Shelbyville Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Restaurants

Shelbyville Things to Do

• by dzni Written Oct 5, 2002

This is the largest buffalo ranch in the southeastern U.S. It's out in the country, so be ready for some fresh air! :) In addition to the restaurant here, serving up healthy buffalo, there seemed to be other activites, such as a paddle boat on the pond/lake, a tram tour to go see the buffalo, a small animal exhibit. Not really sure about everything, to be honest, but I think a family could have a nice few hours here! Although, if you want to see the buffalo, you can just drive a little bit farther on SR 12 and be able to see them on the right side! There's also a gift shop here selling stuff like country jam.

Shelbyville Hotels

Shelbyville Restaurants

• by dzni Written Oct 5, 2002

Claudia was the wife of Col. Harland Sanders (of famed Kentucky Fried Chicken). Anyway, this restaurant is in a Southern-style mansion and serves real country cooking. I mean, this food is really... well, country! :) Anyway, it's a nice place, but still casual, I'd say. Anyway, it's been years since I've been here. You may want to check it out if you're around Louisville, Shelbyville or Frankfort, if you want some country cooking. They of course have fried chicken. I had some country ham here. Well, after eating it here, I was turned off for good. It is the saltiest thing I have ever eaten! Blech!!! This is characteristic of all country hams, so... ick, just don't eat country ham unless you absolutely love and crave salt.

• by dzni Written Oct 5, 2002

Actually an old, converted girls school. Antiques everywhere, etc.... food is traditional Southern cooking, from what I could tell. So you're likely to find green beans and mashed taters on your plate. My favorite part, personally, was dessert. I bet they have pecan pie too, which is my favorite thing down here in the South!!

Favorite Dish: Dessert... some sort of berry dish, quite good

• by dzni Written Oct 5, 2002

I just ate here the other day and, WOW, was it excellent! They serve buffalo here, fresh from the ranch where the restaurant sits. I've had buffalo out west, but I never thought they'd be serving it here in Kentucky! :-) Anyway, the restaurant is fairly country, with checkerboard-patterned tablecloths in a pretty informal dining area. They bring you some fried biscuits before your food comes out, and WOW, let me tell you, they are absolutely delicious! They bring you some Boisonberry sauce to put on these fresh, hot biscuits, and it makes them even better!!! Really, I've never had anything quite like these biscuits... I should have asked for more, but I was stuffed after the meal as it was! And yes, the buffalo hamburger was excellent as well!! :)

Shelbyville Transportation

• by dzni Written Oct 5, 2002

You'll have to make your way here from either Louisville or Lexington, where we have our two major airports... oh, or Covington. Anyway, just drive east on I-64 from Louisville or east on US 60 to Shelbyville. US 60 is by far more scenic than the interstate.
    Car... maybe walk downtown ?? traffic can be kind of heavy here too at times.

Instant Answers: Shelbyville

Comments

Shelbyville Travel Guide
Map of Shelbyville