated Dec 15, 2004

The Battle of Richmond tour is part of the Civil War Trust Discovery Trail and the Kentucky Civil War Heritage Trail. The battle was fought on Aug. 29-30, 1862, and was the second largest Civil War battle in Kentucky. It was also one of the most decisive and complete Confederate victories of the entire war with the Union army retreating in disarray and chaos. 1,000 Union troops were killed, compared to the 118 Confederate troops that were.
    You can follow the path on a self-guided driving tour of the battlefields and skirmish areas. Audio cassette or cd narratives are available for sale or refundable deposit. Complete tour lasts approximately two hours.

Deer Run Stables

by Krumlovgirl Updated Dec 15, 2004

At this place, you can bring a group, your family, or just yourself. They do special things for kids throughout the year and have a good reputation as a nice place to ride horses-which is what you should do while in the Bluegrass region!

riders at Deer Run Stables
    • Horse Riding

Gibson Bay Golf

by Krumlovgirl Updated Dec 15, 2004

Gibson Bay is a 7,100 yard, par 72 course and offers a great golf course located in the Lake Reba park complex. "Golf Week" magazine rated it as the 16th best municipal golf course in the United States. I know lots of people who actually come from other states to play here. Check out their website for more info., since I am not really a golf person.

Gibson Bay
    • Golf

Ft. Boonesboro State Park

by Krumlovgirl Updated Dec 15, 2004

The Ft. Boonesboro State Park is a really interesting place. It's right off the interstate, but when you walk through the gates you feel as if you have stepped back in time. A good tour of the fort takes about an hour. Artisans are on hand to demonstrate crafts such as candle and soap making, and living historians walk around, acting out life in the 1700s.

I worked there are a tourguide for a summer and had a blast. I made candles on some days, lye soap on other days, and toys on really alternate schedule days. At Christmas they do a traditional Christmas market and on Halloween they sometimes do a "haunting" of the Fort.

If you want to see it AND White Hall, then you can buy a value ticket. They're within five minutes of one another.

me in my Ft. Boonesboro costume

Italianate Splendor

by Krumlovgirl Updated Dec 15, 2004

You must visit White Hall State Historic Site. It was the 44 room mansion belonging to emancipationist Cassius Clay. The house is gorgeous itself, but Cassius's own personal history is unbelieveable. In his prime, he was a dashing, romantic ambassador to Russia. He then married at 14 year old girl at the age of 80 and beat up three intruders at the age of 92. He kept a canon on his third floor balcony and shot at some government people when they came and tried to get him to pay his taxes, and he freed all of his slaves way before the Civil War. Fascinating man.

I was a tour guide at the mansion for two years and loved working there. The question we always got asked the most was whether or not the house is haunted. All I have to say is this: I had some very freaky moments there alone. If you're in the area areound Halloween, they do a special event called "Ghostwalk." Actors come in and portray the people from the past who lived there and act out scenes from their lives. It's all done at night and is candelight. A very interesting experience.

me in my White Hall costume

Wilgreen Lake

by Krumlovgirl Written Sep 24, 2004

Large fishing lake stocked with bass, crappie and blue gill. Full service snack bar. Artificial and live bait. Rods and reels for public use. Paddle boats and boats with and without motors available. Open March-December. Handicap accessible.

I might be a little biased because I used to hang out at this lake all the time. It was within distance of my house and I rode my bike to it a lot. Now, in my eyes, it was a great quiet place to hang out at and relax. In the eyes of true fishermen and "lake people", it probably isn't that spectacular. But I still go.

Lake WIlgreen
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Adventure Travel

Support Downtown-Richmond Area Arts Center

by Krumlovgirl Written Sep 24, 2004

The Arts Center is a historical church building which houses art displays, music workshops, children's programs, concerts and much more. It's great because for once Richmond actually utilized a building for a new purpose instead of tearing it down building a shopping center.

Richmond Area Arts Center

Central Kentucky Wildlife Management Area

by Krumlovgirl Written Sep 24, 2004

1,688 acre wildlife area offers a variety of activities, including skeet shooting, field trial, trap shoot, hunting and fishing. Several different kinds of small game can also be found such as deer, song birds, rabbits, quail, turkey and dove. Three spacious lakes are located on the property. Open from dawn to dusk.

• Fishing
    • National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Richmond

Comments

Richmond Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Richmond things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Richmond sightseeing.